🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

Middle Earth Language

B

Barry Scott

Sorry Guys, i have only taken up the Tolkien adventures at 20 years of age...i am a little behind. Is there any guides or internet sites where i can learn the middle earth languages?

Any help apreciated?

Ciryaher

Witch of Resurrection
Reaction score
There are several resources one can use to learn about the languages in M-E.

The Languages of Tolkien's Middle-Earth by Ruth S. Noel. Not entirely accurate, according to some, but helpful.

The Appendices in Return of the King contain a few bits of information.

The Histories of Middle-Earth are littered with terminology and other words.

I'm sure there are numerous web-sites, as well.

Lantarion

no house
Reaction score
Quenya and Sindarin are very difficult and complicated languages to learn, even though there are many important words missing. Anyway, a really good book, which helps you learn and tells you about the Elvish languages and about the Tengwar, is Jim Allan's An Introduction to Elvish. The full name is a lot longer. Anyway, it's a very good source, I use it myself. :)
Welcome, Barry-me-lad! :D

Halasían

Dunedain Ranger
Reaction score
I learned to write the Tengwar when i first read Lord of the Rings, but alas, I have lost the knowledge. I need to study and practice the scripting again.

Thread suggestions