🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

Music of FotR

Varda

Reaction score
I think one of the best aspects of the movie is the music composed by Howard Shore. Not only is it an awesome score, but it relates to the feeling of LotR so well. Every time I hear it, (which is pretty much every other night) I relive the movie.

Anyway, I play the bass clarinet and I was looking for the sheet music because I'm dying to play it. If there are any more music-lovers out there who know anything about the availability of the score for the movie--please help

R

ReadWryt

Alas, at this time only the song by Enya is available on sheet music. After looking about extensively I was unable to find it available from any distributors, which leads me to believe that it is about to be released. The link to it on Warner Brothers Publishing is HERE

Keep checking back there, popular scores eventually make it out on Sheet Music in some form or another. I remember sitting for hours with the music for themes from Star Wars at the organ plugging away for hours on end...

The URL for the site is http://www.warnerbrospub.com/ .

Peter of the Trees

Reaction score
I agree Varda Although I love the movie , the music is probably the thing that captures the mood of Middle Earth for me . Its one of the most moving pieces I've heard in ages and although the themes are repeated they vary and echo in subtle ways and tell the story leaving you to create your own visuals like you said . I'd be very interested to know if Shore and the LPO are planning a concert maybe at the albert hall , that would be amazing . The Fanfare at the end of the flight to the ford has had me in tears a couple of times lol - its as though all the elf hosts of old are willing Bruinen to rise up .
Apparently the extended DVD will have new extra music on it wow . Cant wait , and me an old Punk Rocker lol .

Niniel

Random Quoter
Reaction score
I bought the CD even before I had seen the movie, and I listen to it almost once every day for the last 3 months (does that sound a bit freaky? I do of course other things as well while listening). A film critic in a newspaper said that he hated the music, well I'd say he knows nothing about music or something!

R

ReadWryt

I thought that Shore did more stealing from himself then Williams, and that the score was repetative and lacked inspiration from the actual story, but was more inspired by the actions. As a score I felt it worked quite well, but if I had to hear the same theme again by the end I was going to scream...

Peter of the Trees

Reaction score
I see what your saying about the repetitive themes Read I felt the same especially at my first viewing when I was actually disappointed with the score , try listening to the soundtrack on its own while reading any middle earth stories and youll appreciate it more . The mood is darker than at first perceived and the recurring themes become more of a battle between good and evil than simply a repetition .

PRH

Reaction score
Originally posted by ReadWryt
I thought...that the score was repetative and lacked inspiration from the actual story, but was more inspired by the actions.
I would only agree on a few tracks: The Black Rider, Flight to the Ford, and The Bridge of Kazhad Dum. Those tracks contained a lot of 'action inspiritaion' while most of the rest was 'story inspired.' Just to clarify meanings: The 'story inspired' stuff is certainly matched to action but it stands on it's own as a piece of music whereas the 'action inspired' stuff really only fully works if you picture what's going on at the point in the movie.

For my money the Lorien/Great River/Amon Hen/Breaking of the Fellowship 'suite' just can't be beat. There are a lot of great parts here and there in the other tracks but these 4 are just excellent through their entire length.

Thorin

LOTR Purist to the end
Reaction score
I thought that Shore did more stealing from himself then Williams, and that the score was repetative and lacked inspiration from the actual story, but was more inspired by the actions. As a score I felt it worked quite well, but if I had to hear the same theme again by the end I was going to scream...
Actually, RW, a common theme that runs through the soundtrack is commonplace in many soundtracks (I think Titanic and Braveheart). I think that it is a good idea.

My favorite tracks are 13-18. They are haunting and in inspiring. I am a musician and the more I listen to the structure of the music, the more I can't fathom how Shore got passed over for any previous awards. It is structurally impressive and an incredible feat of ingenuity. I sure hope it wins an Oscar. I especially love the choral chanting.

Anyway. Possibly this is in my CD but I'm too lazy to look at it. Does anyone know what the chorus is chanting on that re-occuring theme through tracks 3, 5-8? DA DA.....DA DAAAAA DA?

R

ReadWryt

Yeah...well. At least John Williams creates themes for individual characters...This had the "Whispy Psudo-celtic theme written to be the "Best Song" nominee", the "Scary-angry dark battle music" and the "alltogether too cute Hobbit music that is merely a variation on the first theme with Tin Whistle.". I listened to the CD again today and, although head over heels better then the music from the Bakshi score which sounded like an orchestra trapped in someone's closet and far more repetative, I still felt slighted by the absence of a LOVE THEME or Frodo's Theme. One would really think that the fantastic love between Aragorn and Arwen would have rated it's own theme, but alas I really didn't hear anything different then what was on the rest of the score.

I am a fan of Shore, don't get me wrong...some of the best stuff he did was done for Chronenburg ...Videodrome, although sparsely orchestrated, was actually an incredible score...and his job on the music for the early Saturday Night Live was great! Not just the modern stuff but the music that was thematic parody of Movie Music was stand up work. (Besides, who could hate the guy who wrote the "Spud Beer" music?)

