🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

Movie languages

Arwen Halfelven

Reaction score
I'm new to this forum so please have patience. In the movie, which language is being spoken by Arwen & Aragorn? Quenya or Sindarin? I believe the song that Enya sings on the sound track for the "theme" for them is Quenya. I tho't most of the songs, poetry, etc were in Quenya, tho Sindarind was the more common spoken Elvish tongue. I would like to learn more about the Elven languages as well. Thanks for any help in this quest.:)

Cian

sylvan madman
Reaction score
"May it Be" contained some Quenya. Aníron is Sindarin. There's a good amount of movie dialog in Sindarin, as expected (being the usual Elvish "daily speech"), though there's Quenya too. Arwen speaks Sindarin to Frodo, A & A speak some Sindarin to each other before the Ford scene, for examples, the Bruinen "spell" ~ Sindarin during the romantic scene in Rivendell while Aníron ("I desire") plays in the background ...

oh and mae govannen :)
Sindarin (basically means) "well met"

Last edited:

Lantarion

no house
Reaction score
Yes, welcome A½E! :D Any q's about Elvish languages, go straight to Cian. He knows what he's talking about!

Arwen Halfelven

Reaction score
Hope I get this right!

Thanks Pontifex & Cian! I shall have many ?? on the languages in the future. Does anyone where to get a script of some of the dialogue from the movie? Is Sindarin easier to learn than Quenya or that an apples & oranges qauestion?:)

Bill the Pony

Reaction score
Re: Hope I get this right!

Originally posted by Arwen Halfelven
Does anyone where to get a script of some of the dialogue from the movie?
Look here for the elvish script, or for the whole english script (no elvish)

Thread suggestions