🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

Most memorable moment of all?

user16578

Retired
Reaction score
"You bow to no one..."

This allways gives me goosebumbs... :)

I always like to think it is also a bow to the Master Creator of it all... :)

What's your most memorable moment?

Last edited:

Olorgando

Reaction score
I would also go with "You bow to no one…", even though it is not canon, at least not at the wedding.
Could have been at the Field of Cormallen in the Book, would have made sense there (though it could possibly have been limited to Frodo an Sam).

Zizzer

Reaction score
"But no living man am I! You are looking upon a woman. Eowyn am I, Eomund's daughter. You stand between me and my lord and kin. Begone, if you be not deathless! For living or dark undead, I will smite you, if you touch him."

Erestor Arcamen

Archivist
Staff member
Reaction score
I agree, Argonath and also the end of ROTK when Aragorn said, "My friends, you bow to no one." It was really powerful. PJ missing out on the Scourging of the Shire (because he thought it was "silly"?) is a mortal sin though and I hate him even more for it.

Squint-eyed Southerner

Skulking near Archet
Reaction score
I think I recall reading he and his gang decided it would be anticlimactic. I disagree, of course, but didn't the EE include some of it?

Last edited:

Erestor Arcamen

Archivist
Staff member
Reaction score
Not that I recall. EE included Saruman being stabbed on top of Orthanc, falling over the side and then being imapaled by a water wheel (I think), followed by Legolas shooting an arrow into Wormtongue's head, so there was no Sharkey to takeover the Shire.

Olorgando

Reaction score
Not that I recall. EE included Saruman being stabbed on top of Orthanc, falling over the side and then being imapaled by a water wheel (I think), followed by Legolas shooting an arrow into Wormtongue's head, so there was no Sharkey to takeover the Shire.
Yes, precisely. Saruman was dispatched at the beginning of RoTK EE.
I think it was also in the EE "appendices" that one actor mentioned having been at a premiere (in L.A., most likely), and having run across Jack Nicholson (very wise in the ways of Hollywood, thus being quite aware of the "necessities" of its "cookie cutter") in the parking lot, running his car's engine to warm it up for his family for the trip home (something that would get him a stiff fine in Germany - though there are rare occasions, mostly having to do with icing and fogging up of the windows when it is unavoidable). His comment even without any "Scouring" was "Too many Endings!". And of course the "Battle of Bywater" would have been, compared to the humongous "Pelennor Fields", a severe anticlimax (hardly more than a "barroom brawl", as a German critic - a sympathetic one - referred to the "Battle" of Greenfields in 2747 involving a band of Orcs repelled by Bandobras 'Bullroarer' Took and the infamous, cringeworthy "Golfimbul" incident 🤣 ).

Squint-eyed Southerner

Skulking near Archet
Reaction score
I thought I'd read about a "getting rid of ruffians" scene in EE; guess it was just another unfounded rumor. I'll have to force myself to watch the EE's at some point.

I have seen the Death of Saruman sequence on youtube.* Looks like the GoT writers took it as a good "tying up loose ends" model for Season 8.

*Though I prefer this version!

Erestor Arcamen

Archivist
Staff member
Reaction score
I thought I'd read about a "getting rid of ruffians" scene in EE; guess it was just another unfounded rumor. I'll have to force myself to watch the EE's at some point.

I have seen the Death of Saruman sequence on youtube.* Looks like the GoT writers took it as a good "tying up loose ends" model for Season 8.

*Though I prefer this version!
I've seen that, definitely an improvement on PJ's garbage, though Christopher Lee is one of my favorite actors and I won't fault him for bad writing

Thread suggestions