The Tolkien Forum

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

More of my Tolkien illustrations

WonderBroad

Reaction score

Elrond Harbors the Heir of Isildur

"Then Aragorn, being now the Heir of Isildur, was taken with his mother to dwell in the house of Elrond; and Elrond took the place of his father and came to love him as a son of his own. But he was called Estel, that is "Hope", and his true name and lineage were kept secret at the bidding of Elrond; for the Wise then knew that the Enemy was seeking to discover the Heir of Isildur, if any remained upon earth."​

WonderBroad

Reaction score

Only Elrond Knew Fully What This Hour Meant to Him

"Their farewells had been said in the great hall by the fire, and they were only waiting for Gandalf, who had not yet come out of the house. ... Aragorn sat with his head bowed to his knees; only Elrond knew fully what this hour meant to him."

WonderBroad

Reaction score

Even Now the Wind of Thy Hope Cheats Thee

"'Pride and despair!' he cried. 'Didst thou think that the eyes of the White Tower were blind? Nay, I have seen more than thou knowest, Grey Fool. ... All the East is moving. And even now the wind of thy hope cheats thee and wafts up Anduin a fleet with black sails. The West has failed. It is time for all to depart who would not be slaves.'"

WonderBroad

Reaction score

Eomer Finds Eowyn on the Pelennor Fields

"And he looked at the slain, recalling their names. Then suddenly he beheld his sister Eowyn as she lay, and he knew her. He stood a moment as a man who is pierced in the midst of a cry by an arrow through the heart; and then his face went deadly white, and a cold fury rose in him, so that all speech failed him for a while. A fey mood took him. 'Eowyn, Eowyn!' he cried at last. 'Eowyn, how come you here? What madness or devilry is this? Death, death, death! Death take us all!'"

WonderBroad

Reaction score

Frodo Halted, Looking Back

"He stood still enchanted, while the sweet syllables of the elvish song fell like clear jewels of blended word and melody."

WonderBroad

Reaction score

How I Would Drive the Hosts of Mordor!

"What could not a warrior do in this hour, a great leader? What could not Aragorn do? Or if he refuses, why not Boromir? The Ring would give me power of Command. How I would drive the hosts of Mordor, and all men would flock to my banner! "

WonderBroad

Reaction score

Trothplight on Cerin Amroth

"And on the evening of Midsummer Aragorn, Arathorn's son, and Arwen daughter of Elrond went to the fair hill, Cerin Amroth, in the midst of the land, and the walked unshod on the undying grass with elanor and niphredil about their feet. And there upon that hill they looked east to the Shadow and west to the Twilight, and they plighted their troth and were glad."

WonderBroad

Reaction score

Thorondor Bore Up Glorfindel's Body Out of the Abyss

"They buried him in a mound of stones beside the pass; and a green turf came there, and yellow flowers bloomed upon it amid the barrenness of stone, until the world was changed."

WonderBroad

Reaction score

The Nauglamir is Returned to Dior Eluchil

"There came a night of autumn, and when it grew late, one came and smote upon the doors of Menegroth, demanding admittance to the King. He was a lord of the Green-elves hastening from Ossiriand, and the door-wards brought him to where Dior sat alone in his chamber; and there in silence he gave to the King a coffer, and took his leave. But in that coffer lay the Necklace of the Dwarves, wherein was set the Silmaril; and Dior looking upon it knew it for a sign that Beren Erchamion and Luthien Tinuviel had died indeed, and gone where go the race of Men to a fate beyond the world."

WonderBroad

Reaction score

The Spell of the Nightingale

"Then the spell of silence fell from Beren, and he called to her, crying Tinuviel; and the woods echoed the name. Then she halted in wonder, and fled no more, and Beren came to her. But as she looked on him, doom fell upon her, and she loved him; yet she slipped from his arms and vanished from his sight even as the day was breaking."

Halasían

Dunedain Ranger
Reaction score
Again, awesome! Like the Gandalf/Denethor one & Eomer/Eowyn one in this set. I noted most of these are dated in the mid 80's... well before the influence of Peter Jackson's movies. I have to ask you if you have done any since the movies came out?

