🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

Mind-speaking Elves

Wood Elf

Reaction score
At the end of RoTK, when the group splits and Galadriel, Celeborn, Elrond, and the elves that went with them and Gandalf are sitting around the campfire north of Dunland, and Galadriel and Celborn and the Lorien elves are about to part ways, they all mind-talk to eachother, not speaking a word with their mouths, with the exception of the hobbits who are asleep. Can all elves mind-speak if they wish? Legolas doesn't mind-speak at all that I can recall. Is this a special gift all elves have, or only the Lorien elves or something?

Beleg Strongbow

Superior Elf
Reaction score
Doriath AND Sydney Australia and where ever "SHE"
Originally posted by Wood Elf
At the end of RoTK, when the group splits and Galadriel, Celeborn, Elrond, and the elves that went with them and Gandalf are sitting around the campfire north of Dunland, and Galadriel and Celborn and the Lorien elves are about to part ways, they all mind-talk to eachother, not speaking a word with their mouths, with the exception of the hobbits who are asleep. Can all elves mind-speak if they wish? Legolas doesn't mind-speak at all that I can recall. Is this a special gift all elves have, or only the Lorien elves or something?

I'm not sure but galadriel, gandalf and elrond have their rings?? It was just 4 of them no other elves went with them.
Maybe Celeborn has known Galadriel for so long he can read and communicate with her mind. But they are all high elves except Gandalf and Celeborn and they have both seen the trees 2. (In some stories.)
Maybe it has something to do with that. But i doubt all elves can speak with just their mind. Because i haven't heard of any other instance. Hope that helps.

Wood Elf

Reaction score
It says in the book Pg. 963

Here now for seven days they tarried, for the time was at hand for another parting which they were loth to make. Soon Celeborn and Galadriel AND THEIR FOLK would turn eastward... caps done by me for emphasis.
So I think there was a group of Lorien elves with them. Maybe they went to bed too along with the hobbits? Hmm..?

Aldanil

mad about mallorn
Reaction score
Consider also that this meeting of mind-speech which Celeborn shares with the wearers of the Three before the Lord and Lady of the Golden Wood return to Lothlorien is the last time he appears in the Tale (save for the Appendices, of course) and foreshadows that sadder parting when Galadriel sails from the Grey Havens without him.

Wood Elf

Reaction score
Wait, Celeborn is left behind? :( Geez. Doesn't he eventually go to the Grey Havens? So the three can mind-talk due to the rings, huh? Maybe Celeborn had a magic bracelet or something, so he could listen in too! (jk, no harm meant! :))

Tar-Elenion

Reaction score
Actually they could not 'mind-talk' because of the Rings. The Rings were rendered powerless after the destruction of the One. They could 'mind-talk' because this was a natural ability of the Incarnates (called 'sanwe-latya', 'thought-opening').

Aldanil

mad about mallorn
Reaction score
thanks for the linguistic tip, Tar-Elenion

I anticipate considerable pleasure in the tracking down of that "sanwe-latya" and its original appearance in "thought-opening" context; is it Quenya, as I presume? Can you point me in the best direction to start looking?

Thread suggestions