🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

Most beloved star (Eärendil), which is it?

Gary Gamgee

Mr Muckle
Reaction score
Most beloved star

The star of Earendil which actuall star in the sky do think it is?
I think it's Venus the evening star. Just a thought.

Turgon

Ghost-King of Gondolin
Reaction score
I agree with you Mr. G. I remember reading somewhere that this was the case. Can't remember where though.

Turgon

Ghost-King of Gondolin
Reaction score
We'll there's clear skies over Manchester tonight, so probably...

Aiya Earendil Elenion Ancalima!

Elfarmari

Tingilindë
Reaction score
I can't remember exactly where, but sometime during Sam and Frodo's trek through Mordor, Frodo looks up and sees a star, whose light seems to give him new hope and strength. I just noticed, while reading the appendices(sp?) that this star was Earendil (Venus). I probably should have guessed this earlier, but I think that's cool!

Turgon

Ghost-King of Gondolin
Reaction score
Cool Elfarmari! By the way Mr Gamgee, I can see Earendil right now in the western sky, in fact it's the only star out right now so take a look!

Eonwe

Upper Class Twit
Reaction score
the other clue is that it is called the morning star or evening star, which is what Venus is often called.

Venus is the brightest planet, and brighter than all of the stars in the sky including Sirius (The elves called this Helluin). It always appears in the morning or evening sky, either east or west, and never straight overhead.

I think I will write an astronomy thread, but I wonder who will participate... :)

Gary Gamgee

Mr Muckle
Reaction score
I would I am pretty sure the star i was looking at was Venus but not 100 percent cause isn't Mars Jupiter and Saturn also visible at the minute?

Last edited:

Eonwe

Upper Class Twit
Reaction score
Here is what the sky looks like tonight in Buffalo. It will vary based on your location, but you can get the jist.

Keep in mind, that Saturn is 2 times farther away than Jupiter. The distances in MILLIONS of kilometers are:

Jupiter 791
Saturn 1438
Mars 329
Venus 235

You can see why I wonder why Tolkien never mentions Jupiter and Saturn or Mars in LotR or the Sil, since they are often prominent in the night sky.

Gary Gamgee

Mr Muckle
Reaction score
so they are all basically in a diagonal, I'm interested in this by i am a complete novice. I liked that star chart could you show me one that had something really prominent like the big dipper that is near the planets so i find them. Please. Or tell me of site i could use. I would be very grateful thank you.

Viceras Daydark

Reaction score
A little help

Hello,

I am not positive if this is correct, but I seem to remember learning this somewhere. Because all the planets evolve around the sun on the same plane (except for Pluto I believe), when planets are visible, they will be following the same trek as the sun. Hence, the line that the sun follows across the sky in the day, is the same line you can look for the planets at night. Never will be they be seen south or north of the line the sun travels, but on that same line.

Hope this helps.

-Viceras Daydark

Gary Gamgee

Mr Muckle
Reaction score
Thank you Eonwe that will keep me busy a while we have been having beautiful clear nights here so i'll get looking. I didn't know that about the following the sun Viceras interesting thanks.

Isilme

Princess of Himling
Reaction score
I always thought that Venus was the star that Frodo was talking about, but whenever I mentioned this to my friends they thought I was crazy and kept telling me that it was just a story :(

I think I will write an astronomy thread, but I wonder who will participate...
I would most definitly!!!

Gary Gamgee

Mr Muckle
Reaction score
The skies in Manchester are beautiful tonight. I can see all four of the planets clearly in the sky pointing towards the sun, and the moon looks fantastic sitting between Jupiter and Venus, I am totally awestruck.:cool:

Hey Turgon can you see?

Thread suggestions