🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

Movie of the Sil?

Taran

Reaction score
Hey, what would y'all think if they made a movie about the Silmarillion? I think that would be COOL. The special effects would be INCREDIBLE, escpecially since everything in the Sil happens on such a large and epic scale. Of course, it would be rather confusing for those non-Tolkieners who don't have a clue :eek:.

So what do y'all think?? :confused:

Gamil Zirak

The Ladies' Dwarve
Reaction score
I think it would be too hard to do. There are too many main characters for it to work out. Also, the story lasts quite a while (through three ages).

Taran

Reaction score
True, very true.

Let's see, who do y'all think would be good to play whom in the Sil Movie??

I think Liv Tyler would be a good Varda...hmm, no that wouldn't work, ingnorant people would think her to be Arwen Undomiel.

Claudia Christian, then?

Who would be good for Manwe? Aule? Yavanna? Morgoth?
Feanor? Beren? Luthien?

Or whatever Sil characters y'all can think of?

Lantarion

no house
Reaction score
Túrin would have to be a great actor, and should look just like him: grim and determined. Some idiots would want Tom Cruise, I bet.. :)
But no, the Sil as a movie would not be worth doing. It would be about fourteen hours long and nobody who hasn't read the Sil would understand any of it. (I'd like to hear someone say Aurë entulúva!).
It would be hella cool, but impossible. :(

Zale

Wordsmith
Reaction score
A film of the Silm would be great (really great) but I doubt it would be done. Not enough people would want to go and see it; only really hardcore Tolkien fans like us (well I am, anyway:D ). Anyway, it would be so dumbed-down for ignorant, stupid people that it wouldn't really be worth watching. LotR was borderline in that respect, in my opinion.

Last edited:

Elbereth

Star Queen of Valinor
Reaction score
The only way it would work is if it was made as a miniseries. They did it for the "Mists of Avalon"...I guess they could do it for the Simarillion.

And I wouldn't have Liv Tyler play Varda...she's too young.

Here is who I would pick:

Varda: Jennifer Connelly or Ashley Judd
Manwe: ?
Turin: Russel Crowe
Beren: Ethan Hawke
Luthien: Angelina Jolie
Yavanna: Kate Winslett
Tuor: Ewan McGregor
Feanor: Nicolas Cage or Hugh Jackman
Melkor: Quenton Terrantino (haha just kidding)...I think Kenneth Branagh would be good...(he was in 1989's oscar nominated Henry V.)

However, in order to get a cast that could give the book justice, the studio would have to dish out more money than all three rings movies and the Star Wars series combined.

Turgon

Ghost-King of Gondolin
Reaction score
Great cast for the Sil. Elbereth, not sure about Kenneth Branagh though, I think he's a bit too wholesome for Melkor, (a bit of a ham when playing bad guys?) maybe he'd make a good Manwe - he does have a great voice. But then who would play Melkor? Ralph Fiennes maybe, he can be pretty evil...

Elbereth

Star Queen of Valinor
Reaction score
Actually I have given it some thought and I would put Jennifer Connelly as Luthien...and give Andy McDowell the role of Varda.

And as for Nicolas cage...that was the only person I could think of who could be both charming and sinister at the same time...but I'm not committed to him for that role.

And Turgon...you are right...Kenneth B. would make a much better Manwe...good thinking...Perhaps Jeremy Irons for Melkor.

Rangerdave

He's Back!
Reaction score
Ever so slightly out of sync with reality
Length

The problem with a movie about the Sil is the length
There would have to be at least 10 to cover all the really good parts.
But then, I thought that Peter Jackson should have made 6 LOTR movies.

And yes Claudia Christian as Varda.
and Jodie Foster as Rian

RD

Kit Baggins

Thain Kit I
Reaction score
Originally posted by Elbereth
Feanor: Nicolas Cage or Hugh Jackman
Yes!! I am not alone :D !! I think Nic Cage would make a good Feanor.

I'm not so sure about Angelina Jolie as Luthien, though :( ...

~Kit

btw :p @ Maedhros

Taran

Reaction score
Your wisdom, O Star-Queen Elbereth, shines as radiently as your beauty!

Hmm, Angelelina Jolie isn't really dark enough for Luthien

Hmm, I don't know if I would put Nicholas Cage in there as Feanor - but we would need someone haughty-looking.

Last edited:

Niniel

Random Quoter
Reaction score
And who should be Nienor Níniel? I always imagined her as being quite short, with dark hair and fiery eyes, but I can't think of an actress that looks like that. Maybe Hilary Swank, or Claire Danes, or Helen Baxendale...

Lantarion

no house
Reaction score
Hmm, Russel Crowe might be good for Túrin (and if he was made grim enough, maybe even Eöl), but I think he would be a bit too short and sticklike for Túrin. I'm not saying Túrin was fat! I mean I see him as a really tall, dark-haired, grim and determined-looking noble Man.

Turgon

Ghost-King of Gondolin
Reaction score
Worry not people I hearby volunteer to play the part of Feanor in any up and coming productions of The Sil... (Feanor was a skinny hobbit right?)

Turgon

Ghost-King of Gondolin
Reaction score
Sorry Elbereth, that was kind of a joke... wasn't funny huh? Well try this... Gimli and Galadriel are sitting by the banks of the Silverlode... no, no, no... I can't tell that one, this is a family forum after all... never mind.

elvish-queen

Isilwen Elenrohir
Reaction score
Wandering Middle Earth with my horse, Linta
Nuh, it woudn' work! Ter many names!! Yer'd have ter tek a pen an' paper in with yer... ter confusin' yer see? ok, I give up with the accent, but it would be terribly confusing... so many names and they last for about a chapter then disappear. But the hobbit would make a great movie!! I haven't finished the book just yet but I'm 3 quarters of the way through, I have to have a clear mind to read it, it just confuses me otherwise. And I still can't remeber half the names!!:(

Tarien

Patron of Oboists
Reaction score
You could not do the Sil as one movie!!!
It could be broken into parts. One about This, one about that That, you get the idea. But it would go in order, so no one would get lost. And could I please, please get some sort of role in the one about Gondolin? Aredhel and Turgon are taken, but I could play Idril, or somesuch. (Gondolin freaks unite!!!)

Thread suggestions