🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

Much fun

Confusticated

Reaction score
So, how is everyone enjoying the debate tournament?

I am having a blast with it. It is cool to see all of you guys debating these topics. I also think it's quick pace is just a tad bit of hardship that enriches the experience.

We have had some interesting topics so far, and because of the competitive nature this has brought out a lot more than general discussions on the topics probably would have.

Though debates are limiting because people often have to play down certain information in order for their side to be more convincing, it does have some plusses since it makes people post about things they normally would not and it forces one to consider points of view that they otherwise wouldn't give as much consideration to.

This last few weeks have been the most fun I've had at TTF in quite awhile. Anyone else?

The tournament has brought a lot of laughs thanks to YayGollum, snaga1 and others. A lot of fun participating in, reading and judging, and even misty eyes in the case of the Finrod/Turgon debate:eek:... the attention to the mighty King's and destruction of their realms, Hurin's pleads to Turgon, and the emphasis given to the meeting of Finrod with men by baragund... a topic close to my heart. Very well said baragund!

baragund

Brother in Arms
Reaction score
I'm having a great time, too! Almost all of the time I spend in the forum is either in the tournament, or checking tournament discussion threads in each of the guilds.

The collaboration that goes on among team members is super. I'm getting to know my fellow guild members much better than I would have otherwise.

The depth of discussion is so much more rewarding than in the general discussion threads. Because you have to defend the posts you put up, and you have to try to poke holes in your opponents posts, it's necessary to really check through the books to make sure your statements are sound. In the general discussion threads, I have a tendency to post based on what I remember reading, in some cases, several years ago. And of course with each new reading, I'm constantly getting better insights (I think) into the stories.

Same goes with judging. The two teams whose work is being judged put many many hours of effort into their posts, and it shows with fascinating intepretations of events that I had never dreamed of before.

Thank you so much, Nom, for the wonderful compliment. I consider your expertise of JRRT's writings in the top 1 or 2 in this forum, so that's very high praise indeed. You know, I stumbled across that by accident. I was flipping through The Silmarillion, looking for material, and not having much luck when I came across the passage of Finrod meeting Beor's people. I read it, read it again, and read it a third time, before the magnitude of that event sank into my thick skull. Until then, I just considered it an interesting, but not very important event.

Enough babbling. You see why I have no problem with the tournament lasting a little longer (see discussion thread).

Scatha

The dragon of wrath
Reaction score
I am amusing myself, despite the fact that we are having difficulties. I entered these debates as a request, when one of our members decided to withdraw and filled the position.

So far, this has been a great experience and I am enjoying this immensely, together with our devoted captain of our team, Bethelarien.

:D

Gil-Galad

in love
Reaction score
In the very beginning I was very disappointed from the debates.It was so,because of the things that happened in Round 1 and Round 2 with our Guild.There were many organizational problems,many weak points in the whole tournament.Weak points that made me even angry.

But thanks to persons like Eriol,Ithy,Nym,Aule etc.......everything got better.And now I really enjoy the debate now,especiall Round 3 and the debate between GoT and GoS.It was a pleasure for me to read it and I even re-read several times,and I will remember it for a long time.
I was surprised by the way everything was changed,changes were made for the good of the whole tournament and that's really great.

YayGollum

Conscience of TTF
Reaction score
Columbia, South Carolina, the United States of Nor
Huh. This looks good. I'm having all kinds of fun. Why not? It looks like people have been having fun reading what I had to write. Even though some have said that I'm hard to understand. *sniff* oh well. It's my evil style, I guess. Shall half-heartedly try to fix it. What else? I think this thing is helping me remember some of the names around here. That's good. I still need an especially fun debate. The only ones I've been in were tolerable. I'm a fan of debating about all kinds of craziness.

