🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

Men's sex appeal!!

Camille

Of the Edain
Reaction score
Ok probably I have nothing better to do but...do you realize that only female elves were atracted to men? there is no case of a male elf that got married with a woman!!! what do ME men have? ok just a few of them because there were only 3 or 4 elves/men marriages
wht do you think?

Gary Gamgee

Mr Muckle
Reaction score
I know what you mean I always thought Tolkien should have shacked Eowyn up with Legolas rather than Faramir. But Tolkien was a man of his time and women where more likely, in his day, to give things up for their man rather than the other way round. It's just a value thing I don't think he thought that he was disrespecting women, more likely he was potraying a romantic love that was willing to give up enternity. And what he did with Eowyn having her become a warrior hero shows I think his respect for women.

Beleg Strongbow

Superior Elf
Reaction score
Doriath AND Sydney Australia and where ever "SHE"
Originally posted by Gary Gamgee
I know what you mean I always thought Tolkien should have shacked Eowyn up with Legolas rather than Faramir. But Tolkien was a man of his time and women where more likely, in his day, to give things up for their man rather than the other way round. It's just a value thing I don't think he thought that he was disrespecting women, more likely he was potraying a romantic love that was willing to give up enternity. And what he did with Eowyn having her become a warrior hero shows I think his respect for women.

Yes that could be right, i think it is.

Camille

Of the Edain
Reaction score
Yes!! Well I never though in that thinkig in tolkien being machista! not at all!!! but yes what you said Gary makes sense.
Greetings

Elbereth

Star Queen of Valinor
Reaction score
I think it was more that the men of middle earth were so attracted to the elven maidens...they are the most beautiful people of middle earth afterall.

And with all that testosterone pumping through those men...how could the elven maiden refuse.

Camille

Of the Edain
Reaction score
ha ha ha!!! yes you made a good point!!! I think that male elves had thier testosterone level ok.
Bye

Elbereth

Star Queen of Valinor
Reaction score
I don't know Camille...I think some of the elves testosterone levels were a little weak. You see so many elven men who spend so much time singing and making jewelry...The elven women weren't stupid...they knew a good male when they saw one. :p :D :p

I.am.Smeagol

Reaction score
*Giggles* Hmm, I dont really like the elf female/human male combo. I dunno. Okies, most of the elf guys were kind of weak on the male-ish side, but c'mon; Elrond is one tough cookie.

Tarien

Patron of Oboists
Reaction score
I think it's because the Elven men had enough sense not to fall for some silly mortal girl. Because come on! Among humans, which is the sillier gender? Duh much? Elven girls were so much cooler. And besides, Elrond married Celebrian, daughter of Galadriel and Celeborn, an ELF.

elvish-queen

Isilwen Elenrohir
Reaction score
Wandering Middle Earth with my horse, Linta
No, no no, you got it all wrong...
It's because there's so few decent males out there (elves or men)that the poor women had to look in both species! Elves had so many pretty maidens that they didn't have to look out of their species, and the same with humans, but the poor gals had a tough time finding anyone even half decent,:rolleyes: still a problem:rolleyes: . I mean, you couldn't exactly say Elrond is attractive, but yet there isn't a single ugly girl in the book! So in other words they had more decent girls than guys!:( It's a sad case, I know!

I rest my case!:D

Gamil Zirak

The Ladies' Dwarve
Reaction score
When I first read the title of this thread I though it was about whether the males here think they have sex appeal. Since it's not, I'll through my two sense in.

I think it had to do with the Elven madens and their beauty. Now, I'm not saying that the human woman were unatractive (personally, I think woman was one of God's most beautiful and wonderful creations). Tolkien makes an extra effort to point out how fair the elven madens are. Gimli even threatens to battle Éomer over doubting the beauty of Galadriel.

Camille

Of the Edain
Reaction score
ha ha but no maiden elf married a dwarf ever!!, I was thinking thast hte fact of an she-elf/man marriage was ok but it is never a male elf and a woman, maybe it was because the female elves were more beautiful than woman :( , what do you think about this couple: Eowyn and legolas :D

Gamil Zirak

The Ladies' Dwarve
Reaction score
I don't think Legolas was interested in marriage. He just didn't come across like that. Once he smelt the sea air, that's all he could think about.

I think the male Elves have a lot more on there minds than just getting married. They do live forever so they figure they can do that anytime. As for Eowyn, she had the hots for Aragorn.

Also, an Elf would never marry a Dwarve. They have too many issues about each other. On top of that, the Dwarves weren't the nicest looking fellows (That's putting it nicely).

Elbereth

Star Queen of Valinor
Reaction score
It was mentioned in "The Unfinished tales" that there were pairings of Woman and Orc...resulting in people of half man/half orc origins...most notably known as the squint eyed Southener at Bree.

I wonder what that says about Women in Middle earth? Perhaps they had bad taste in men. Or they were not very attractive.

Camille

Of the Edain
Reaction score
Uhhh poor women, oh my good, and orc/man kid poor women.
yeah maybe the male elf were more concern about the poetry, their bow, the orcs....

Gamil Zirak

The Ladies' Dwarve
Reaction score
Didn't it say in the LOTR that Orcs were bread with humans to make the Uruk-hai? I don't have the book in front of me, but I think it was Sarumon who oversaw the breading.

The poor women. Orcs so are hideous.

Thread suggestions