🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

Mistake??

R

Rohansangel

Is this a mistake I see?

OK, when Gollum asks who Bilbo is, Bilbo says: "I am Mr. Bilbo Baggins. I have lost the dwarves and I have lost the wizard, and I don't know where I am; and I don't want to know, if only I could get away." NOTICE: Bilbo NEVER says he is from the Shire ... But later on in Lord of the Rings, Gollum says that Bilbo told him that he was from the Shire. Is this a mistake I see?!?!

~The Angel of Rohan

R

Rohansangel

I just checked and nowhere did Bilbo even mention the Shire ... But Tolkien doesn't make mistakes! This cannot be! I'm going to research it.

~The Angel of Rohan

Bill the Pony

Reaction score
Rohansangel, I think you're right that the Shire is not mentioned in the hobbit. (In fact, I could not find it anywhere in the book. Do you think the name was not invented back then?) But where does it say Gollum learned from Bilbo where he was from? In 'a shadow from the past' Gandalf says:

What is more, he knew where he came from.’
‘But how did he find that out?’ asked Frodo.
‘Well, as for the name, Bilbo very foolishly told Gollum himself; and after that it would not be difficult to discover his country, once Gollum came out.
<snip>
But from hints dropped among the snarls I even gathered that his padding feet had taken him at last to Esgaroth, and even to the streets of Dale, listening secretly and peering. Well, the news of the great events went far and wide in Wilderland, and many had heard Bilbo’s name and knew where he came from. We had made no secret of our return journey to his home in the West. Gollum’s sharp ears would soon learn what he wanted.

Last edited:
R

ReadWryt

Yep, apparently so. I guess that even though creating whole languages, both written and spoken, as well as incorperating the Hobbit into the timeline of the pre-existing Silmarillion, an entire mythical pre-history for the planet and all of mankind, he missed a thing or two along the way...

Greenwood

The Guild of Ost-in-Edhil
Reaction score
There is no mistake. In The Hobbit Bilbo only tells Gollum his name (Bilbo Baggins). In The Shadow of the Past chapter in FOTR Gandalf says that Bilbo foolishly told Gollum his name. Gandalf does not say that Bilbo told Gollum where he came from. Gandalf says that Gollum eventually came out from under the mountains and found his way to Esgaroth on Long Lake and that there it was not hard for Gollum to find out where Bilbo came from since he was well known after the Battle of Five Armies.

Dhôn-Buri-Dhôn

Formerly Donnie B.
Reaction score
Actually, Gandalf states (at the CoE?) that Sauron learned two things from Gollum: 'Baggins' and 'Shire'.

It never occurred to me to check whether Bilbo ever told Gollum where he lived. Good catch, Rohansangel!

Could Gollum have learned where Hobbits lived after leaving the Misty Mountain caverns?

Beorn

In the shadows
Staff member
Reaction score
Well, actually, Shire is not mentioned a single time in the entire Hobbit. I searched for it in my computer copy...

I still think this could be an error. All that is said in by the Long Lake was in the book, except for perhaps when it said the boats were prepared. I doubt a hobbit would've made the mistake of saying, "We are from the Shire" when only one of them was.

legoman

Humourous Bombadillian #2
Reaction score
Now then why are there two threads on exactly the same subject, surely wasting the moderators memroy space here, you should know better than that rohansangel.
Also this has been answered via the art of book quoting in 'the hobbit' forum.

R

Rohansangel

Yea, the truest of true Tolkien fans could say, NO, TOLKIEN didn't make a mistake, it was BILBO'S fault ... But Tolkien could have done it on purpose, I guess it's possible that he wanted it that way. But somehow, I think he just overlooked it.
The double posting was actually accidental, Legoman ...

~The Angel of Rohan

Gary Gamgee

Mr Muckle
Reaction score
No gollum does say baggins shire in CoE as has already been said, so this was probably a mistake or perhaps smeagol after all being a hobbit remembered where bilbo's kind went.

R

Rohansangel

That was already said, Goroshimura. But whatever.
How did Sauron know that Bilbo was a hobbit?

~The Angel of Rohan

Thread suggestions