Beleg

Fading
Reaction score
*Why do I always get cracked up after reading YayG's posts?*

Anyway to date It has been fun.
It has enhanced my knowledge of Tolkien in general and the respective topic in particular, a great deal.
I have found fun debating with some peeps,

[Inderjit, Baragund :)]

But their seems to be a general shortage of LOTR based topics. :(

YayGollum

Conscience of TTF
Reaction score
I don't know why people think my posts are funny. Or confusing. oh well. I'm just writing how I'd normally talk. Silly me. Anyways, I thought about tossing the 'Gollum was definitely the real hero!' debate in there, but I don't think that too many people would like to try my side of the arguement. *sniff*

Chymaera

Doorwarden
Reaction score
Fun?:confused:

You call this fun?:eek:

Okay I admit it Fun Fun Fun:D:D:D

I haven't worked so hard since I was in school(back while the earth was cooling);)

We are all going to be let down in the Fall when the tournament is over and we will have nothing to do until the 'Return of the Kings' hits the theaters

Eriol

Estel
Reaction score
Yep; very fun!

Sim; Muito divertido!

Si; Muy divertido!

Praise them with great praise! Many "Ernils" around here! Eglerio! A laita te, laita te!

And this is the end of the Praises for the Debating Tournament. Can we get some other languages?

:D

YayGollum

Conscience of TTF
Reaction score
Is everyone expected to be able to translate all of that? Ick. I can't. oh well. Let me see here. Praise them with great praise. Very sad. Those nasssty hobbitses should have told people about Gollum the Hero right about them. I guess they were just too evil for that. *sniff* Anyways, someone could always come up with something else to do besides just waiting for another tournament or talking about this last movie. You people are full of creative juices, right?

omnipotent_elf

Omnipotent....mmm....good
Reaction score
lol, any reason why "gollum the hero" has come up a few times yay?

i cant think of any..;)

Scatha

The dragon of wrath
Reaction score
Well, it is vacation season to most of the members. Maybe that is why not much posting is being done? ;)

YayGollum

Conscience of TTF
Reaction score
I hate that evil winking thing. oh well. Sure, I'm not stupid enough to not notice that less is happening over here nowadays. But then, my question had nothing to do with that. I can see that plenty of people are still around. I was asking if things were less fun for these people. Please excuse the confusion I didn't mean to cause by my last post.

Scatha

The dragon of wrath
Reaction score
I see. For the ones still around during off-season, things will be a little too slow for their taste. Some may decide to seek greener pastures. That is the unwritten rule on forum-life. :)

YayGollum

Conscience of TTF
Reaction score
Sounds like an evil rule that should never get written. Or maybe I'm just a crazy person who happens to have obtained a little more faith in my fellow members. :eek: :rolleyes: oh well. I see that people are still around. I expect them to post. Or at least show up here with a rant that says they're too bored to be having fun.

Scatha

The dragon of wrath
Reaction score
Yay, that would be something I would like to see as well. I have faith in a lot of the members I know, that they will stick around and make posts, but I do not know all of the members.

Showing up and posting seems to be the real issue here. They do not have to be bored, when they are on these forums, as there is plenty of things to do here. :)

Arvedui

Stargazer
Reaction score
Fun?
Of course I am having fun! I am still laughing about the Periaur vs. Tolkienology-debate.........

And TTF is a great place. I was without internet-connection for the whole of last week, and that surely made me understand how much I love this place. (Hmm, that should perhaps have been written in another thread.)

So it really doesn't bother me if there is less activity these days, there is always something intriguing to find and to read.

Scatha

The dragon of wrath
Reaction score
So it really doesn't bother me if there is less activity these days, there is always something intriguing to find and to read.
My point exactly, Arvedui. :D

YayGollum

Conscience of TTF
Reaction score
Insane people, I wasn't talking about less people showing up to post nowadays. I was ranting about people that I see are posting in the debates and not posting in here about how much fun they're having. Got it? I thought I had already cleared that up. I don't get why this Scatha person assumed that what I was actually talking about was people not showing up to post. Craziness. Anyways, what happened in that debate that you were talking about, Arvedui person?

Thread suggestions