🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

New activities suggestions

Finduilas

Hope brings Death...
Reaction score
Now, I'd like to ask you, the members of the Guild, if you would agree if I open a thread dedicated to letter writing.
Here are some more details:

The thread will be NOT about Tolkien's letters but about our own work. There will be a topic set (for example, The War in The Third Age when Sauron tries to get every single people in the ME on his side) and we will write letters on that topic. To clear this up, here: If we take the topic with Sauron, then one will start the letter-writing with a letter by Sauron to, let's say, Sauron calling him to order but with nice diplomatic words. In other words, one will write a diplomatic letter by Sauron to A Lord of Any Realm in ME. Then a second person will answer his letter with the decision he has taken...and so on and so on. Thus a whole war will be made but mostly a diplomatic one.

Well, this is the initial idea as I see it. It came to my mind while I was reading a book by Umberto Eko - Baudolino. There the main character makes up stories and later they become true.

Opinions?

Manveru

(former)blue angel of GoT
Reaction score
Sounds like fun... and a lot of creative work!

(though I never liked writing letters, but, as I said once, TTF boards made all my bad habits to go away... well, maybe not all;))

Khôr’nagan

Ar-Zigûrlôkhî
Reaction score
I agree. It does sound like it will be quite a lot of fun, especially if we can be sarcastic :rolleyes: (at times)... But anyway, I could (and probably will) have a lot of fun making death threats and the like, then sending them about. Yes, this is going to be very fun... hehehe... But unfortunately, it is 4:43 AM here, and I'm going to my first day of Sophomore year of Highschool in 3 hours, so I've got to get ready... but hey, why not a little:

(This is something I said to someone when they told me that Tom Bombadil and the Scouring of the Shire were the two worst things that Tolkien ever did.)

Manen veryalye? Uvanimo! Uvanimo! Na epesselye sauran! Nar le more nat! Tyarlye nyere! Heca, saura nat!

I'm not sure if it's totally right, but it's something...

Finduilas

Hope brings Death...
Reaction score
:)
I'm happy you like the idea.
Anyway, any suggestions for the first topic?

Oh, and, Khôr’nagan, what does that mean?...Suppose it's not something nice...:rolleyes:

Eriol

Estel
Reaction score
I like it very much too. It could be expanded to non-warlike issues, right?

I can think of many imaginary letter instances. Gandalf to Bombadil; Sauron to Celebrimbor; Ar-PharazĂ´n to Sauron; Sauron to the Witch-King (before he got his Ring); and these are the most sensible.

What about FĂ«anor to Morgoth demanding the Silmarils? Beren to Morgoth, for the same reason, trying to move Morgoth's heart by talking about his love?

The possibilities are endless :D.

Finduilas

Hope brings Death...
Reaction score
Yes, there are many possibilities...but why don't we start with something more lighthearted, for example, a letter writing between Beren and Luthien, Aragorn and Arwen, or...well, love letters which would consist of war information too...:eek:
Don't know, I'm kinda romantic...:eek:
But your suggestions were very nice.

Eriol

Estel
Reaction score
I'm all for lighthearted and romantic :)

But your opening post suggested (to me) that you wanted "diplomatic" letters. I much prefer romantic ones, myself :).

Manveru

Reaction score
Originally posted by Finduilas:
Don't know, I'm kinda romantic...:eek:
Originally posted by Eriol:
I'm all for lighthearted and romantic :)
What's this? A spring-time frenzy?;)
Just kidding:D

So what will be the first 'topic' for this "letters-typing-thing"? Who is going to start? And when? Oh! And where? In this thread?

Khôr’nagan

Ar-Zigûrlôkhî
Reaction score
"How could you? Monster! Monster! Your nickname is foul-one! You are a black thing! You cause sorrow! Begone, foul thing!"

And I also have Gaakh matlatuk!, which is Black Speech for, "May you all die!" Or, you could just say Gaakh matlat!, which means "May you die!"

But, back to what's at hand... I Think I could suffice in a romantic-based letter, but it would be much easier just to make up death threats... But, we can get to that later! (Giving me time to make a bunch to use when the time comes... mwaahaahahaa!) Oh, and by the way... "I love you" (in Sindarin) is mélon le, isn't it? (I'm not sure, and I'd better be if we're doing romantic stuff). Also, could someone who knows Sindarin take a look at this?

