🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

My God, It Was Horrible!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beorn

In the shadows
Staff member
Reaction score
All you doomsayers were right. It was absolutely horrible. I was crying in the theater. I wanted to walk out, but I didn't b/c my friends were there!

All the party is screwed up, out of order, shortened.

The trip to Bree was in 45 minutes or so...not 1.30 like it should've been.

IT WAS HORRIBLE!!!

When Gandalf fell into the chasm, he had his arms out straight, his legs too, as if he was crucified.

THE BALROG HAS LARGE ARMS...NO WINGS

I was saying to myself throughout the entire movie "It is just an interpretation"

I doubt I will actually see the second and third movies. There is so much changed. PJ trys to make parts humorous. THE COUNCIL OF ELROND IS TOO F'IN SHORT!

They show the destruction of the Shire to Frodo in the Mirror, but it shouldn't take place w/o the Scouring...

MAY YOU BE CAST INTO THE CRACKS OF DOOM, YOU OBSINATE FOOL, PETER JACKASS. MAY YOU SUFFER ENDLESSLY, BEING TORTURED UNTIL YOU ARE NEXT TO DEATH. MAY YOU FEEL THE PAIN THAT WE HAVE FELT, HAVING OUR FAVORITE BOOK OF ALL TIME DESTROYED, MADE INTO A BASTARDIZATION OF THE GREATEST WORKS WRITTEN THIS CENTURY. MAY YOU BE TORTURED BY DEATH THREATS, NAME CALLING, AND FEAR OF BEING ATTACKED UNTIL YOU FIND A WAY TO REPAY YOUR DEBT TO TOLKIEN, HIS FAMILY, AND US, HIS LOYAL FANS. FOREVER CURSE YOU TO THE TORTURES OF BEING THE DESTROYER, THE RAPER OF TOLKIEN'S WORKS.

AND, A QUOTE FROM THE MOVIE, WHICH WAS ONE OF THE FEW THINGS YOU DID RIGHT...

Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement.
YOU CAN BET YOUR FAT A$$ THAT I WOULD BE SWIFT TO MAKE THIS JUDGEMENT. I WOULD NOT HAVE YOU PUT TO DEATH, BUT I WOULD HAVE YOU STRIPPED OF ALL DIGNITY, ASSUMING YOU HAVE THE SLIGHTEST TRACE OF IT, I WOULD BE SURE THAT YOU NEVER AGAIN ARE ALLOWED TO WORK WITH ANY SHRED OF THE LORD OF THE RINGS, BY J. R. R. TOLKIEN

Last edited:

rast_lotrlover

Reaction score
YOU KNOW WHAT I THINK? if you were a TRUE fan of the books, you'd appreciate any small shred of lotr you could get. even if he did screw everything up(like sam not looking in tha mirror, gorfindel not existing, galadriel crazyier than shes supposed to be, elrond being a jackass, hobbits not looking chubby enough, mispronoucing things like Gandalf(which is pronouced Gandalve) and celeborn(which is pronouced keleborn), and many other things), its still lotr, and if u ask me, its not that bad of an interpritation. have you seen the cartoon of lotr? all the books squashed into 1hour1/2? now THAT was bad, but since it was still lotr, its wasnt that bad because they did theyre best. and just bcuz the movie sux, a REAL lotr fan would never feel hate, or even dislike, towards a fellow lotr fan. if he liked the books, then he kix ass, even if he didnt read teh appendices b4 making a movie, or screwed up the whole thing. ITS STILL LOTR AND IT SHOULD BE APPRECIATED!!!!!!!!

