🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

Name Pronounciations

Tao

Shôgun
Reaction score
So, how does everyone pronounce names in LOTR...?

I pronounce Théoden Th-yo-den, and Éomer and Eoywyn with the 'y' sound also, but how do you guys pronounce names. It really doesn't matter, it's just a matter of opinion.

Lantarion

no house
Reaction score
Actually that's 'Ilúvatar', and I think it should be prnounced 'Ill-oova-tar'.
The accents on the vowels indicate a stressed sound. SO in Théoden his name would be pronounced 'thee-odn', with a soft 'th' (like in 'think') and a slight 'e'-sound in '-dn'.
And I think in all the names with a 'y' in them, the 'y' is pronounced like a 'ü'. So Éowyn would be pronounced 'ee-o-wyn', but not 'ee' as in 'eel'; rather like the word 'air' with a British accent.
And the 'o' isn't like the word 'oh', but a short, abrupt sound.
Heh, hope I helped. :D

PS: And 'Ainur' is pronounced 'I-nur', not 'Ay-nyur'.

Bill the Pony

Reaction score
Recently I got the audio version of LOTR (read by Rob Inglis) and the Silmarillion (read by Martin Shaw). Does anyone know if all the names are pronounced correctly in these productions? Thanks.

Tao

Shôgun
Reaction score
No...no...no, I don't think so.

é and É are pronounced with a Y sound like Yo...it's the way it's pronounced

Eldanor

Reaction score
hahahaha me and people that speak spanish are very lucky in these cases.
The elvish languages' pronounciation and the spanish pronounciation are almost the same, except for the C (always the K value, even before E and I => Celebrian=Kelebrian). The quenya is specially good in this way, because each letter has ONLY one sound (with one or two exceptions), not like English, that has lots of different sounds.

Cian

sylvan madman
Reaction score
Théoden, Éowyn are Old English. In the RotK Appendices anyway, Tolkien wrote regarding Personal and Place-names of Rohan:
'... éa and éo are diphthongs, which may be represented by the ea of English bear, and the eo of Theobald; ...'

Last edited:

Lantarion

no house
Reaction score
You must remember the accent on the 'a': Eärendil. Eär-en-dil. The 'ä' is pronounced like the 'a' in 'apple'.

Cian

sylvan madman
Reaction score
Ponti, the diacritic (here a diaeresis) is to show that with the combination ea, the vowels are to be pronounced clearly separate. It's not a quality marker as far as the vowel a is concerned though. Note ëar "sea".

The vowel a is not distinguished from ä (not as with Finnish orthography).
For Quenya short a, the sound heard in Spanish padre will do.

Last edited:

Cian

sylvan madman
Reaction score
originally posted by Mina Pitcher: celeborn= keleborn! It means 'silver tree' and he is Arwens grandad + Elronds father- in- law!
Also, in Tolkien's latest philological writings, the meaning 'Silver-tree' for Celeborn of Lórien was abandoned. JRRT wrote that the second element was derived from ancient adjectival orná "uprising, tall", rather than from the related tree-word (noun) orné.

Thread suggestions