🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

Mistakes

FrodetteBaggins

Reaction score
I hate to say this but there is one mistake that I noticed in The Fellowship of the Ring movie. When Frodo is in Rivendale and he is talking to Bilbo, he undoes his shirt and the necklace with the ring can be seen but when Bilbo goes to grab it and he does his shirt up again, it is gone. I just wondered if anyone else had seen this mistake or any others?:confused:

Tar-Palantir

Reaction score
Frodette,

I didn't notice that one - I'll have to look closer next time! But I did notice that Gimli magically produced another axe after destroying his at the council. Or, did he steal Gloin's? :)

FrodetteBaggins

Reaction score
I think he picked it up in the Mines of Moria from another Dwarf but Im not sure. Im glad someone else noticed that about the necklace. Thought I was going mad.

FrodetteBaggins

Reaction score
Hang on Ive just got it...when he tried to destoy the ring and he broke his he used his mates to give to Frodo when he promised him his axe.

pgt

Reaction score
How about Gandalf being 'staffless' in Isengard as well as when he hitches a ride on the eagle but later in Rivendell etc. he's got his staff back! Maybe it's just a loaner! ;-)

R

ReadWryt

Then there are the "Dancing Tears" of Frodo as the dewy drops of dread change from one cheek to the other...

aragil

Just another loremaster
Reaction score
Secondarily Beautiful State of Washington
pgt- my favorite explanation of Gandalf getting is staff is ReadWryt's narrative, I think in the 'What changes in the movie ticked you off' thread. But other than that, what of the 'gaff sites' linked up by our webmaster actually had an explanation. Apparently somebody waded though all the 'pre-release' pictures, and noticed that Gandalf had a distinctly different staff before and after the Isengard incident. I still liked ReadWryt's explanation better.

FrodetteBaggins

Reaction score
Gandalf has two staffs so thats why he has a staff after it being stolen. The tops of both of the staffs are different:
The branches on the tip of the first one are almost straight and theres a spot for his pipe to fit in. On the second one the branches on the tip are bent to one side. Both of these can be seen in pre-release pictures.

chrome_rocknave

Frodo Lives!
Reaction score
Hmmm....I didnt notice the ring thing but I did notice this:

Near the end of the movie at the Urak-hai fight on Amon Hen, while Aragorn is fighting with the orcs (right after Frodo leaves)...an orc falls on Aragorn, and Aragorn shoves his knife into its stomach and the orc falls down. However, you can tell that the orc has the sword under its armpit (like something you'd see in a low-budget community theater thing). Has anyone else seen this??

L

LeGoLaSgIrL21

rocknave

hey!i've noticed the same thing...........but i didn't take it that seriously though, i was just like, ok....where is it.....oh well, maybe it's just inside's his t-shirt or something.......but here's what i'm gonna tell ya, ya know the time when bilbo suddenly looked like......well, when he doesn't look like himself cos he wanted to get the ring....well, me and sis were so surprised that our shouts were like, it echoed so loud and everyone looked at us, and my sister was like "whaat?"......:p

R

ReadWryt

I have this theory about the Staff thing. I suspect that, since the staff is just this hunk of wood, and Gandalf caries a sword and has been alive for over a thousand years, My theory is that the old guy figured out somewhere along the way how to hack a branch off a tree and make a new staff. I might be wrong though, he might have no concept and had to stop off at a convenience store and buy another big twig!

As for Gimli's Axe Fetish, the guy is a dwarf and is armed with weapons that can be thrown, do you REALLY think he walks around with only one of them? From what I understand he starts out with three Axes and breaks one.

I should look at the movie just for continuity errors some time. Most movies are full of them but you just never notice them. Star Wars was rife with the things. My favorite is the "Dancing Salt Shaker" scene in Obi Wan's when R2 is projecting the message from Leah and every time they show her projected on the table from a different angle the position and number of objects on the table changes...a lot.

Thrakerzog

Reaction score
I had assumed Frodo slid the ring under his shirt after Bilbo lunged at him - to hide it from Bilbo so that Bilbo wouldn't want it.