Aerin

Halfway out the door
Reaction score
Look, I just got home from seeing the movie. For what it was, it was very good. For what it WASN'T, it wasn't LOTR. I am a devoted Tolkien fan, but I am not starving for any jerk's interpretation of LOTR. I am not desperate for PJ's cheap imitation of the best piece of literature in existence!!! Don't tell me what I want, Rasta_lotrlover!!! I am the only one who knows what I want, and nobody is going to change my mind!!!
Sure, PJ may be BASED the movie on LOTR, but he didn't stay very true to the books! So don't go shoving your opinion down my throat! If PJ had included all the characters and symbolism from LOTR, then he deserves some huge award, but what he did was marginally acceptable.
I will say that PJ stuck somewhat to the storyline, but he wandered off the road quite a bit!

rast_lotrlover

Reaction score
i agree with you fully, and theres no need to start a war here, but i still think you should accept his interpretation because, well, maybe hes mentally challenged and he didnt realize what he was doing. its not his fault. its hollywood's.

Talierin

Still here... sometimes
Reaction score
Amen Brother Mike! I'll be writing up a long review tonight on every thing that was wrong that I can remember.:mad:

E

el Damahj

*shaking in trepidation*

Hello.
This is my first post.

This film's still five days away in Sydney.
What Tolkien created is beyond the cage of words. . . .

To anyone who has the film already, please tell me, reassure me.

Are there enough redemming features in this 'interpretation' to make it worth seeing? If it was painful to watch what kept you from walking out? And having seen it would you see it again?

*shaking in trepidation *

rast_lotrlover

Reaction score
Ive seen it twice in the first day it came out!!!!!!!!!
and im going to see it a dozen times more! its worth seing-trustme

yes, hollywood is made by directors and so forth, BUT, deep down, its made by Satan. So blame it on the devil, not PJ.

Telchar

Someone out there?
Reaction score
A friend of mine, who hasn't read LoTR, thought the movie was great.. As for my opinion, I'm probably not going to see it again..

SirNothingman

Reaction score
Go ahead make my dad

You are all making my day because I am going tonight and NOW I know what to expect...it is much easier to accept the bad news/bad movie...I wish I wasn't so emotionally connected!

DAM IT DAM IT....Take all things with a grain of salt.

Valinorean

Reaction score
Yes, by all means, take it with a grain of salt. Heck, take the salt-shaker with you.

Mike B, I was afraid to show it on the board for fear of causing trouble, but I agree with you so much. Thank you for your strong comments. Long live Gondor!

People keep asking me how it was, and I just shake my head. I wanted to leave, but I dragged my sister to see a movie at midnight, and she wasn't going to budge.

The worst part was seeing the smiles on the faces of all the other movie-goers. I wanted to stand up and scream!!!!

I should just leave this forum and insulate myself from the comments of all these movie fans who will join the forum just to scold us and never even look at the threads that are NOT about the movie. . .

M

masterofmiderth

the movie is disapointing!

Peter Jackson pre-movie rhetoric was that he read the book over and over so that they could get it right. What a farce!

The hobbits are just baggage in the picture. Frodo shows no signs of having bravery or charictor.

Merry and Piipen are just bumbeling fools.

Aragorn doesn't belive in himself.

There is way too much violence. It is not what the book is about. They spent too long killing the cave troll and torturing Gandalf.

Why is Arwen the hero?

Why is Gandolf hugging hobbits?

Frankly, the animated and the radio adaption was much better.

Unfortunatly, all the rookies out there who haven't read and re-read the book, will have no idea about the absolute brillance of the man J.R.R. Tolkein. Long live his works!

Kementari

Lady Writer
Reaction score
ive decided the i am NOT going to see this movie. I start crying when i see the trailers i cant imagine what the movie would be like.
Its ONLY a money making movie, its not worth all this trouble

B

Black Rider 7

Why did you guys even go see the movie? How are you supposed to fit a 300 page book into a movie and still make it true to the work? Its not going to happen. Have you ever seen Ulysses? Have you ever read the Godfather? I have yet to read one problem that wasn't mentioned in the forum months ago. If you knew that there would be all of these problems, why did you go to see it, on opening day no less? They got your money, so that gives them the thumbs up. So congrats, they butchered your precious and still win. At least you have something to whine about, and it only cost you $8.

