🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

Much fun

Arvedui

Stargazer
Reaction score
All sorts of fun business.
Like the Periaur complaining about the topic, halfway into the debate.
Then the Tolkienologists complaining about the Periaur's complaints (understandably). Then the Periaur re-engaging with full force the last 24 hours, which of course triggered some reactions from the Tolkienologists.
It was great fun hosting that one.

Afterwards...:D

YayGollum

Conscience of TTF
Reaction score
Columbia, South Carolina, the United States of Nor
Sounds like you're not much of a fan of the periaur people. oh well. Doobedoobedoo... I had fun scrambling for a topic for this fourth round thing that I'm hosting. Craziness. I really wanted to go for the old Gollum was the real hero debate, but my evil mom lady said that people wouldn't like it. *sigh* I was trying to toss a topic at people so I could steal their points for later discussions. oh well. No chances for evil motives this time. :rolleyes:

Bethelarien

The Lost Evenstar
Reaction score
I'm having much more fun now that I'm not debating alone. That first round was just terrible. But, it's all gravy, and it's much fun now. Especially since I have Scatha. ;)

Of course, GoE can't seem to win any of the debates....:mad:

And YG, are you sure there are no evil motives this time? Because that topic seems to be reeking of evilness...;)

And I hope the GoP v. GoT debate is somewhere, I'd like to read that one...:D

Confusticated

Reaction score
Originally posted by Bethelarien

Of course, GoE can't seem to win any of the debates....:mad:

You guys argue very well given what you have to work with and I say your team is often at a disadvantage because most of the other teams (GoS,GoT,OiE,GoO and perhaps Periaur) have at least one team member who have read much of HoME that comes in useful in debates. Books like Morgoth's Ring, for example, can be used in a lot of debates... and always and especially those which ask for comparisons between men and elves, or deal with the nature of either of those races. GoE have been stuck with such a topic. HoME X is also of use for topics dealing with Sauron and Melkor. HoME 10 and 11 have the Annals of Aman and Grey Annals which can be of use when you need to know the dates of events, and unless one knows the Silmarillion extremely well, he/she probably doesn't have a real good knowledge of exactly when the events happend in relation to the others.

I find it to be unfair to have a topic where one side has a big advantage by reason of having read some books that give a lot of important information on the topic, when the other team has not.

Maybe I am wrong in thinking this is wrong... maybe that is just the way it goes like it or not, but I would like to see something done about this.

But at least everyone is having fun. It is nice to be able to win officially, but I think it is more important that a team feel good about their arguements whether they win it or not.

Also, even though the judges' decisions count for deciding the winner... the judges are not always right (If they were, then all judges would always have the same things to say... right?:D), and for that reason their decisions should never outweight what a person thinks of their own performance. :) [I'm sure everyone knows this - just babbling.]

YayGollum

Conscience of TTF
Reaction score
How is the topic evil? Well, I thought it was boring, but I went with it when I couldn't think of a new way to word a topic that I'd use to my advantage. :rolleyes: oh well. sorry about that. Anyways, yes, I knew that Confusticated lady. I'm having all kinds of fun no matter what the judges do. Right now, I'm having fun with being a judge, though. For that Tolkienology and ost-in-edhil thing. Looks like they're fans of jumping on people and making them look bad. Or at least using all kinds of sarcasm with each other. That's always fun to read.

Arvedui

Stargazer
Reaction score
It is, isn't it?
And also a bit more fun way of debating. At least how I see it, and it looks as if thats the way the Tolkienologists liked it as well. One more example of how much fun this sort of thing can be.
And Yay, I don't have anything against the GoP. In fact, I don't have anything against anyone here on TTF. That is perhaps why I spend so much time here.:)

From what Nóm says, I suppose it was a good idea to start reading Morgoth's Ring a week ago, then?

Manveru

(former)blue angel of GoT
Reaction score
Originally posted by Nóm
So, how is everyone enjoying the debate tournament?

I am having a blast with it. It is cool to see all of you guys debating these topics. I also think it's quick pace is just a tad bit of hardship that enriches the experience.

We have had some interesting topics so far, and because of the competitive nature this has brought out a lot more than general discussions on the topics probably would have.

Though debates are limiting because people often have to play down certain information in order for their side to be more convincing, it does have some plusses since it makes people post about things they normally would not and it forces one to consider points of view that they otherwise wouldn't give as much consideration to.

This last few weeks have been the most fun I've had at TTF in quite awhile. Anyone else?

The tournament has brought a lot of laughs thanks to YayGollum, snaga1 and others. A lot of fun participating in, reading and judging, and even misty eyes in the case of the Finrod/Turgon debate:eek:... the attention to the mighty King's and destruction of their realms, Hurin's pleads to Turgon, and the emphasis given to the meeting of Finrod with men by baragund... a topic close to my heart. Very well said baragund!
So far ... so good :D
I haven't got a chance to participate, yet... (I'm about to have my ''debute'' in the 5th round against GoE/GoD--I'm looking forward to that:D).
But I spent some time here reading the debates and wow... they're amazing - You guys are amazing!! - I don't know if I can 'match' with such a good debators... We'll see ;)
So the answer to the first question... Yeah! I enjoy the debates:D:D
(I hope that this 'summer frenzy' won't spoil the atmosphere here;))

YayGollum

Conscience of TTF
Reaction score
I never wrote that I thought you had anything against the periaur people. I just wrote that I thought you weren't a fan. oh well. just from the fact that you were talking about them complaining and doing all kinds of craziness in the last twenty-four hours. Didn't sound like the most admirable thing to point out. Maybe I'm just crazy.

Manveru

(former)blue angel of GoT
Reaction score
Now that I participated at last (in Rnd 6 against the GoO) I may truely say I have had fun from debates (active debating;)).

Looks like there's gonna be a draw... whatever happens to that last vote (Scatha's or baragund's--I'm little confused;))... whether GoT or GoO wins... it doesn't matter... it was pure fun debating with you guys...

:D

Aulë

The Larrikin
Reaction score
I think that both baragund and Scatha still need to judge in your debate.
Three votes have been cast so far (one of which was an averaged vote between reem and Ciryaher), and all have been 'draws'.

YayGollum

Conscience of TTF
Reaction score
That was your first debate tournament thing, Manveru person? Huh. Maybe I've just seen you in too many other places. oh well. Yes, I didn't mind this topic as much as some of the others. It was, as the title of this thread reminds me to point out, much fun. Too short. Too easy, too, but I can't talk about that yet, I guess. :rolleyes:

Lhunithiliel

Fëanorean
Reaction score
Originally posted by Arvedui
All sorts of fun business.
Like the Periaur complaining about the topic, halfway into the debate.
Then the Tolkienologists complaining about the Periaur's complaints (understandably). Then the Periaur re-engaging with full force the last 24 hours, which of course triggered some reactions from the Tolkienologists.
It was great fun hosting that one.

Afterwards...:D
Well.... To me ...to us...it was surely NOT fun! :(
And I deffinitely don't think the Periaurs' arguments were so valuable or strong as to win them that debate! ...But that discussion is long closed....

Besides... what do you mean that the Tolkienologists like it to debate with sarcasm? :rolleyes:
Please! The debates are, in addition to all, meeting people and interacting with them... And ain't human relations based on the "mirror"- principle?! We behave responding to what we "see in the mirror"!

And I don't see why our attempts to get fair play is understood as "complaining"!!!:eek:

Thread suggestions