🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

MY HARD QUESTION #1: Were the Nazgul wearing their Rings or not?

Úlairi

Crying in the Wilderness
Reaction score
:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: I have three great questions that I would love to be answered, this is the first. I read the chapter 'The Council of Elrond' for about the twentieth time today and I found two of my great questions from there and the third had been on my mind for a little while! My first question is: Were the Nazgul wearing the Nine Rings, even though I only read 'The Council of Elrond' today, I seem to remember that it saud that they did, however I have heard from many that Sauron kept them in Barad-dur! Please, I would love these hard questions to be answered!:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

daisy

Reaction score
As far as I remember, Sauron kept the rings and therefore was able to control the nine.:)

Grond

Morgoth's Mace
Reaction score
From The Letters of J. R. R. Tolkien,Letter 246 to Mrs Eileen Elgar, September 1965, Tolkien writes,

"...laid upon them by Sauron, who still through their nine rings (which he held) had primary control of their wills..."

Bill the Pony

Reaction score
Tough question. Quotes in LOTR seem to be ambiguous/contradictory:

Gandalf in a shadow from the past
So it is now: the Nine he has gathered to himself; the Seven also, or else they are destroyed. The Three are hidden still.
But the same Gandalf in the Council of Elrond
What then? The Nine the Nazgul keep. The Seven are taken or destroyed
Other mentionings (haven't checked HOME, anyone know any mentionings there?)
UT (Part III chapter IV, the hunt for the ring)
At length therefore he resolved to use the Ringwraiths. He had been reluctant to do so, until he knew precisely where the Ring was, for several reasons. They were by far the most powerful of his servants, and the most suitable for such a mission, since they were entirely enslaved to their Nine Rings, which he now himself held; they were quite incapable of acting against his will, and if one of them, even the Witch-king their captain, had seized the One Ring, he would have brought it back to his Master
Letter # 246
they would have obeyed or feigned to obey any minor commands of his that did not interfere with their errand – laid upon them by Sauron, who still through their nine rings (which he held) had primary control of their wills.
So I guess I'll go for Sauron holding them.
1. But that brings two new problems: could he have given them to 9 more men, wait for those to become wraiths too, and then have 18 powerful servants?
2. Was there a Ring of Power lying on the battlefield after the Witch King was slain, ready to be picked up by whoever found it?

ai Grond beat me with his quote from letters.

daisy

Reaction score
He always upstages me...you know, I can take you back to Home Depot anytime Hammerboy...;)

daisy

Reaction score
Oh my Gosh even a Pony makes me look like an amateur - hey there has to be something said for short and simple.:)

And I was right too - I just didn't take a million years to type my correct answer!:p

H

Harad

Nazgul to Sauron: "Daddy, can I wear the Ring tonight?"

Sauron: "No. Youve been bad. You acted like a Keystone Kop chasing those Hobbits from the Shire to Rivendell."

Nazgul: "That's because you didnt give us our Rings. We're just shadows of ourselves without them. They are 'Rings of Power,' arent they? Where's the 'Power' if YOU keep them, Dad?"

Sauron: "Just for that, go to your Tower and stay there until the War starts. No flying either. You are grounded."

Wood Elf

Reaction score
hehe, LoL Harad! <Nazgul hangs his head as he shuffles to his tower chamber to sulk>

Thread suggestions