My own theory on what Tom Bombadil and Goldberry are

Discussion in 'The Hall of Fire' started by Pat, Jul 13, 2019 at 5:05 PM.

1. Pat

Pat New Member

Tom Bombadil and Goldberry are the most enigmatic beings in all of Middle Earth and seem to be locked outside the eternal conflict of good and evil. When Tom saved Frodo, Sam, Merry and Pippin from Old Man Willow he was able to wear the One Ring without being corrupted or turning invisible. Tom seems to control all aspects of the Old Forest through magical song. He also managed to cast away the Barrow-wights when they hobbits left the Barrow-downs to Bree. Many people have theorized what exactly Tom is. Everything from him being a Maia, being Eru in human form or being a physical embodiment of the Music of the Ainur, being an anti-Ungoliant who was a physical embodiment of the Void. However, I have my own interpretation that I would like to put forward my own idea. My own view is that Tom Bombadil and Goldberry are two Ainur who did not participate in the Music of the Ainur. Since they didn't participate in the battles of song that led to the division of those who supported Eru and those who supported Melkor, they do not exist within the dualistic moral framework of Arda. However, since they do inhabit the world and descended down I would say that they are tied to the fate of the world, but now a part of its struggle. Anybody else have any different interpretations?

rollinstoned and Miguel like this.
  2. Belthil

Belthil Active Member

Wow that is one on going discussion everywere... :)

'Conclusion'

There is only one answer to the riddle of Tom Bombadil: that there is no answer. Though we've presented some of the evidence here, this article does no more than dip beneath the surface. It seems, though, that Tom's nature is ultimately undiscoverable, and this is surely a good thing.

Part of the wonder of Tolkien's world is its depth and detail, but it needs its mysteries and unknowns too: if we knew everything about the World of Arda and its inhabitants, there would be no joy of exploration and discovery. If nothing else, Tom Bombadil stands proudly as a symbol of the mysterious, and we should be glad that he does."

(Source: The Encyclopedia of Arda, whole article: http://www.glyphweb.com/arda/t/tombombadil.html

Other essay's:

http://tolkien.slimy.com/essays/Bombadil.html

https://itservices.cas.unt.edu/~hargrove/bombadil.html

I am sure there are more, I think the bottom line is...: we will never know... unless there are some undiscovered writings of Tolkien explaining this matter...

Merroe, Miguel and Pat like this.
  3. Pat

Pat New Member

That's another reason I love Tolkien, it's all the mystery

rollinstoned, Belthil and Miguel like this.
  4. Miguel

Miguel Active Member

I think Tom is just Tom.

Pat and Belthil like this.
  5. Belthil

Belthil Active Member

if it were only that simple... :)

Miguel likes this.
  6. Miguel

Miguel Active Member

True. I used to think Tom was the Witch-King, then a honey badger, etc.

Belthil likes this.