🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

Most thrilling moment in LOTR

The most exciting moments of LOTR trilogy

• You began to read the first page of the first book

Votes: 6 8.8%
  • Frodo defies the Nazgul at the fords of Bruinen

Votes: 4 5.9%
  • Gandalf confronts the balrog in Moria

Votes: 7 10.3%
  • Legolas and Gimli's score keeping at Helms Deep

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Aragorn takes the Path's of the Dead

• The Rohirrim sweep the Pelennor Fields

Votes: 15 22.1%
  • Eowyn slays the Witch King

Votes: 12 17.6%
  • Sam confronts Shelob

• Gollum topples backwards into the fires of Orodruin

Votes: 6 8.8%
  • Gandalf's 'confrontation' with the Witch King

• Aragorn arriving to the Pelennor - surprising everyone and bringing hope

• other

Votes: 1 1.5%

• Total voters

Merry

Has chubby cheeks
Reaction score
The first page wasn't that striking for me, it wasn't until the end that I realised how important the beginning was. I voted for the Rohirrim in the Pelennor fields as this is an amazing battle. You fill up with an enormous sense of hope as the horsemen join the battle late and charge the enemy.

I would also have voted for Smeagols speech in the dead marshes as it is truely beautiful. I love the way that he opens up and shows his true character and almost a sense of remorse for what he has become.

Ps. Please avoid calling LOTR a trilogy!! It tends to open a whole new can of worms!!!

:D :D :D

Good poll by the way!

Lantarion

no house
Reaction score
Welcome, Mormegil! As I have explained in one of the threads, I think that the Moria-scene was the most thrilling.
Yes, good poll. :)

Scooter

Reaction score
I was waffling between Shelob and Moria when I noticed I'd completely overlooked the Rohirrim's charge into battle -- I think it was some of JRRT's best writing:

"Fey he seemed, ror the battle fury of his fathers ran like new fire in his veins, and he was borne up on Snowmane like a god of old, even as Orome the Great in the battle of the Valar when the world was young. His golden shield was uncovered, and lo! it shone like an image of the Sun, and the grass flamed into green about the white feet of his steed. For morning came, morning and a wind from the sea; and darkness was removed, and the hosts of Mordor wailed, and terror took them, and they fled, and died, and the hoofs of wrath rode over them. And then all the host of Rohan burst into song, and they sang as they slew, for the joy of battle was on them, and the sound of their singing that was fair and terrible came even to the City."

The language is short and rythmic like the beating of hooves and so chock full of ME archetypal goodness!

I've have my PC background set to the movie's published background with the standards of Rohan and Gondor: http://www.lordoftherings.net/media/desktops/jo_desktop1_1024.jpg

That scene is my most anticipated in the movie and if PJ messes it up, I'll throw a hissie fit.

I'll throw in this little nugget too: My most dramatic scene is the company's passing of Argonath on the Anduin, seeing the massive statues and Aragorn's apparent transformation. That one always catches me right here. (I'm pointing to my heart)

Rosie Cotton

Reaction score
I voted for Moria. It was a difficult poll though, they're all so good!!!! :D

Talierin

Still here... sometimes
Reaction score
ARGH! I went and voted for Eowyn, but didn't see the Rohirrim! I would have voted for it. That part makes me cry.......Oh well, Eowyn is my second fave exciting moment.

Beorn

In the shadows
Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome Mor...I like Eowyn slaying the Witch King, because of how she stood up, a mere human, against the Witch King, and actually killed him.

Aerin

Halfway out the door
Reaction score
Don't ask me to pick a favorite!!! I can't choose! They whole series is amazing, and I refuse to pick a part!

The Mormegil

Reaction score
I love posting these polls. I'll have to sit down and think of some other interesting moments within LOTR. Admittedly the ride of the Rohirrim does bring about goosebumps on me when I read those passages.
I really enjoy the portrayal of heroism in literature and Tolkien really is a master of it. However only 2 people thus far voted for Eowyn slaying the witch king. That probably is my favorite. Imagine the courage she had to summon; to stand tall, (seemingly) alone against one of the most wicked and mighty beings in middle earth; in the face of such despair!

A sword rang as it was drawn. 'Do what you will; but I will hinder it if I may'
'Hinder me? Thou fool. No living man may hinder me!'
Then Merry heard of all sounds in that hour the strangest. It seemed
that Dernhelm laughed, and the clear voice was like the ring of steel. 'But no living man am I! You look upon a woman. Eowyn I am, Eomund's daughter. You stand between me and my lord and kin. Begone, if you be not deathless! for living or dark undead, I will smite you, if you touch him.'

......gives me goosey bumps. Eowyn quickly dispatches the winged beast with one swing of her sword; a moment later she drives the sword home into the witch king's mantle. adios Nazgul #1. Man it don't get much better than that! (all this and she was a "babe" to boot!). Whew!
:D :eek: :D :eek: :D

Wyvern

Reaction score
My most thrilling LOTR moment....

Well, it is none of those choices. For me, I would have to say when Sam comes home at the end of rotk.

Wyvern

Grond

Morgoth's Mace
Reaction score
Sorry Mithrandir. Just my way of letting everyone know that my favorite scene is Gandalf barring the way of the Balrog on the bridge.
"YOU CANNOT PASS... I AM A SERVANT OF THE SECRET FIRE, WIELDER OF THE FLAME OF ANOR. YOU CANNOT PASS. THE DARK FIRE WILL NOT AVAIL YOU, FLAME OF UDUN. GO BACK TO THE SHADOW! YOU CANNOT PASS."

T

temptress

I personaly can't think of a replay to this poll. I enjoyed every page. Before this book I was not interested in fantasy or fiction, however after reading LotR I will be reading so much more.:D

Thread suggestions