🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

My God, It Was Horrible!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Morwen

Daughter of the Dark
Reaction score
Everybody must understand that the producers have poetic licences. They can to whatever they please in making a movie. It should have been excepted from the start that not everything in the books was going to be in the movie. We've seen it happen to Dune. accept that it wasn't like the book and get on with it. Movies are hardly EVER like the books. Look at the movie without comparing it to the book. Enjoy it! Peter Jackson couldn't put every single detail into the movie. Yes, he changed alot. I am somewhat dissapointed at this fact, but you have to admit that it probably is a very good movie. I haven't seen the movie yet, but I almost know what to expect. I'll enjoy it anyway. Maybe in the future somebody else will take on the challenge of creating a pure LOTR movie. We can't come to expect to much from hollywood. Be at peace. Reading is much better than watching a movie anyway:D

Mithrandir

Mithers the Grand Wizard
Reaction score
OK. I have seen the Movie and read some very ligit views from many of you. This is what I feel about the whole thing:

As a Movie it was phenomonal. As a Movie. If you want to look @ it as a portrayal as J.R.R.Tolkien's Lord of the Ring's than you are going to be greatly disapointed. It is not Tolkien's it is Peter Jackson's. As a director he has the right to make these changes, but I would rather he would just come out and say it. It is like I have said to many of my friends, if I had never read the books and saw the movie than would think it was one of the best movies of all time, which in reality it was.
I thought that the begining sequences of the history of the ring were portrayed beautifully and suprisingly accurate. The biggest thing that disapointed me was HOW MUCH was taken out and added in. I remember thinking, how in the world are they going to make this 3 hours long, they are already half way through.
The lack of content from the book was a huge disapointement for me, and it really ruined my first expierence of the movie.
I would like to just look at this movie as a great action movie and nothing else, because that is what it is.

Now all this is not to say that there were good things about the movie, because there were, linguistics was accurate, a lot of the same lines from the book were in there, and the special effects were phenominal. I hope that we can at least see some of the good things as well and try to enjoy the film.

~Mithers

Last edited:

Beorn

In the shadows
Staff member
Reaction score
Ah, I don't have the patience now to attack each subject at once, so I'll address each person...I'm still peeved about last night's TRAGEDY!

Ok, I'll start off addressing each and every person. Those of you who know me know that I'm not usually angry...

Rasta_lotrLover:
YOU KNOW WHAT I THINK? if you were a TRUE fan of the books, you'd appreciate any small shred of lotr you could get. even if he did screw everything up(like sam not looking in tha mirror, gorfindel not existing, galadriel crazyier than shes supposed to be, elrond being a jackass, hobbits not looking chubby enough, mispronoucing things like Gandalf(which is pronouced Gandalve) and celeborn(which is pronouced keleborn), and many other things), its still lotr, and if u ask me, its not that bad of an interpritation. have you seen the cartoon of lotr? all the books squashed into 1hour1/2? now THAT was bad, but since it was still lotr, its wasnt that bad because they did theyre best. and just bcuz the movie sux, a REAL lotr fan would never feel hate, or even dislike, towards a fellow lotr fan. if he liked the books, then he kix ass, even if he didnt read teh appendices b4 making a movie, or screwed up the whole thing. ITS STILL LOTR AND IT SHOULD BE APPRECIATED!!!!!!!!
a) try learning to type right....
b) I am a true fan. You might have a different idea of a fan than I do, or anyone else...I believe that Peter Jacka$$ did not try to stay close to the book. Even stupid things, such as the boots...and taking 6 days from Weathertop -> Rivendel instead of a fortnight (actually in the book it was estimated by Strider to be a fortnight, but turned out to....I think 17 days).

Val(inorean)--Thanx for your support (and Tal & Aerin). I was disappointed, saddened, when the movie-goers were laughing with Gandalf's height disorder in a hobbit hole, and Merry & Pippins dragon*See Below!*.

Oyarsa-I got into a little discussion (a verbal debate) on whether or not the Balrog had wings. They seemed like large arms more than anything else. I think what PJ was trying to do was make it be able to be interpreted both ways, as the book can be (Counting 1[/i] consistency (sp?)