SirNothingman

Reaction score
The Lord of the OTHER RING

Well....I am going to see it and I will not whine. But you are right to say they stole our money.
Merry and Piipen are just bumbeling fools
I must say that I have always considered Merry and Pippen as devoted bumbling fools in the first book. Always sticking their noses where it didn't belong. You are true to say:
Why is Gandolf hugging hobbits?
Gandalf would never hug anyone...never.

The fact is if we ever expected it to be perfect we would have been kidding ourselves it is sad that Peter jacka$$ gave the impression that he read the books and kept up the storyline. He only did that so WE would wait in line to get into the first showing. He knows he didn't keep with the books; he played us off for fools.

Oh well, I hear the MOVIE is good...nothing like the book but a good MOVIE.

The Lord of the Other Ring

O

Oyarsa

Mike B,
I thought I saw wings on the Balrog. Granted black wings with reddish edging doesn't exactly stand out against a black and red backdrop.

And no one has mentioned the heaps of Dwarrow corpses at the western gate of Moria.

Or the apparent crossbreeding of orcs and squirrels to create a pillar climbing race.

Or the Crebain flying over what did not look like Hollin.

Or the cramped quarters of the Prancing Pony's common room. Oh yeah that's the Shire-to-Rivendell flaw.

Or if/when Aragorn gets Anduril. Was it even reforged in Rivendell?

Or Legolas wearing boots.

Or Gimli advocating Moria against Gandalf's advice.

Sorry, its easy to get carried away.

Valinorean

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum Oyarsa!

I was looking for the wings on the Balrog too, but you are right - it was hard to see.

And the sword - it is so important to the story and establishing Aragorn as the true heir - I was disappointed not to see it at the Council.

G

GimliOfGloin

Inconsistencies

Ok, I saw the movie last night at midnight.
As a whole, I'm "satisfied" with the movie.

What I could not get over was some of the changes that PJ made that have not been addressed.

Upon entering Lothlorien, Gimli is just allowed to come on in. No mention of "no dwarves allowed in" or anything like that. Also what about the wonderful presents bestowed upon the fellowship by Galadriel. And Gimli's love for Galadriel?

There were no dwarves at Bilbo's birthday party!!!!

I hated the ending, Frodo leaving and telling everybody he was leaving.

Samwise was a little over the top for me. I think they stayed true to character with him, but he just comes across as a little too much of a wuss.

And what about Aragorn's sword? Was it reforged in Rivendell? They show the shards of the sword in Rivendell, but make no mention of him carrying it.

And when did Sauron's entire HAND get chopped off? I thought Isildur cut off Sauron's hand. I was actually reading The Two Towers last night after the movie, and it came to a point where Sam and Frodo were discussing Sauron with Smeagol, and Smeagol referred to Sauron as "the one with 9 fingers"

Oh well, maybe I'm just too critical.

Again, I did enjoy the movie for what it was, and I'm not going to even mention the whole Arwen thing............

M

mbarlo

This thread started with a totally unrealistic rant! :p

The movie is great, I saw it on the 19th and will see it many times again. Sure, I would have prefered they hadn't replaced Glorfindel with Arwen and a lot was left out. It's nearly 3 hours long, so objecting to missing parts is like saying it should be even longer which isn't going to happen.

It's not perfect, but considering the different media it's as good as could be expected. :)

Ness

Cleptochild
Reaction score
MISSING PARTS?!?!?!?! There wern't just missing parts, i would understand missing parts. but do you understand that the parts that they did have in there they completely massacered?!?!? im not even going to go into the whole thing about Arwen, but they made it seem like it only took like a half an hour for the poision to work Frodo to a wraith, when in acuality it took 17 days. a bout the balrog thing, there were wings on it, but they were hard to see. i might see the movie again, but only so that i have more proof to back up my stand. that is also the reason that i will go and see the second and third movies as well. well, about the movies being way to long, i dont propose that they make like a 12 hour movie, i think that if pj really read the books, he would realize that he could make 6 movies, and have much more details. Of course with pj, even a movie on the 1st out of the 6 books would be totally screwed up. well see ya later.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thread suggestions