🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

Most Inexplicable Plot Flaw

Which flaw most ruins the story?

• Glorfindle's random resurrection...

Votes: 2 2.8%
  • Gandalf's Machiavellian approach in dealing with Smaug...

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Gandalf's inability to identify the ring for so long...

Votes: 5 7.0%
  • Aragorns only armament being a broken sword while at Bree...

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Gandalf's ignorance of the Balrog in Moria...

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Aragorns idiotic decision at the breaking of the fellowship...

Votes: 4 5.6%
  • The unbelievable feat of the Death March...

Votes: 2 2.8%
  • Sauron should have scoured Mordor for halflings when he recieved Frodo's belongings...

Votes: 9 12.7%
  • The orc sergeant should have noticed something very fishy about those two pint sized orcs that could

Votes: 6 8.5%
  • The way the Eagles only show up for the irresovable crisis scenes...

Votes: 18 25.4%
  • None of the above

Votes: 23 32.4%

• Total voters

Goro Shimura

Scribe of the Eldanyárë
Reaction score
Okay... which one was the straw the broke the Camel's back?

It's ruined forever, my precious! Forever!

(Looks for a sniveling gollum smiley... fails to find one... attempts to improvise....)

o
O {

H

Harad

And what about Frodo putting the Ring back on 2 minutes and 100 yards from where he just barely escaped Sauron on Amon Hen?

Eonwe

Upper Class Twit
Reaction score
this poll's just gunna keep getting larger... :) Personally the orc-sergeant not noticing them is where I suspended my suspended disbelief.

Its not as bad as midsummer night's dream!

daisy

Reaction score
Nothing's as bad as Midsummer Night's Dream - except maybe Bride of Chucky.

I definitely went for the hobbit in orc's clothing deal - much like a certain Storm Trooper costume party on the Death Star, hmmmm?

aragil

Just another loremaster
Reaction score
Secondarily Beautiful State of Washington
I don't know about the 'Hobbit's as Orcs' thing. I mean, it seems like as often as not good folks are worried about being mistaken for Orcs. Eomer almost mistakes Aragorn and co. for Orcs, Merry and Pippin are worried about being mistaken for Orcs by Eomer, and Treebeard says he would have taken Merry and Pippin to be Orcs if he hadn't first heard their voices. Perhaps Orcs weren't really supposed to look as different as artists' conceptions would lead us to believe. I mean, Frodo and Sam deliberately took Orc gear so that they would look like Orcs, so there must have been (built into the novels at that point) some possibility for the disguise to work, otherwise why bother with the Orc-gear? It's not like it felt good on the skin, or made their journey any quicker.

Anyway, I ain't voting. There's no plot point that can't be explicated on some level.

Eonwe

Upper Class Twit
Reaction score
they should've worn the Orc garb from Hobbiton to Rivendell :)

Well the garments of Lorien had a bit to do with some of these cases you think?

Hama

Scholar and Adventurer
Reaction score
The road from Hobbiton to Rivendell was not one regularly used and infested by orcs. So they would have looked out of place, and may even have been attacked by people from around, who on the other hand, were used to seeing Hobbits. Remember, few people outside Eriador had even heard of hobbits, let alone seen them. So I doubt some lower level orc would think about looking around for halflings in the middle of Mordor. And from HObbiton to Rivendell the main danger was from the Nazgul who would not care what guise the hobbits were in, because a) they could smell them out and b) they were attracted to the ring.
There are a few inexplicable points in the book, but each had its purpose and added some spice to the dramatics of the work. Which is why it made such good reading.

Aldanil

mad about mallorn
Reaction score
For which right-minded option we are most grateful, O Grond!

(though I persist in believing Goroshimura's intent for this poll is sarcastic...)

Ciryaher

Witch of Resurrection
Reaction score
I agree with Grond. All of those so-called plot failures can be explained if you look more closely (I might get around to it if nobody else does :D )

Dûndorer

Reaction score
well, i think that there isnt any bad plots either. 'cause if there was soooooooooooooooooooooooooo many people wouldn't like the books. but as you can see there is numerous amounts of people like them.

Arthur_Vandelay

Hipster Doofus
Reaction score
Sauron should have scoured Mordor for halflings when he recieved Frodo's belongings...
I always thought the presence of Frodo's belongings should have raised alarm bells in the Dark Tower--especially since Sauron's servants were supposed to be on the lookout for halflings. I suppose it could be explained by the possibility that Sauron simply assumed that Aragorn, marching towards the Morannon, already had the Ring in his possession. Then again, wasn't Sauron's motto: Assumption is the mother of all stuff-ups?

Iluvatar

Reaction score
I voted for Sauron not scouring Mordor looking for halfling. Let's see. A halfling has the Ring at our last knowledge. A halfling shows up in Cirith Ungol and mysteriously escapes. You'd think that more than the sniffer and warrior orc would have been looking for them. The only possible explanation is that Sauron assumed that Saruman had wrested the Ring from Pippin (Sauron thinking that it was in fact the Baggins he was looking for) and that the fall of Orthanc meant that Aragorn had the Ring. Still, you'd think a more thorough search would have been underway. Of course, maybe there was a more thorough search, and Frodo and Samwise avoided it so thoroughly that Frodo never knew to write about it. (Remember Tolkien has Frodo has the actual author of the book that became The Lord of the Rings.) But that's reading a bit far into the fallible narrator thesis.

Ithrynluin

seeker of solace
Staff member
Reaction score
I voted for

Aragorns only armament being a broken sword while at Bree...
even though I don't think that's a huge flaw, if it can in fact even be called a flaw. Is it a matter of fact that Aragorn was defensless at that point?

The other options I don't consider flaws at all. As has been said, they can all be explained with perfectly good reasoning and common sense.

Starflower

Almost here
Reaction score
at the time when Frodo's chainmail appears at the Gate, they think a) that he is all alone and b)that he is still captive at the Tower of Cirith Ungol.
Remember, they only captured Frodo, not Sam, and the orcs thoguht Sam was 'a fierce elven warrior'.. so there was no feasible reason for Sauron to search Mordor for halflings.

grendel

Reaction score
How about Gandalf entrusting a letter to Butterbur, which of course never makes it to Hobbitton... what was he thinking? It delayed Frodo for months, if I'm remembering right. This guy was an Istari, one of the wisest men of his time... ??

Thread suggestions