🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

Mordor In Australia

Adrastea

Alone
Reaction score
Read Below or go to this Site

The Lord of the Rings may have won Oscar glory for New Zealand, but Australia has announced that its scientists are on a quest to Australia's own Mordor - "In the land of Mordor, where the shadows lie" to quote from Rings author J R R Tolkien.

Scientists have found that Mordor Pound, in Northern Territory north of Alice Springs, bears a remarkable resemblance to Tolkien's Mordor, a land of horror in Middle-earth.

A picture taken from satellite Landsat 7 705km above the Earth shows the area to be similarly shaped to Tolkien's fictional creation (see the map on page 626 of the book).

Mordor Pound was

discovered in 1972-73 by a team of five geologists and five field assistants mapping for the Australian government's National Mapping organisation.

One of the geologists on the eight-month survey was Alan Langworthy, now based in Darwin. He told the Sunday Star-Times: "We found this area about three to 4km across. On three sides were sheer cliffs rising to 300ft.

"In it were two conical black mountains several hundred feet high made from jet black rock which glittered like gold in the sun.

"There were a lot of wild dingoes and wild camels in the area and casuarina trees. When the wind blows through them it makes terrible sounds, eerie. What with the dingoes and the wild camels, it all added up to make it a horrible place at night."

Langworthy said that all those on the survey were Lord of the Rings fanatics. "We were all mad Rings readers, it was the Bible for the times."

One night his assistant stayed in the area overnight in his vehicle. "He called me up on the radio and said `I've got to get out of here' - he was absolutely petrified. I said `what part of Lord of the Rings are you up to?' and he said `I'm up to Mordor' and I said `Well, you're in Mordor'.

"So then I decided we should call it Mordor. It even had the conical black hills described in the book."

Langworthy, who is such a Tolkien fan he has named his property in Canberra Middle-earth and his three children Christopher, after Tolkien's son and Arwen and Rohan after Rings characters, later discussed naming the place with National Mapping.

"I called the National Mapping office about the name and they said `what's with this Mordor business?' and I said `It's from The Lord of the Rings, it's an adult fairy story.

"And they said `You want to name it after a fairy story? OK'."

Mordor Pound - called Spring Pound by locals before the geologists got to it - is now the subject of intense study by scientists from Geoscience Australia and the Northern Territory Geological Survey.

They have found that the dark rocks in the pound - known as ultramafics - are 1.13 billion years old, younger than other ultramafics in the region.

This information, along with the chemistry of the rocks, is to be used to assess the mineral potential of the area and to piece together exactly how the centre of Australia formed billions of years ago.

Told of the "discovery" of Mordor, Lord of the Rings co-producer Jamie Selkirk laughed, said it sounded "fascinating, but I'd better not make any comment on it".
NOO!!! Mordor=Austalia??? How can this be????

*Starts running to the airport* Run Eomer!!! And anyone else who lives in Australia..!!! Run!!We will catch a plane to America or England and stay with our Forum Friends..Hey wait a minute...What if Australia was Middle-Earth..*Looks around and sees dry and arid bush* Nahh..Never...But the 'Blue Mountains' could be the 'Misty Mountains'..*A Scary thought goes through Chippy's mind* Sorry to all the other people on the forum who have not got a clue about what I am talking about..*Keeps running to the airport*

shadowfax_g

Reaction score
Originally posted by Chippy

NOO!!! Mordor=Austalia??? How can this be????
(snip)

...What if Australia was Middle-Earth..*Looks around and sees dry and arid bush* Nahh..Never...But the 'Blue Mountains' could be the 'Misty Mountains'..*A Scary thought goes through Chippy's mind* Sorry to all the other people on the forum who have not got a clue about what I am talking about..*Keeps running to the airport*
Then my city, Perth, would be The Grey Havens? :)

Adrastea

Alone
Reaction score
LOL!!..Yes ...That would make sense...and Rohan would probably would be the east coast of Australia....

Eomer Dinmention

The Asian Lord
Reaction score
Let me see that would make Melbourne?

Hmmm lets see, i can't remember just say its Rohan

R

RiderofRohan

I've been to Austrailia (it may not be a long way for some of you but i'm from England) its the best place on Earth!

Dûndorer

Reaction score
sorry about this post, my computer screwed up and loaded my home page then i came back to this thread and my post wasnt here. then i posted again and it was here.

Last edited:
R

Retrovertigo

Someone else is in Perth? Cool.. thought I was alls alone.

Thread suggestions