🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

Movies of misery

Ancalagon

Quality, not Quantity!
Reaction score
Having just watched the LoTRs movies again, it strikes me just how wonderful the elements of Tolkien’s actual story are so well represented. Yet, everything that was created for the movies that digress from Tolkien’s actual works are genuinely dreadful! There is no doubt in my mind that there is nothing about the movies that add to the original story, despite the efforts to recreate that which Tolkien actually wrote and was faithfully recreated. I genuinely hope Peter Jackson has no part in the new Amazon series.

Squint-eyed Southerner

Skulking near Archet
Reaction score
Hey, another veteran TTFer back! Welcome home! Looks like your last post was before I joined -- I'm but a fledgling here, myself. I hope you'll stick around a little longer this time!

One thing that struck me, again and again, while reading the LOTR drafts, was how every change Tolkien made was an improvement.

Another thing that struck me, again and again, while watching the movies, was the impression that PJ read those same discarded drafts, and said "Ooh -- let's put that in!".

Olorgando

Reaction score
... I genuinely hope Peter Jackson has no part in the new Amazon series.
Well, I don’t know, as things are developing with the Amazon series, things might get much worse.

I quoted a post from another site in the forum “Tolkien Media”, subforum “Amazon’s Lord of the Rings Series” in the only thread there, on 08 September 2019. It was about the scriptwriters that have been hired for the series, which seemed to worry the poster on that other site, and as the names or series mentioned just mean nothing to me, I asked the question “should we start worrying”.

CirdanLinweilin’s reply was short and to the point.

And I certainly wouldn’t be surprised that others could “top” PJ’s performance, looking at the direction films and TV have taken over the last decades. 🤮

ArwenStar

Reaction score
Yep. The movies.... they don’t work!
As I said on another thread, they left out the taking of the Shire from Saruman:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::(:(

Heathertoes

Still want to punch PJ
Reaction score
Having just watched the LoTRs movies again, it strikes me just how wonderful the elements of Tolkien’s actual story are so well represented. Yet, everything that was created for the movies that digress from Tolkien’s actual works are genuinely dreadful! There is no doubt in my mind that there is nothing about the movies that add to the original story, despite the efforts to recreate that which Tolkien actually wrote and was faithfully recreated. I genuinely hope Peter Jackson has no part in the new Amazon series.
I couldn't agree more. So much potential with the locations and the artists used. The cast was pretty good too.
But the storytelling....deary me. Someone needed to tell PJ that less is more and that Tolkien knew what he was doing and didn't need his stories 'improving'.

I couldn't agree more. So much potential with the locations and the artists used. The cast was pretty good too.
But the storytelling....deary me. Someone needed to tell PJ that less is more and that Tolkien knew what he was doing and didn't need his stories 'improving'.
Sorry to reply to my own post, but this is my first visit in probably ten years and I've just noticed that my status thing is 'Still wants to punch PJ' so I obviously felt the same way back then!

Erestor Arcamen

Archivist
Staff member
Reaction score

Sorry to reply to my own post, but this is my first visit in probably ten years and I've just noticed that my status thing is 'Still wants to punch PJ' so I obviously felt the same way back then!
Glad to have you back! I don't remember you (though I was here 10 years ago) but it's great to be seeing some veteran members returning recently!

Thread suggestions