🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

Middle Earth Language

Nimawae's hope

Born at a very early age
Reaction score
Hail and well met, Shire Warrior!
The best language to learn depends on what you want to learn it for. By far the best language in terms of beauty would be none other thatn High Elven!

However, if you are seeking a language for its practicality, speak the hobbits' language (its name escapes me right now), for in all of Middle-Earth there always seems to be someone who is able to speak to the hobbits in their own tongue. I wonder why that is. Does anyone have any suggestions? Oh, well. I prefer to speak elven, it has a fairer than any language I have ever heard.

Cian

sylvan madman
Reaction score
Originally posted by Nimawae's hope
However, if you are seeking a language for its practicality, speak the hobbits' language (its name escapes me right now), for in all of Middle-Earth there always seems to be someone who is able to speak to the hobbits in their own tongue. I wonder why that is. Does anyone have any suggestions?
'Cause the Hobbits in LotR spoke a dialect of the Common Speech :) the C.S. had become the native language of nearly all the folk (save Elves) who dwelt within the old bounds of the old kingdoms of Arnor and Gondor + details (the C. S. was a second lang to some) The more detailed travels and bounds of the lang. are given in the Appendices.

We don't know much about this M-e tongue however, the most practical to know for going back to Frodo's time, but one example could be one of the Hobbits names ~ there was no "Samwise" for instance, in the 'real' shire, Sam's name was actualy Ban short for Banazîr

Thread suggestions