Anyone-IIRC, Strider was sitting at the bar watching, not in a corner... I think there should be a new acronym: S-RF, which means the Shire to Rivendel Flaw. S-RF would include Tom, The PP, Merry & Pippin just happening to run literally into Sam & Frodo, Time disorder (Frodo being 33 not 50), Arwen at the Ford, Sam knowing the weed Kingsfoil...

mbarlo:
This thread started with a totally unrealistic rant!

The movie is great, I saw it on the 19th and will see it many times again. Sure, I would have prefered they hadn't replaced Glorfindel with Arwen and a lot was left out. It's nearly 3 hours long, so objecting to missing parts is like saying it should be even longer which isn't going to happen.

It's not perfect, but considering the different media it's as good as could be expected.
Totally Unrealistic rant...hmm...So, being angry that the director spoke out of both rear ends (the one on his head, and the one by his womanhood? It may be three hours long with things taken out, but there were stupid things added in that shouldn't have...Say you have 10 RED Apples (Tolkien's work) and you're only allowed 5. The logical thing to do would be to get rid of 5. But Peter Jacka$$ got rid of 8, and added 3 of his own BLACK Apples.

Anyone--Kingsfoil you are supposed to boil & let the fumes of it heal you, and/or soak a rag with the boiled substance and put it on the wound. NOW, you cannot boil anything by shoving it in your mouth and chewing it like it was shown by Strider.

Now, here comes my botching (hehe Aerin), all of which will be addressed Here:

• Merry & Pippin didn't run into Frodo & Sam
  • Distorted Time Line
  • Gandalf fell looking like he was cruscified (sp?)
  • Merry & Pippin weren't at the friggen party
  • Most people don't carry around 4 extra swords that are too small for you.
  • The Ponies
  • Gimli's beard
  • Synchronized Stalking-the new Olympic Game
  • I only saw 5 riders go into the river, not all nine
  • The stupid incantation
  • Legolas' weapons
  • That Balrog Thingy

A

Alathorn

Personally, i thought the movie was amazing. It was very well done, the effects were brilliant, and the movie never slowed down.

Most of the complaints people have with the movie are not really that important, and a few are incorrect.

1) The Balrog DID have wings, they were hard to see because of the darkness and the fire, but if you were watching, they were there.

The movie did not follow the book correctly, but they did not change any of the major points in the book. The complaints from people about scenes being too short, what do you expect? The movie was 3 hours long! For every scene to be as long as it was in the book, it would of been 6 hours instead of 3, and i think just about everyone would of got tired of sitting in that theatre for 6 hours.

I think that most of the stuff that was missing was not cut because they wanted to change the story, but simply a matter of time. If they had added all those scenes and discussions, you are talking more time in the movie, and the movie was already long as it was. It would of been very hard to get a studio to release a movie that long, and nearly impossible to get one even longer.

And for those who think 6 movies would of been better, they had enough trouble getting the money for 3, i doubt any company in the world would of funded 6 movies, with no idea on the return of money until long after they were done.

I agree with some people's comments, to a point. The Arwyn debate, they expanded on a lot, but they didn't do that much, just made her more confident, and call upon the river to sweep away the wraiths.

The only think i wish they had covered was the reforging of Anduril, to help show Aragorn's right to rule.

I am wondering though, they said they cut out about 2 hours of scenes from the movie. I bet when the DVD comes out with the deleted scenes, most of the missing stuff will be there.

All in all, I thought this was a great movie, and doubt i will ever see a better retelling of these books. I thought it was done very tastefully and carefully, and there was little adaptation, other than a few scenes, which i think was done to save time more than anything, and didn't really change the story as a whole.

rast_lotrlover

Reaction score
first of all mike, youre telling me not to do typos, well, ***Deleted by ReadWryt*** , because i have a life and i dont want 2 spend my entire day on this like you probably do.
and i'd like 2 thank everperson who has liked the movie, to me those people are true fans. and to those who thought it was horrible, well, if find your sense of reasoning dull. Its only a matter of ***Delete by ReadWryt*** opinion. so shut the ***Deleted by ReadWryt*** up you haters and let the true fans enjoy the freacking movie. ***Deleted by ReadWryt***. appreciate the ***Deleted by ReadWryt*** u can get ***Deleted by ReadWryt***, if u dont like it make a movie yourselves.

