🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

Movie's success= New readers? Or no?

Mithril 2000

Reaction score
Ok y'all. This is a sociological/ anthroplogical/literary thread. The movie's been out long enough now so that we ought to be able to start getting some feedback re how many people it has inspired to actually READ the LOTR for the first time. I am extremely curious to hear from anyone who saw the movie BEFORE reading any Tolkien, as well as from anyone who had read-- or had had read to them as children- The Hobbit, but had not yet "taken on" the LOTR before seeing the movie. I am also interested in input from anyone who had been thinking of reading the book before seeing the movie but has now abandoned their plan-- why?

Were you pleasantly surprised or disappointed? Did you find the pace of the book too slow or "tedious", as some have said? Why did you go ahead and read or why have you decided not to?

The reason for my curiosity is that I had already read the LOTR several times before seeing the movie and cannot imagine the effect the movie might have had on someone who had never read LOTR. My biggest hope for the movie [and upcoming episodes] is that it/they will serve to introduce millions more to Tolkien's genius and inspire them to read him! If the opposite happens-- as is often the case with movies of great books[ eg Moby Dick, Last of the Mohicans, etc]-- I will be disappointed, but I still want to know.
\ Thanks

Strider97

Reaction score
After reviewing some of the postings in this forum I have seen comments from several new readers. Whether they started reading before or after the movie I am not certain. I do have a nephew (13) that I have been encouraging to read the trilogy for the past year. He did not start until after he saw the movie and unfortunately tried to start with "The Two Towers" to see what happened next. I found this out after he called with several questions. I explained the difference and had him start at the beginning. Hopefully this will not be repeated to many times.

LotR_Girl

Reaction score
I'm not sure they will read it...My friends think I'm a freak when they hear I read books that have more than 200 pages...

Snaga

The Usual Suspect
Reaction score
I went to see the film with 2 non-Tolkien fans. Both loved it. One said she would read the books and duly did, in about 2 days flat. The other said she would, but wanted to start from TTT, because mostly she was frustrated at not knowing what will happen next. In fact, she hasn't read it, and I don't think she will. She's not a book person as a rule.

Lantarion

no house
Reaction score
A lot of the "newbies" arriving at this site recently are people who haven't read (or even worse, havem't even heard of) the LotR, and went to see the movie simply because it is the new 'groove', or 'fad'. I find these people, who have seen the movie but don' want to read the book, endlessly frustrating. I personally think it doesn't matter whther you've read the book before or after you see the film, but at least have the courtesy to read the book before posting at this forum. :) Oh, and welcome, M2k!
Of the eight people in my class who went to see the movie, only two had read the book first. They're not really LotR fans, and like DnD, or Dragonlance books more (shame on them). There's this one kid in my class who had read it partially in Finnish before he went to see the movie, and he knows pretty much nothing about Arda, or even Middle-Earth. He's bought the new collectable and paintable figures, and he has the soundtrack, but he has no idea what he's raving on about. Pitiful, really. The other two actually have even a vague idea of what happens in the books, and on the history; and another friend of mine has started to read it recently, although he hasn't seen the movie. But I am held officially as the LotR- freak, and the nitpicky historian of Middle-Earth. :D

StriderX

Reaction score
I started reading the LOTR after I saw the movie. The movie is what actually inspired me to read it. Before I saw the movie, I had thought about reading it, but I never actually came around to it. I have read the Hobbit a few times, but not LOTR. I am so glad that I am reading the LOTR because it is the best book ever. I just finished reading the Fellowship, and even after seeing the movie, it was still exciting even though you knew what was going to happen. If you havn't read the book, I suggest you do.

A

angiebaggins

i also started reading the book after i saw the movie. i already knew the animated movie when i was a little girl (i was a bit to young for that and so i was scared to death!)
over the years i thought about reading the book but i never really did... after the movie i told my parents a lot about it and how much i liked it, so at least this year christmas i got the right present (and no stupid pullovers and such)!
but unfortunately i do not have much time (lot work to do for university...) but i already started the 3th book! :)

curious_nomad

Reaction score
In my experience, literary-based movies usually spark a huge reading-trend. Most of my friends who haven't read the books saw the movie and are starting to read the book.

(Unfortunately, they keep falling asleep during the first chapter...)

Afterglow

Reaction score
From what I've seen, most of my friends who haven't read the books and saw the movie are reading them, or are going to. I don't know how many WILL...b/c some of them just don't like to read. So...that could be bad...but then at least they are AWARE of LOTR. But I think a lot of people are reading the books now.:)

Rushlight

Reaction score
I read the books many years ago, and read the entire series probably 2-3 times ("back in the day" as they say). At that time, in the 70's, LOTR was VERY popular.

