🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

My God, It Was Horrible!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beorn

In the shadows
Staff member
Reaction score
Right...I'll ignore that for now...reply later....Elendil...it was to markrob...you posted your response before I was done writing mine...

Tuor

Nobody important
Reaction score
Some things: Legolas does not wear boots in the movie. he wears shoes and leather greaves.

The Balrog did indeed have wings. it also had the wrong kind of whip.

there where too many people at the council.

Barliman Butterbur isn't funny anymore.

there are no songs.

the whole atmosphere of Bree is too oppressive.

but for all this, and many other things, I was still able to enjoy the movie, because i viewed it as exactly that. a MOVIE. i mean, I went to the theater EXPECTING a mangled version. it's not true to the books, and i was infuriated about Arwen, but i was still able to enjoy it. chill out.

that cave-troll looked like Shrek.

Last edited by a moderator:
R

ReadWryt

I've said it elsewhere on the Forum, but I'll say it here as well. If one wanted to make a fantasy film about Wizard Duels, Brave horse riding Elven Witches who are as fearless as they are beautifull, little mischievous irish people who commit petty theft on their neighbors, conversations with Moths, Orcs named Lurtz and a geography that is conciderably smaller then Middle-earth then one SHOULD have written such a tale from scratch instead of shredding the characters, title and good name of an author who worked so hard, wrote so much and has been so well documented as Tolkien.

Beorn

In the shadows
Staff member
Reaction score
Re: OMG!

Originally posted by Foe-Hammer
This entire thread is a joke! You NPWG members need to get a life. Open the door, step outside. There are no dragons or wizards (except Bball), hobbits or elves, Orcs or dwarves. It is a book! Pure fantasy!
I'd bet a million dollars that tolkien would be more ashamed of you than the interpretation of his book.

He knew the difference between reality and fantasy.
No, it is not a joke. It started as my way of showing how I felt about the travesty, and I can assure you that it was not a joke. Again, I say, for I do not know whether you've accepted this in the past day (I'm not done reading posts from 12-21-01), that the Nit-Picking Weenie Guild is a JOKE. Open the door, and step outside, do you say? Why don't you open the door and realize how much was changed in the movie? Why don't you open the door and realize that the movie was not anywhere close to as horrible as PJ said it would be.

Courtney

Master of the Lore
Reaction score
It was not a good movie even for those who had never read the books. One of my friends who went with me fell asleep in the middle of the movie.
I personally kept checking my watch to see how long until the agony would end. Unfortunately, my sleeping friend had driven, so I couldn't leave til the movie was over.

Shanoncia

Reaction score
tsk tsk

Sounds to me Courtney like you are one of those ' impossible to please' people. If yu could not even catch one moment of excitement from the movie than perhaps your brain is numb. ;)

Courtney

Master of the Lore
Reaction score
I am not impossible to please, but the movie could have been a little bit exciting considering it is about saving the world. "Oh no the world is going to end....yawn...i think i'll go back to sleep..."

Shanoncia

Reaction score
Isn't what you really mean, why are you rude when we are the only ones allowed to be? If she can diss PJ why oh why can't I diss her? Both are humans, none is no better than the other. Now let me ask you another question, why can't you calm down? I'm only teasing. Do you actually think that if I was serious I'd put one of those stupid smily face icons in? Is it you who wants attention by tryying to sound like a hero when no one needs to be saved? ha ! That is what I thought ! I suppose the grey in gerymantel tells not the colour of your beard for certainly you have much growing to do.

Courtney

Master of the Lore
Reaction score
I did not mean to make anyone angry. Lets all sit back from the computers for a moment, have a nice cup of tea and enjoy the wonderful Tolkien Forum. Let's all be friends.... Oh, and Merry Christmas!!!

Shanoncia

Reaction score
Merry Christmas

Don't worry Courtney. I am not mad at all. As some of you have seen already, I like to argue. It's... I don't know... a challenge? Hmm... Maybe I should be a lawyer or something. :rolleyes: I find that friendly arguements strengthen your mental capabilities in all aspects of possible applications. Forems are great places to debate about your own opinions. You shouldn't be affraid to stand up and fight like a lion for what you believe in. Life isn't about giving in, it's about knowing when your wrong and you need to change your course. Never give in ! The road goes ever on and on.....

Ciryaher

Witch of Resurrection
Reaction score
And here's my 2 cents worth *clinking noise*

I thought the movie was fabulous...as a movie. Great action, humour, and a good fright now and again. The Balrog was great IMHO. Out of a possible 5 for the movie itself, I give it 5.

Now for the changes. A lot of the changes I found to be acceptable for time and simplicity's sake, but a rare few hit angry nerves. The "Arwen Fiasco" (as I like to call it) was the one that stood out the most. For storyline accuracy, I give the movie a respectable 3.5.

