🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

Meet the Guild

Scatha

The dragon of wrath
Reaction score
Thanks Eledhwen, but this is something that often puzzles me.

I am a dutchman, living in France, yet finding myself correcting english native speakers on their language. Now I know my english is certainly not the worst around, so I have been told on many occasion, but it still strikes me as odd. Does this entail that the level of the english language taught in the netherlands is quiite high, or that the teaching/use of it in the country of origin is fading?

I'll leave you with a quote I read recently:

England and America are two countries, divided by the same language. ;)

gilgalad

Master of the Universe
Reaction score
Originally posted by Scatha
TDoes this entail that the level of the english language taught in the netherlands is quiite high, or that the teaching/use of it in the country of origin is fading?
I think it's simply the case (as with all languages) that people who are not native speakers of a language will take more care when using it as they often need to think more carefully about what they're going to say, the upshoot of which being that they are more likely to have correct grammer, vocab and whatnot.
From my own experience it seems that a native speaker is more interested in simply getting his point across, whereas a foreigner is often overly concerned with his/her manner of speaking.

C

celebdraug

Originally posted by Scatha
Celebdraug, I think the proper oxford term would be: Marvellous! ;)
Alright Govener! :D But i think Marvellous is kind of a posh term for me!:D. Okay, so now i see why you think im american! lol!
I need to inprove my English vocab.

Scatha

The dragon of wrath
Reaction score
You may have a point there, gil. But is it not also a fact, that a foreigner (even when he is not so concerned with his grammar) is more likely to use less slang?

Celeb, you're doing fine, but you now know why people would think so. Tally Ho. ;)

C

celebdraug

(Scatha- im not a guy.) :rolleyes: :rolleyes: im a girl!!

You may have a point there, gil. But is it not also a fact, that a foreigner (even when he is not so concerned with his grammar) is more likely to use less slang?
English is my second language! My mother tounge is 'Gujrati' (and asian language!) But i have been speeking English from quite a younge age! :)

Gil-Galad

in love
Reaction score
Re: Moderator's note

Originally posted by ithrynluin
Guys, could you please cut down on the chit-chat? Some of it is bordering on spam.

Just try to avoid making short chat-like posts, alright?
please have in mind this note by Ithy concerning chit-chatting :)

Morgoth

Bauglir
Reaction score
For my profile, check out page one of this thread. Just goes to show how long I had been absent for.

Grond

Morgoth's Mace
Reaction score
Hello!!

Well... I'm grond. I used to be quite popular here but the real world has intruded and forced me out of Middle-earth. It was with the effort of many that this guild has become a force to be reckoned with and I am very proud of that... and very proud of everyone who had a part in that... especially Lhun and all the other GM and Deputy GM's who made this happen.

I wish all of you the best and hope that you will think of me with fondness and know that I still love Tolkien and I still think of you all.

Cheers,

grond

Thread suggestions