WonderBroad

Reaction score
I noted most of these are dated in the mid 80's... well before the influence of Peter Jackson's movies. I have to ask you if you have done any since the movies came out?
Not really. During that time, I was doing other illustration not related at all to Tolkien.

And then the literary journal I had been illustrating for, called Mythlore, changed format and no longer accepted art in its pages any more. So I pretty much went on hiatus. I needed a break, anyway.

As you can see, I am not at all influenced by the films in my Tolkien artwork, and never will be--the wonderful consequence of having read the books long before the Peter Jackson films were made (and even before the Bakshi film, too), and being forced to use my imagination, and not someone else's!

But for those who like to illustrate from the movies, that's just fine--especially if they're having fun while they're doing it.

For me, Tolkien's descriptions are more than enough to go on to help create the characters in the mind's eye. I just try to create the pictures I'm seeing in my head.

I'm actually trying to figure out what kind of software I could buy to do some digital Tolkien artwork. Trouble is, I don't like to use a computer mouse as a pen, pencil or brush, so I might have to consider getting one of those electronic tablets (what's the name of the most popular brand? Is it Wacom?)

If anyone has suggestions on the best software to use to create digital painting, please let me know what you recommend.

Right now, my job pretty much eats up my time, and when I do have time, I like to do my own creative writing. But I do miss drawing and painting, and maybe will make more of an effort during the wintertime to do more Tolkien art.

Last edited:

Starbrow

Tolkien Fan
Reaction score
I love your artwork. My favorite is the one of Elrond and young Aragorn. I never thought of their relationship in that way before.

Alcuin

Reaction score
These are excellent illustrations. To my untrained eye, they look as good as any professional illustrations I have seen.

There is a Tolkien group on DeviantArt. Have you thought about posting them there? It would garner you a wider general audience, as well as among Tolkien aficionados. (And please do include a link back here to The Tolkien Forum!)

You are a gifted artist.

WonderBroad

Reaction score
I love your artwork. My favorite is the one of Elrond and young Aragorn. I never thought of their relationship in that way before.
Thank you.

In the Appendices of LOTR, it says: "Then Aragorn, being now the Heir of Isildur, was taken with his mother to dwell in the house of Elrond; and Elrond took the place of his father and came to love him as a son of his own." That was the inspiration of this piece (and the other one with Aragorn and Elrond, as well).

WonderBroad

Reaction score
These are excellent illustrations. To my untrained eye, they look as good as any professional illustrations I have seen.

There is a Tolkien group on DeviantArt. Have you thought about posting them there? It would garner you a wider general audience, as well as among Tolkien aficionados. (And please do include a link back here to The Tolkien Forum!)

You are a gifted artist.
Thank you very much.

I've belonged to DeviantArt for a long time, but mostly just as an observer, to have a look at other Tolkien artists over there. I'll consider uploading some of my illustrations to their site.

Alcuin

Reaction score
Thank you.

In the Appendices of LOTR, it says: "Then Aragorn, being now the Heir of Isildur, was taken with his mother to dwell in the house of Elrond; and Elrond took the place of his father and came to love him as a son of his own." That was the inspiration of this piece (and the other one with Aragorn and Elrond, as well).
And often overlooked. It opens an insight into the pain – and likely emotional confusion – Elrond experienced when Aragorn and Arwen fell in love, and the delicate situation it created for all of Elrond’s household. (And highlights Galadriel’s acceptance of Aragorn and Arwen and their fate.) Nonetheless, Elrond seems to have been extremely proud of Aragorn.

I like the illustrations of Ar-Pharazôn and Berúthiel as well: evil as they are, you have depicted them as real, handsome folk as they must have appeared. (I have read elsewhere by a commenter whom I respect that most of the folk of Númenor, being descended from the Third House, were likely blond-haired; but the Faithful, coming from descendants of the First House living around Andúnië, were probably dark-haired.)

Thread suggestions