🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

New activities suggestions

Finduilas

Hope brings Death...
Reaction score
:D:D:D.........muhahaha I'm Saddam you know..;)

Anyway, the new one's great...but plastic:rolleyes: !
Too bad for it...:rolleyes:

drjekil_bg

STORY-TELLER
Reaction score
well i just saw this game in another forum i am a member i decided to give you the idea and you decided if we are going to play it.So i change the rules a bit its pretty much the same.

So i start with a word for example "staff" and someone write another word from the Tolkien world that he thinks is connected with the word i wrote.

for example the other one write "Gandalf"

Any opinions

Gil-Galad

in love
Reaction score
Hmm I think that this "game" is too simple.I mean Tolkien's vocabulary is really enormous and it is easy to find a respond to the first given word.
I think we have something similar in TTF,though it is more complicated and it is called "Quotable Quotes".
If there are members who like your idea,please feel welcome to start it :)

Finduilas

Hope brings Death...
Reaction score
The idea is good.:)
What's more, it will give us the chance to dive deeper in the vocabulary world of Tolkien! :)
But I think we should make it a bit more complicated...;) muhaha:D
Here is what I offer:

1. We provide a quote and say which is the word we would like to discuss.

2. Someone says which word he associates it to and posts a quote where we can see the relevance.

3. Others post thier suggestions too and we decide whether they are relevant too.:)

4. One word is discussed for let's say a couple of days...3-4? What do you say?

5. Additional task would be if one can provide the history of the word...Lant?;)

Well, this is what I offer, what do you say?
If you agree, drjekil can start it.

Manveru

(former)blue angel of GoT
Reaction score
Originally posted by Gil-Galad
Hmm I think that this "game" is too simple.I mean Tolkien's vocabulary is really enormous and it is easy to find a respond to the first given word.
I think we have something similar in TTF,though it is more complicated and it is called "Quotable Quotes".
If there are members who like your idea,please feel welcome to start it :)
Why are you so 'grumpy', Kingy?
If it's "too simple" it will become boring fast, but... it can be a fine doze of 'fun' just for a little while... there's nothing really happening in the Guild nowadays... let's play...
Open a thread, dr.:D
Originally posted by Eledhwen:
It might be a good game for younger forum members, and to improve English vocabulary for those EFLs who feel their English lets them down on longer posts.
Yeah... my "vocabulary pool" is so... 'shallow';)

:D

drjekil_bg

STORY-TELLER
Reaction score
i am happy that people responded to my idea.so i will open the thread now and the rules are going to be one that Findi decided.

Lhunithiliel

Fëanorean
Reaction score
Here I am.

My idea for the coming Greatest Holiday of the year:

I'll open a thread where everyone may post her/his X-mas gift to the Guild and its members.
It can be whatever - a picture/drawing, a poem, a story.... or just something you'd like to tell the others :)

Meet you there! :)

LOL...I seem to have started acting like the White Rabbit ;) :DBut..

You are most welcome to post your ideas here! :)

C

celebdraug

Well......... Here's a deal.... Let's all go to the Glittering Caves to that thread about new ideas and let's post there our ideas of how the GoT is going to celebrate X-mas. OK?
And a feast maybe?

(I wont be here for 2 weeks from Friday, and i wont be here on X-mas day :( )

Finduilas

Hope brings Death...
Reaction score
Ok, Christmas is over, ladies and gentlemen!:D

Any suggestions? Anyone?

Oh, and, please, don't forget the Talking Tolkien Thread...Please...:(

Lhunithiliel

Fëanorean
Reaction score
I think that there are some activities in these Caves, that need to be brought back to life.
At the moment, as I see it, the Caves are the most 'heavily' populated area within the Halls of Tolkienology, yet only a couple of activities are actually active.
And I am looking at the list of all the others and I'm thinking of how wonderful these are! They just need some attention.

Glittering Lord .... or ... is it the Lord that Glitters ...... or the Lord Angel of the Caves .... :p , anyway, now that you have your 'deputies', why don't you 'send them on a possible mission? Let them stir this place! :)

Manveru

(former)blue angel of GoT
Reaction score
you were thinking of: WIG, essays, filling in the gaps, artwork on the gallery of characters, letters, etc.? you mean i should set peoples' minds on writing poetry (or rhymes), delving deeper with the essays or using correct colours when creating new images of well known heroes? well, i'd love to, but this ring i got from your master (tricky Eye) seems not working... could you... i would very much like to... maybe yours would be fine? could you... lend me it for awhile? j-j-just to-o hold on for a sec... *clear angelic laugh*

all i can do, Lhun, is to make myself to contribute more and wait for my "followers" :)

Sauron

Reaction score
Has anyone made any attempt on trying to continue Tolkien's storyline into the Fourth Age? Like the restoration of Minas Ithil as a habitable city, and Osgiliath as the capital of Gondor? Or perhaps various wars between Gondor and the Easterlings? Or maybe the story of how exactly Durin's Folk came to reclaim Moria? There are a wealth of possibilities here, and I am surprised not more people have acted upon them.

Illuin

Fire On The Mountain
Reaction score
from Sauron
"Has anyone made any attempt on trying to continue Tolkien's storyline into the Fourth Age?"

Even the end of the Fourth Age. I think attempting (in a very conscientous, comprehensive way) the “Dagor Dagorath” would be great fun, if careful thought and attention went into it. Maybe we can begin where Melko begins subtly manipulating Arien and Tilion toward "their quarrel" - which eventually leads to their doom; thus Melko is able to overcome the “Door of Night”:

"For 'tis said ere the Great end come Melko shall in some wise contrive a quarrel between Moon and Sun, and Ilsinor [Tilion] shall seek to follow Urwendi [Arien] through the Gates, and when they are gone the Gates of both East and West will be destroyed, and Urwendi and Ilsinor shall be lost." Book of Lost Tales 1 [insertions mine].......Of course in this earlier writing; Fionwë (aka Eonwë - a Vala) who loved Urwendi destroys Morgoth; not Turin Turambar.

At any rate, maybe coming up with the details for “Melko shall in some wise contrive a quarrel” would be a good place to start :).

Last edited:

chrysophalax

Dragon of Note
Reaction score
I believe YayGollum has some ideas for Melkor's reappearance. Very interesting plotline, I must say, having read a synopsis he wrote me not long ago. Someone might want to pick his brain about that. I think he'd be up for a collaboration.

Illuin

Fire On The Mountain
Reaction score
Yeah, maybe I’ll do just that. You don’t happen to know where that post is you are referring to do you? I would be interested in reading that. I’ve actually considered writing a full novel for a long time (unpublished of course), but unfortunately; All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy -
All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy -
All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy -
All work and no......just kidding :p; love The Shining

Thread suggestions