1. I havn't heard this anywhere, but I sware I saw it the first time I watched the movie - At some point while Gandalf is in the Shire his shoulder is in the bottom right corner of the screen and it looks like a boom-mike slips into the scene from the bottom right and covers over his shoulder.
It could be a shadow, I only noticed it the first time I saw the movie, didn't pay attention enough, but I really think I saw a boom mike. Could be very wrong.

2. When Boromier has three arrows in him from Lurtz they keep switching scenes and in at least two of the scenes close up on Boromier one of the arrows, the second arrow shot, is missing but the "blood hole" is there. Then later the arrow is there again.

3. On the top of Orthanc, when Sarumon is there, they have Gandalf standing on a wall! How big a screwup is that?! They accidently made him standing on the wall of Orthanc overhanging the drop to the ground... That is bad editing I think.

These are the main things I noticed.

Last edited:
L

LeGoLaSgIrL21

i haven't really read the books yet, i mean i'm just getting started in chapter one, so i don't really know some of the mistakes and some of the changes that peter jackson did, all i know is no ones perfect, and i think it's ok if he made some changes cos a movie is not supposed to be a novel.or a novel is not supposed to be a movie:confused: :confused: :confused: , but i think he did a great job on the movie, i mean a lot people had tried to make this movie but none of them have ever succeded..............so there:(

chrome_rocknave

Frodo Lives!
Reaction score
Originally posted by LeGoLaSgIrL21
i haven't really read the books yet, i mean i'm just getting started in chapter one, so i don't really know some of the mistakes and some of the changes that peter jackson did, all i know is no ones perfect, and i think it's ok if he made some changes cos a movie is not supposed to be a novel.or a novel is not supposed to be a movie:confused: :confused: :confused: , but i think he did a great job on the movie, i mean a lot people had tried to make this movie but none of them have ever succeded..............so there:(
These aren't really film vs. book mistakes we're talking about here. This is mainly editing mistakes. Ex: one minute there's a tear on one side of Frodo's face and the next minute its on the other side of his face...

Also, I suggest that after you finish FOTR, you should read The Two Towers before you see The Two Towers so you will have a better understanding and perception for the movie :D

daisy

Reaction score
There is a related website that deals with all of the little errors in the film. The first time I saw the film, I did notice quite a few errors, but after visiting this site, I noticed so many it was distracting, including the ones mentioned here - also Gandalf's disappearing and re-appearing pipe in his initial ride through the shire with Frodo, Frodo's instantaneaous tea preparation when sitting with Gandalf in Bag End before he leaves - Boromir's hand on Aragorn's shoulder as he dies - but from the Aragorn perspective, there is no hand,,, also the floating tears. However, Gimli clearly snatched the axe of his companion during the council of Elrond - did not use his own to try to break the ring. Most people hate little errors in movies but I actually think they make the films more interesting - it shows that even big directors, editore, producers are fallible though I was amazed at how obvious and frequent these errors are in FOTR!!! Did anybody notice any I missed?

Talierin

Still here... sometimes
Reaction score
The one thing I noticed besides the Boromir hand thing was the little leather strap thing that shows up once on Gandalf's hand when he's talking to Saruman in S's study. It's there one shot, and gone the next.

hehehe, the Star Wars fan strikes!!! oooo, RW is in trouble!:D

R

ReadWryt

Bah! Leia, Leah...It's not like Lucas can come up with good names for characters anyways. Darth MAUL...Darth (In)SIDIOUS?? What ever happened to the good old fashioned names for Lackeys and Bad Guys like Ugluk and Sauron? *Snicker*

FrodetteBaggins

Reaction score
Altogether there are about 20 or 30 mistakes in fotr that have been noticed but Im sure more will appear.
The funniest of those being when Sam and Frodo are walking through the field with the scarcrow if you look in the background you can plainly see a car crusing past in the distance from right to left. Ha!
A lot of you have noticed that most of the mistakes are to do with the fight scenes and the dissapearance of the ring. Also what side Frodo cries in is a big one!

Talierin

Still here... sometimes
Reaction score
But Leia isn't pronounce Lee-ah, it's lay-uh...:D
Hehehe, Darth Deciduous...

Anyways...
Another thing I kept noticing is that the chain the ring is on keeps magically dissapearing. :rolleyes:

Thread suggestions