AngelElf

Reaction score
You all really need to calm down. We all knew that the movie was not going to be exactly like the book. Its not possible. It may be true that PJ should never even have tried to interpret the book into a movie but he did and there is nothing we can do about it. For what it was the movie was good. Can we please not attack each other? everyone is allowed an opinion.

On a lighter note. Someone earlier said that they wanted to stand up and scream at the movie. Well, in the theater that I went to as the ending credits came up a man jumped up and screamed NOOOOOOO!!! It was pretty funny b/c I thougt of all those here that would be doing just that when they saw the movie.

Shanoncia

Reaction score
Spirits revealed

All of thee hath revealed a great deal thy true self in thy scathing reviews. Needless to say surely thou would be corrupted if thou were tempted only once by the one ring. Ignorant people cast blame, yet the wise will seek solutions. My celtic agression sees through thy layers of anger and into an empty soul, a void, which harbours not even a lack. Who are you to say great works are garbage ? Was it thee who who dedicated 2 years of labour and an immortality of passion into this project. NAY, 'twas not. Cowardly fool, thou will meet thy own ends soon enough I suppose. How couldst thou expect a mythical, fantastical land created in the abstract mind of a genious to be perfectly portrayed in 3 hours time? Thou art lacking love. Thou art lacking music in thy soul. Cursed be thy forked tongue which so cunningly spouts fire in the dark, yet coats itself in honey during day. 'Tis to late for thou. You cannot pass.

Beorn

In the shadows
Staff member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Rasta_lotrlover
first of all mike, youre telling me not to do typos, well, suck my c***, because i have a life and i dont want 2 spend my entire day on this like you probably do.
and i'd like 2 thank everperson who has liked the movie, to me those people are true fans. and to those who thought it was horrible, well, if find your sense of reasoning dull. Its only a matter of f***ing opinion. so shut the f*** up you haters and let the true fans enjoy the freacking movie. a****les. appreciate the sh*t u can get mo****fu**ers, if u dont like it make a movie yourselves.
Whoa....you're grossly over-reacting to my comment that you typed horribly.

And, I've a life too...I go out, I do stuff with my friends, I goto parties...I, for the most part, keep a civil tongue, my post is one of maybe 3 or 4 times when I've cursed on this board...in 1000 posts...You did that 8 times in 10 posts...

Also, why can you not accept the fact that people think differently. You yourself said that it's a matter of opinion. You think, assuming you think, a true fan is someone who loved Peter Jackson's the Fellowship of the Ring... To me, MY OPINION, a true fan is someone who dislikes the movie because so much of it is changed. I mean, you are completely and totally ignoring your own words...

EDIT: P.S. If you do that again, I will get really nasty...

H

hraerek

(thud) sound of one falling off their high horse

Hello forum,
I have been reading for a while and I now feel moved to interject. I have been an active tolkien fan for over 25 years. I am not saying this to brag but to point out that I am not some newbie bandwagon jumper (Incidentally, I am perfectly happy with newbie's jumping on the bandwagon...I love converting people to Tolkienism) First and formost...If you went to see the Lord of the Rings at the movie theatre and expected it to follow the book then you are already daft. Unfortunately, in the real world if it doesn't make money it won't be done. I was happy the director filmed all three movies first. This way, regardless if the movie flops, I will get to see it all. As a tolkien fan I would still collect it when it comes out (I own the kiddie animated one,s and even Ralph's one...I still wish he would finish his series because I hate to see things left undone) I dragged my wife to the theatre to see it with me last night. She never read the books (yes, and I still married her) and she doesn't intend to ever read them. She loved the movie but complained it was two long (I did feel it was too short... I was hoping for the 30 hour movie). I thought the movie was AWESOME. Like Braveheart in middle earth (sort of...kinda..in a wierd kind of way). Every storyteller retells a story in a slightly different way, and that's OK. Would you go to a concert and hope to hear your favorite band play your favorite song EXACTLY like it is on the record? If you do then you miss the point. Yes, it could suck, but it could also be something more...don't be afraid of change, be happy and thankful someone made the movies at all (I was getting tired of waiting) and completed the circle. Geez, I didn't realize I was going on so long...Bye...Hraerek

