🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

Moria

Walter

Flamekeeper
Reaction score
Grond, are You sure they didn't choose it because of the nice music there, especially the bass-drum? ;)

Aldanil

mad about mallorn
Reaction score
I'm with my old friend Battering-Ram here on that last one

(with Walter's percussive irony as counterpoint)

Grond hammers the essential point home precisely:

"The wealth of Moria was not in gold and jewels, the toys of the Dwarves; nor in iron, their servant. . . For here alone in the world was found Moria-silver, or true-silver as some have called it: mithrilis the Elvish name. The Dwarves have a name which they do not tell. Its worth was ten times that of gold, and now it is beyond price [as Gandalf says in answer to Sam's asking after Gimli's song which he so admires] . . . The Dwarves tell no tale; but even as mithrilwas the foundation of their wealth, so also was it their destruction: they delved too greedily and too deep, and disturbed that from which they fled, Durin's Bane."

Grond

Morgoth's Mace
Reaction score
Aldanil, I appreciate your supportive post but am insulted by your battering ram comment. The Grond you post to is not the battering ram. The ram t'was merely a namesake of mine. I am Grond, Mace of Melkor, Hammer of Hate and the Underworld, wielded against the mighty Elf-lord and Elf-king Fingolfin... yada, yada, yada....:D

chrome_rocknave

Frodo Lives!
Reaction score
Yes, but they couldn't have known that mithril was there before they started mining. What drew them to Moria?

Ragnarok

Grand Master (Funk)
Reaction score
Originally, it was gold, jewels, and silver that lured them there. Then they found mithril and dug too deep and awokened the Balrog.

Walter

Flamekeeper
Reaction score
Nah, they were born - or better put - there, after Aulë had made them and Erú had postponed their release date until the awakening of the firstborn...

...at least that's how I read it in the Sil (even if it's not put precisely that way)!

Aiwendil

Reaction score
So...when then were the Dwarfs (which by the way is the correct plural, as stated by Tolkien) released. In order to delve deep enough to unleash the trapped Balogs, they either had to dig a long time or they were released much later than the coming of the second born (Man).

Gothmog

Lord of Balrogs
Staff member
Reaction score
Concerning the beginning of the Dwarves strange tales are told both by the Eldar and by the Dwarves themselves; But since these things lie far back beyond our days little is said of them here. Durin is the name that the Dwarves used for the eldest of the Severn fathers of their race, and the ancestor of of all the kings of the Longbeards.39 he slept alone, until in the deeps of time and the awakening of that people he came to Azanulbizar, and in the caves above Kheled-zâram in the east of the Misty Mountains he made his dwelling, where afterwards were the Mines of Moria renownd in song.
There he lived so long that he was known far and wide as Durin the Deathless. yet in the end he died before the Elder Days had passed, and his tomb was in Khazad-dûm
from Appendix A: The Lord Of The Rings.

So basically Durin Liked the View.

Orin

Reaction score
Thorin and Company in moria?

In the Hobbit when Thorin and the troop where taken into the mountains by the Goblins, was that Moria? Gandalf said he had been in before. Was this the time?

Grond

Morgoth's Mace
Reaction score
Re: Thorin and Company in moria?

Originally posted by Orin
In the Hobbit when Thorin and the troop where taken into the mountains by the Goblins, was that Moria? Gandalf said he had been in before. Was this the time?
No, Thorin and Bilbo went through the High Pass which is closer to Rivendell and is about 200 miles north of Moria.

Walter

Flamekeeper
Reaction score
Nonetheless I wonder if there was a connection between Moria and the "cave" where Bilbo met Gollum. I mean it was in Moria that Gollum showed up again for the first time, I wonder if it wasn't his old place under the mountains where Gollum had withdrawn after his escape...

Thorondor

Indie kid to the end
Reaction score
My heart will always be in the land of sky blue wa

Originally posted by Orin
I am not at all sure, but wasn't Gandalf looking for Thror or Thrain when he said he was in Moria before?

Grond

Morgoth's Mace
Reaction score
Originally posted by Walter
Nonetheless I wonder if there was a connection between Moria and the "cave" where Bilbo met Gollum. I mean it was in Moria that Gollum showed up again for the first time, I wonder if it wasn't his old place under the mountains where Gollum had withdrawn after his escape...
No Walter. I read somewhere in either HoMe or UT that Gollum made his way from his escape from the Elves of Thranduil and was trying to go West to find the Shire for himself. He knew the High Pass would be watched and took the Mines instead. He entered through the East door and was trapped because he didn't know how to open the West door.

I'll try to find where I read this and will get back to you on the source of the info.:)

Eledhwen

Cumbrian
Reaction score
Royal Wootton Bassett, Wiltshire, England, UK

I am not at all sure, but wasn't Gandalf looking for Thror or Thrain when he said he was in Moria before?
Gandalf went to Dol Guldur, where he found Thrain and received the map and key. I haven't found a reference that spells out when Gandalf previously visited Moria, but possibilities are:

1. He visited it when the original Dwarf colony was still in situ, 'delving too deep'.
  2. He visited after the mine was abandoned (and possibly already inhabited by Orc folk).
  3. He visited the mine when Balin was Lord of Moria.

I would favour the first option, as it would take great evil to unnerve Gandalf (favouring cruel Caradhras over the abandoned mine); and the knowledge of an unconquered balrog in residence would do it.

Erestor Arcamen

Archivist
Staff member
Reaction score
What I don't understand is. When Gandalf and the Balrog fell down the bridge and through water and flame and all, where were they? I know its said something about the stairs of Durin and Durin's tower? Is this tower where Durin made his dwelling? at the top of the mountain where the Balrog was smote? It seems like this area was legendary or something, like Gandalf I believe said something about the area he was in though was forgotten by the dwarves or many didn't believe it existed? What was this area and what happened here?

Eledhwen

Cumbrian
Reaction score
Royal Wootton Bassett, Wiltshire, England, UK
Erestor Arcamen said:
...the stairs of Durin and Durin's tower? Is this tower where Durin made his dwelling?
Celebdil (Zirakzigil in the dwarf tongue) was a peak in the Misty Mountains, the western-most of a group of three including Caradhras and Fanuidhol. It stood above the Dwarf city of Khazad-dûm (Moria). On the top of Zirakzigil stood Durin's Tower, where Gandalf fought with the Balrog in the Battle of the Peak. The battle caused the destruction of the secret stair that led to it; and as you rightly said, many doubted it still existed. I don't know if there is more written about the stair and tower - but not in the books I've got round to reading! From Gandalf's description, It seemed to be the route from the water to the peak.

Thread suggestions