Gweston na nín faer mélon le a nobôr le an uir.

It's suposed to be: "I swear by my soul to love you and be faithful to you for eternity."

Is it right?

Lhunithiliel

FĂ«anorean
Reaction score
How about Sauron writing to a King of Men seducing him with the Ring?

And Findi, let's start this thing going! :)

YOU pick the name and open it in this sub-forum.
All right?

I am also looking for people who would be perhaps interested to continue the "What if?" - game..........:confused: :rolleyes: :(

drjekil_bg

STORY-TELLER
Reaction score
i like your idea Finduilas(i dont know what i dont like in you) but i didnt undestand were should i begin to write the letters.
btw Lhun please give me a link about this "Why if.." game because i cant find it.10x anyway

drjekil_bg

STORY-TELLER
Reaction score
i just got a new idea but i am not sure if its new or it have already been such an idea but any way.I thought why dont we start writing something like short stories that can be included somewhere in the Tolkien' s works.With other words to make an extended version of The Lord of the Rings for example

Opinions?

Lhunithiliel

FĂ«anorean
Reaction score
drjekil_bg, here is where you can read the "What if?" - game . :)
I am so sad when I see it so quiet and not being developed nowadays.... :(
But .... let's speak about the new activities.

Lately in this section of the Guild - the "artistic" one :cool: - there have been a couple of nice new ideas offered, discussed and practically supported by the members of the guild.
So... WHY haven't the initiators of these projects done any step towards implementing them?

I would like to congratulate drjekil_bg for his "Unfinished Tales". It's fun and I think this thread can give a great opportunity to every one who feels like writing short stories.

Then....we are awaiting for the "Letters"- activity to start. The idea received such a great welcome. Findi?

Mrs.Maggot has almost completely abandoned us :( .....but I remember she had a great idea too. BTW, drjekil_bg, her suggestion seems to be very close to what seem to be your new one! ;) :)

So........... You see........... There are opportunities to let free our imagination !

Let's do it! :)

drjekil_bg

STORY-TELLER
Reaction score
!0x for the link.I have just posted my question.It look verry interesting to me.So should i start i a new thread about my idea or wait a bit to see if someone is interested

drjekil_bg

STORY-TELLER
Reaction score
Well believe me or not but this is the truth.I believe in true love and i know that my love is pure and clean.Like or not?This is your choice

Gil-Galad

in love
Reaction score
Originally posted by drjekil_bg
Well believe me or not but this is the truth.I believe in true love and i know that my love is pure and clean.Like or not?This is your choice
It's different,man...........

ne stava duma za men a za neq,vse pak e neino reshenie,a dokolkoto znam tq e kategorichna po vuprosa.Druj se kato muj,sled kato se opita da promenish nestata i ne moja,priemi reshenieto i!Druj se kato muj i q ostavi,nai-dobroto e da zapazish liubovta si kato dobur spomen,ne nahalstvai,che prosto e grozno,i lazish po nervite ne samo na neq no i na men.

:mad: :mad: :mad:
Peace.

I want to appologize for the Bulgarian language,but we had to have a little cultural conversation.Sorry once again.:(

Manveru

Reaction score
No need to apologise, G-G.
I guess I know what your 'conversation' was about... (although I'm not advanced in Bulgarian--actually I don't even understand a single word;))

You seemed a little 'tense', big bro...;):D (which is a good sign... believe me).

Was my "guess" a right one, I wonder?

Gil-Galad

in love
Reaction score
Originally posted by Manveru
No need to apologise, G-G.
I guess I know what your 'conversation' was about... (although I'm not advanced in Bulgarian--actually I don't even understand a single word;))

You seemed a little 'tense', big bro...;):D (which is a good sign... believe me).

Was my "guess" a right one, I wonder?
A good sign?I'm not sure whether it was good sign or not,but I had to tell our young friend drjekil_bg some things.
But I almost lost my face .........
Once again I appologiza for this the Bulgarian language.

hey,Manveru, how did you guess,pm me if you want!

Thread suggestions