PRH

Reaction score
One would really think that the fantastic love between Aragorn and Arwen would have rated it's own theme, but alas I really didn't hear anything different then what was on the rest of the score.
Ever notice a little track called "Aniron - Theme for Aragorn and Arwen?"

At least John Williams creates themes for individual characters...One would really think that the fantastic love between Aragorn and Arwen would have rated it's own theme, but alas I really didn't hear anything different then what was on the rest of the score.
It's got individual themes for each of the following:
Frodo, Hobbits, The Black Riders, The Fellowship, Arwen, Arwen & Aragorn, The Ring, Saruman's Troops, Sauron, Gollum, Galadriel, Temptation from the Ring, a Journeying type theme and one more I can't quite name...maybe a prophecy theme.

John Williams in the original Star Wars had fewer recurring themes (Rebel Fanfare, The Force, Leia, Death Star...that's about it.)

Legolam

Ad astra per aspera
Reaction score
I have to admit that when I first saw the movie, I was expecting to be bowled over by the music, and wasn't. To be honest, I didn't really remember any of it. I told this to my boyfriend, and he suddenly got very scared, because (unknown to me) he'd bought me the soundtrack for my Christmas.

But then, I saw the movie again, and listened to the soundtrack loads (great for revising to by the way), and I now think it is great both as a soundtrack and as a stand alone CD. I think maybe the film just held my attention far too well for me to listen to the music properly! :)

Hawkblaze

the Blue of the Istari
Reaction score
I thought the main theme (the trumpet fanfare in the very begginning of track 13) was perfect. The funny thing is that the Hobbit theme kind of "leads in" to the main theme. I thought he overused the chorus too much, it seemed like they said the same thing over and over again. If you want to hear more cool music *sets up impenetrable force field around himself to block thrown tomatoes* pick up the Harry Potter soundtrack. Williams is the master. I love the way he builds an almost inumerable amount of themes and then brings them all together in one track (Hedwig's Theme). I think the best track on that CD is the Chess Game.

R

ReadWryt

...never mind the fact that at least three of the "Themes" are the exact same theme with different instrumentation...

PRH

Reaction score
...never mind the fact that at least three of the "Themes" are the exact same theme with different instrumentation...
Wrong again. Every one of the themes I listed above are absolutely distinct. NOT just variations with different instrumentations. I can prove this if you still don't agree but it'll take some serious time to get everything together.

PRH

Reaction score
Okay, I went ahead and did it. Get the attachment of zipped Real Player files for each of the themes.

Since the size limit is like 400KB I broke it into two - get the rest in the next post.

Be sure to save as a .zip.

btw - there is no 'prophecy' theme. I was double counting the ring theme.

Attachments

PRH

Reaction score
Here is part two of the zipped file of Real Player encoded themes.

be sure to save as .zip!

Attachments

Peter of the Trees

Reaction score
On the theme of John Williams - he is undoubtedly a great composer his track record speaks for itself ; but did you really want TLOTR to become star wars ? Shore has managed to create a soundtrack both dark and subtle enough for middle earth ; could Williams have done this as well ? I personally think not . We'd have ended up with Indiana Gandalf and the Temple of Sauron . I'd have picked Elfman over Williams and made him live in a wood for a year .

Thorin

LOTR Purist to the end
Reaction score
Well, it won it! And deservedly so!

I like what Shore did...He went and talked about how it was to make music from the WORDS of Tolkien...not the great, fantastic imagination of Jackson.

Unlike the rest of the winners, he gave credit where credit was due.

Based on this, Read Wryt, you can see why the love theme from Aragorn and Arwen wasn't vamped up like some soap opera. It never existed in the real story of LoTR (except for the appendix). Of all people, you should be glad that Shore never centered his music on this....

Way to go Shore!

PS: For all you Christians out there....Does the main theme make you think of "This is My Father's World" everytime you hear it like me?

Last edited:

PRH

Reaction score
Originally posted by Thorin
Based on this, Read Wryt, you can see why the love theme from Aragorn and Arwen wasn't vamped up like some soap opera. It never existed in the real story of LoTR (except for the appendix). Of all people, you should be glad that Shore never centered his music on this....
I still don't get what you're refering to. Arwen and Aragorn had one love-type-scene alone together and they played the love theme (Aniron). This is as full-blown as it gets in any movie. I suspect we'll hear Aniron in some form again in TTT and ROTK when Arwen and Aragorn are together.

Originally posted by Thorin
PS: For all you Christians out there....Does the main theme make you think of "This is My Father's World" everytiime you hear it like me?
That's Frodo's theme btw, and yes, at first it did. Now "My Father's World" reminds me of Frodo's theme!

Thread suggestions