Valinorean

Reaction score
Re: Merry Christmas

Originally posted by Shanoncia
Forems are great places to debate about your own opinions. You shouldn't be affraid to stand up and fight like a lion for what you believe in. Life isn't about giving in, it's about knowing when your wrong and you need to change your course. Never give in ! The road goes ever on and on.....
Whether one is a fan of the movie or not, I have a hard time believing it is worth "fighting like a lion for." (Pardon the dangling participle)

We all know that the books are classic works -- the original fantasy literature. I don't think the movie is EVER going to be considered a classic.

I can't even imagine it becoming a CULT classic.

But by all means, fight like a lion. Never give in. Get on that road and go on and on . . .

chrome_rocknave

Frodo Lives!
Reaction score
I loved the movie but I have to keep in mind that this is PJ's version. I am dissappointed in all of the changes that were not needed. But, if I repeat to myself that this is what PJ sees when he reads the books... and thats not my Frodo but HIS Frodo and thats not my Legolas but HIS Legolas...then all is well :D

Also, I see nothing wrong with "dissing" the movie although I think it is more of critiquing and examining certain aspects that were not true to the book.

shadowfax54

Reaction score
loved movie!

I've read the books about a dozen times in the last 30 years, usually with a Jethro Tull background soundtrack.

I could not believe how well the movie captured the beauty of the Shire, the fear inspired by the ring-wraiths, the breadth of Gandalf's personality, and the scope of the battles. I had complaints, but they were so small in comparison with the love I had for the movie. I think that his preview described the history and was an exciting start to the movie. I actually liked the strand that explained Orthanc. The scene with Bilbo being tempted by the ring in Rivendale was worth the price of admission. (I got the twilight costs.) I would have preferred that he remain truer to the book when Frodo left, but overall this is one of the best movies I've ever viewed. Also the horse race scene was a little too much like star wars.

Please continue to tell everyone that it's terrible and maybe they will have to show the second one next summer instead of December to recoup losses.

I give the movie a 10 out of 10 as a movie. As an adaption of my favorite series of books, I give it 8.5 out of 10.

Harad

This movie got rave reviews from every professional reviewer that I have read. I refrained from reading any of them before watching the movie. Every person I know that watched the movie, both those that read the books, and those that didn't, loved the movie.

I am a real person, saying my real opinion. I have been on the internet for about 3 years, and I have seen message-board provacateures (sp?). Some of the people that are vilifying LOTR, are doing it to get our goat, are you one of those?

Last edited by a moderator:

Arwen

Reaction score

It's your own opinion of you dont like the film...but i must say that you are part of a very small group of people who hate it becuase every single person i have heard/spoken/seen about the movie absolutly loved it, every session of the film is full of cheering and clapping at the cinema i went too.

M

mbarlo

I enjoyed reading through this thread again and was pleased most contributors seem to have enjoyed the movie.

For me it's without doubt the movie of the year. I can't imagine anything coming close until this time next year. The only competition for "must see" in 2002 has to be Episode 2 - Attack of the Clones.

Considering JJR said he doubted it could be made into a film (Bakshi nearly proved him right) its a great effort. Maybe in another 10 years someone else will try. But for all it's variations from the book its still a great film.

L

loser093

Originally posted by Mithrandir
OK. I have seen the Movie and read some very ligit views from many of you. This is what I feel about the whole thing:

As a Movie it was phenomonal. As a Movie. If you want to look @ it as a portrayal as J.R.R.Tolkien's Lord of the Ring's than you are going to be greatly disapointed. It is not Tolkien's it is Peter Jackson's. As a director he has the right to make these changes, but I would rather he would just come out and say it. It is like I have said to many of my friends, if I had never read the books and saw the movie than would think it was one of the best movies of all time, which in reality it was.
I thought that the begining sequences of the history of the ring were portrayed beautifully and suprisingly accurate. The biggest thing that disapointed me was HOW MUCH was taken out and added in. I remember thinking, how in the world are they going to make this 3 hours long, they are already half way through.
The lack of content from the book was a huge disapointement for me, and it really ruined my first expierence of the movie.
I would like to just look at this movie as a great action movie and nothing else, because that is what it is.

Now all this is not to say that there were good things about the movie, because there were, linguistics was accurate, a lot of the same lines from the book were in there, and the special effects were phenominal. I hope that we can at least see some of the good things as well and try to enjoy the film.

~Mithers
THANK YOU for your fair take on the movie!
everyone else in here is so "it was horrible"/ "it was wonderful"
and can't look at it any other way
open your minds a little...
or don't...doesn't matter...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thread suggestions