🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

Musical istruments in Middle-Earth

Anarchist

The Eternal Champion
Reaction score
Lord of the Rings is full of songs sang by a lot of people. Tolkien never mentions anything about musical isntruments. Did they use any? Eru and the Valar didn't need instruments. But what about Elves, Men and other creatures in Middle Earth?

Ossiriand Blade

Reaction score
I think he mentions harps,Celeborn is playing a silver harp when he is going to the grey havens,as far as I remember.And in the Hobbit the dwarves have musical instruments at Bag End.He is also well into horns!!!!

Bill the Pony

Reaction score
From the first chapter of The Hobbit
"Now for some music!" said Thorin. "Bring out the instruments!"
Kili and Fili rushed for their bags and brought back little fiddles; Dori, Nori, and Ori brought out flutes from somewhere inside their coats; Bombur produced a drum from the hall; Bifur and Bofur went out too, and came back with clarinets that they had left among the walking-sticks Dwalin and Balin said: "Excuse me, I left mine in the porch!" "Just bring mine in with you," said Thorin. They came back with viols as big as themselves, and with Thorin's harp wrapped in a green cloth. It was a beautiful gold-en harp, and when Thorin struck it the music began all at once, so sudden and sweet that Bilbo forgot everything else, and was swept away into dark lands under strange moons, far over The Water and very far from his hobbit-hole under The Hill.
I do wonder if they left their "viols as big as themselves" in Bag End when they left on their quest?

Anarchist

The Eternal Champion
Reaction score
I guess you are right Bill but I have never read The Hobbit. I was particularly wandering about the Elves in Rivendell and Lorien. Tolkien says about music but doesn't mention anything about instruments. Maybe it's what you said.

Ciryaher

Witch of Resurrection
Reaction score
Pipes, flutes, lutes, lyres, harps, horns, trumpets, and drums are several instruments I can remember being mentioned outside the Hobbit (woot for clarinets! Go Bifur and Bofur!)

Lantarion

no house
Reaction score
All these instruments are very medieval. I don't think very many people play the lute anymore, or the lyre. And the harp has grown in size, and is used only in symphony orchestras.
Oromë had a horn, the Valaróma, but I don't think he played "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star" on it. More in the tone of, "The wrath of the Valar has fallen upon thee. Flee if you see it fit, but none shall excape the anger of the Powers! Muahahahahaa!!"
Or something. :D
Anyway, I think the Ainur could sort of 'make' music just by thinking about it, or thinking about things with more depth. It's just that I can't really picture Varda playing the piano in the Ainulindalë! :)

Anarchist

The Eternal Champion
Reaction score
About Ainur, Valar and Eru I am sure they could make music just by thinking it. They were Gods after all and the whole idea of creating Middle-Earth is based on music. About races of Middle-Earth we should think the music played in Tolkien's time and maybe some classical instruments. Just an opinion.

legoman

Humourous Bombadillian #2
Reaction score
hmmm, thats an interesting point, I may even concede, but I wanted to put it and couldn't think of anything else that couldn't, do they die of old age, cos thats kindof conventional.

Lantarion

no house
Reaction score
Of course it is. I don't think Fëanor is even mentioned in the LotR.
And I'm not at all convinced about the 'self pity'- method. How can you die like that? Feel yourself sorry to death??
I think you must have meant sorrow, because I have read somewhere that Elves can die of absolute sadness. That's how it is in Finnish mythology, as well.

Anarchist

The Eternal Champion
Reaction score
I think you should create an "Elf dying methods" poll where the matter would be discussed. Let's talk only about music in this poll please.

Thread suggestions