Thorin

LOTR Purist to the end
Reaction score
quote:
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by Rasta_lotrlover
first of all mike, youre telling me not to do typos, well, suck my c***, because i have a life and i dont want 2 spend my entire day on this like you probably do.
and i'd like 2 thank everperson who has liked the movie, to me those people are true fans. and to those who thought it was horrible, well, if find your sense of reasoning dull. Its only a matter of f***ing opinion. so shut the f*** up you haters and let the true fans enjoy the freacking movie. a****les. appreciate the sh*t u can get mo****fu**ers, if u dont like it make a movie yourselves.
------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey, there potty mouth! Smile! You've been reported! Nevermind the cesspool of filth spouting from your diseased mouth, but your lack of Tolkien allegiance alone warrants you to be kicked off of the true Tolkien fan website to a PJ butt-kissing website where you belong!

A true fan of LotR will put Tolkien's genius in the forefront of any attempt, whether Bakshi or Jackson. What audacity to come on here and claim that those who like the movie are "true fans". Where were you before this movie came out? The real true fans don't need Jackson's rendition to spur us to come on Tolkien websites and let our mouths move faster than our minds.

"True fans"...Please, give me a break buddy. You know Tolkien as well as Jackson....Go away, potty mouth. Your foolish and offensive opinions are not wanted here.

Beorn

In the shadows
Staff member
Reaction score
Re: Spirits revealed

Hey Hraerek...welcome...

Originally posted by Shanoncia
All of thee hath revealed a great deal thy true self in thy scathing reviews. Needless to say surely thou would be corrupted if thou were tempted only once by the one ring. Ignorant people cast blame, yet the wise will seek solutions. My celtic agression sees through thy layers of anger and into an empty soul, a void, which harbours not even a lack. Who are you to say great works are garbage ? Was it thee who who dedicated 2 years of labour and an immortality of passion into this project. NAY, 'twas not. Cowardly fool, thou will meet thy own ends soon enough I suppose. How couldst thou expect a mythical, fantastical land created in the abstract mind of a genious to be perfectly portrayed in 3 hours time? Thou art lacking love. Thou art lacking music in thy soul. Cursed be thy forked tongue which so cunningly spouts fire in the dark, yet coats itself in honey during day. 'Tis to late for thou. You cannot pass.
Strange words are they that come from thy hands, or thy mouth. Of your tongue, I shall attempt to speak, for a challenge. I agree that corruption wouldst come from such terror as the One Ring. Ignorant I am not, nor wise am I.
Is it surely that you claim my soul a void, which harbors not even a lack? I say not that great works are of rubbish, but that Jackson has not created a great work as he said he should. He claimed that thy movie wouldst be of the work of Tolkien, 'twas not. He created a work claiming to be that of Tolkien, but in a different medium, but he didst not follow through on thy task, rather copied thy literature, and changed thy contents, and claimed to be the same.
Cowardly fool am I, to come hence? I say to thee the same, as it appears thou came hence to insinuate that I am not as high as you are.
I didst not expect a mystical, fantastical land that thou speak of, that Tolkien wrote, nor a land which was similar, but a tale of our beloved fellowship. 'Twas a tale of a fellowship, but 'twas not thy tale I didst expect to view.
Love I do not lack. I love thy works of Tolkien that I've read, but not thine one I've seen of Jackson.
My tongue be cursed? Dost thou have thine power to do this unto myself? Prior to thy insults, thou should have considered my side, for I love Tolkien's work, and I wouldst have loved to see it brought to thy screen, but I did not

You're good at Olde Englsih...I struggled through that...