Flash forward.......now I see the movie (which I did enjoy) and I realized that the movie didn't exactly follow the book. Hmmmm. So I start rereading all over again. Funny thing is....when I talk to people in my age group who have seen the movie, I always ask if they read the books. And a lot of them haven't. That always surprises me. I thought EVERYONE read LOTR back in the 70's.

Rushlight

Aredhel

Governor of Imladris
Reaction score
I have a friend who, after watching the movie, started reading the Fellowship of The Ring. She was asking me all these questions and I answered to the best of my ability.:rolleyes:

Diabless

Reaction score
I read it a little before and a little after

I am 15. I read The Hobbit and FOTR in 4th and 5th grade.
I had always contemplated reading TTT but never got to it
When a year ago I heard the movie was coming out I decided it's time
I read TTT
Then I saw the movie and realized how much I missed as a kid of 11 or so
I read FOTR
Then I just finished last night ROTK
I am officially a huge fan.
I do not know if I should reread it all in order
or start the Sil
I signed to this forum after TTT and sadly accidentally saw some stuff I should not have but I still enjoyed ROTK

Camille

Of the Edain
Reaction score
I start with Tolkien books before the movie a few years ago with A tolkien Bestiary, it fascinated me and then I started reading The FelLowship but in my country the Tolkien books were not available as easy as I wanted, I thinks is great the Movie boom because it makes me posible to get the other Tolkien books.
I saw the movie with my brother and he can hardly take a book and didn't know anything about Tolkien and after the movie he has read the Two Towers!! it is amazing!! I like the movie because it had made possible for more people to know Tolkien's work and that is a good thing
:D

Jackie Reynolds

Reaction score
i saw the LotR Fellowship movie when i was 1/2 way through ( at Elronds council) the FotR and got all confused and didn't want 2 read it any more. i stuck with it and did't skip 2 The 2 Towers and understood it alot better.

i think i like the movie better though.

Hey look 4 me on my new LotR sn: Anira the Elf: Princess of Lothlorien ;) ;) :p

tookish-girl

Pippin's stranger sister
Reaction score
I'd always wanted to read the book, eapsecially as two of my friends would write out messages to each other in dwarven runes and sing the songs of Tom Bombadil everywhere they went, but with all my exams never got round to it. Read the Hobbit and Lord of the Rings straight after each other last summer so I'd get them read before the film came out, and got 3 other of my friends to do so too.
When we went to see the movie another two of my friends were appalled at the ending and exclaimed "Oh no, we'll have to go and read the boks now!" and one of them has started it.

One small step for Peter Jackson...a giant leap for mankind!;)

JoS Metadi

Reaction score
I actually envy those who will read the LotR for the first time after seeing the FotR movie. Not only do they get to watch a totally awesome movie without all the worry and baggage of expectations, but they get to read the bok afterwards and find out that it is even BETTER.

JoS

DGoeij

Pan Narran
Reaction score
Nice thought Terran. I'm a bad person to these statistics, I've encouraged at least 4 people to read the books before the movie came out. But another two are doing so, after the movie. So I guess I'll be lending my paperbacks to people for another year or so.:)

Thorin

LOTR Purist to the end
Reaction score
Nothing to apologize for DGoeij.

I told my wife there was no way she was going to the movie with me unless she read the book first...She picked it up in October and finished it a few days after the movie came out..

As nice as it would have been to sit through a movie with no information to criticize or compare it with, it is much better to get your own idea of who the characters are and what they look like as well as let your own imagination guide you through ME then have someone else slap their own impression on you (especially when the characters were so poorly developed in the movie and Elijah Wood and Hugo Weaving would be absolute travesties to have of your first impression of Frodo and Elrond)

I pity the people who will never be able to formulate and speculate about what the Balrog looks like because they will always see what they first saw....

No, I'll take imagination over the screen any day and I gladly encouraged all my students to read the book before they saw the movies....they did, and their literary experience is much richer because of it.

DGoeij

Pan Narran
Reaction score
Funny thing, when I'm reading FOTR now, Elrond is kept the same he was in my head, no Hugo Weaving around, but Boromir suddenly has the accent of Sean Bean.
Gandalf is still the Gandalf I myself created. Pretty weird, no?

tookish-girl

Pippin's stranger sister
Reaction score
This is what I'm most afraid of. I can't re-read the novel myself because my head (and room!) is so full of movie images that I feel like I won't imagine my original characters again. My Frodo was thinner-faced and had brown eyes, unlike Elijah Wood and my Merry and Pippins were different too. So I'm going to wait a while and try to get through the Sil in the mean time!

Thread suggestions