Evenstar

Reaction score
Hey Mike- i just wanted to say that I agree with you 100%. I had a rather long rant myself and wont repeat it. Just wanted to say I AGREE!!!

rast_lotrlover

Reaction score
thorin, thorin,thorin, you said the b-word. and no, im not a PJ b-kisser, im just defending the movie because its good. i mean, sure many things r wrong with it, but youre getting me kicked off this because you say i dont like tolkien enough? ive been reading tolkine since i was 5! but you, you hate the movie, because its not exactly like the book, but, its still tolkien(partly, well, its a kind of copy, its based on it) and since its based on it, that means it kickes A-word! so go F-word yourself, please, and stand in the light, because the darkness youre swimming in will get you f-worded.

rast_lotrlover

Reaction score
hraerekm i'd like to tell you that you kick-a-word.
and b4 thorin gets me kicked off, i'd like 2 say bye 2 every1, good job at being fans, except for thorin, youre the weirdest kind of fan ive ever know(because youll get another fan banned because of stuff he said), but since youre still a fan i respect you. but anyways, bye bye :p se yall l8er;)

***Moderator's Note: If anyone gets kicked off of the Forum for what they have said it will be because of what they said, not because anyone happened to point it out to a Moderator. ReadWryt***

Aerin

Halfway out the door
Reaction score
I agree totally with Mike!
How dare you say to us that we are not fans of J.R.R. Tolkien's masterpiece! There are people on this forum who know so much about his works, it's astounding. I do not know nearly as much as some of the "senior members" on the forum, but I know enough to know how off PJ's interpretation was. Reading the books, there is so much symbolism and lineage and history behind everything. InN the movie, it didn't even begin to touch on that.
Oh, BTW, Rasta_lover....I type at over 50 WPM. I don't spend all day typing a post on here. I do type well enough that those who read my posts can understand and comprehend what I'm saying, instead of puzzling out some vague meaning out of a string of profanities.

rast_lotrlover

Reaction score
well, aerin, if you dislike the movie simply cuz it aint deep enough, well i suggest you get some help, if you expected the movie to be 100% pure, then youre dreaming. and just because you have a better education than i do, and you have an english degree in university and u type faster than i, doesntmean anything. i still think you shouldnt diss someone becuase they cant type well, cuz u dont know the story, maybe i have 6 fingers, maybe i onylhave 1 arm, so dont say anything about dissing my typing.

Ness

Cleptochild
Reaction score
Now dont get me wrong, as a movie, and nothing more, it was THE BEST movie i have ever seen, but if we are looking at accuracy, then im with mike, Jackson did take out three of tolkiens apples, and replaced it with three of his own, but thats ok, (i've kinda gotten over my dissapointment) just watch the movie 4 what its worth, you cant change anything by ranting and raving were Jackson isn't going to here you MIKE. if you really want to let him know how you feel, then write him a letter, send him an email, do something...and im sure you already have. well, have a nice night.

Aerin

Halfway out the door
Reaction score
Rasta, you read my post incorrectly. I do not have a degree from a university (I'm still in high school), and I was not critizing your typing. I do not care for profanities, and I was simply expressing my feelings. I did not expect the movie to be 100% true to LOTR, but I was rather saddened to how big Arwen's part was. I will say this, though, I loved the movie for the action/adventure it was. I just can't say that it was wholly LOTR.

Beorn

In the shadows
Staff member
Reaction score
No, I've not sent him anything; it would never get through...he's probably getting plenty of mail as it is, some of which more serious than my rant...

And, I wasn't making fun of your typing ability. I was saying, again I repeat, that you cannot type well.

Shanoncia

Reaction score
May it be - peaceful

Perhaps we should all come to the agreement, putting all LOTR accuracy aside the movie was great and being fans of mythology, fantasy and other such things we should enjoy the experiance.... elves.... dwarves.... swords.... very nice decaputation in the end .... bows and singing arrows.... trolls.... MAGIC ! :D It may not have been accurate, but oh well, that's what the books are for !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thread suggestions