🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

Newbie Question-please help =)

D

design guy

I have a question about the hobbit/lotr I read and saw the anima. version of the hobbit as well as the cartoon LOTR. Is the dragon Bilbo kills in the hobbit the evil spirit in LOTR? There are many simmilarities.

Tulidian

Reaction score
I, and probably many other people on this forum, suggest you read LotR books. I suppose this isn't a very bad theory if you have never read the books, but I can tell you that "the evil spirit" assuming you mean Sauron, is definatly not the spirit of the dragon Smaug. Read em, learn em, love em :). And welcome to the forum.

Eogthea

Annunpaur of the West
Reaction score
Good theory, but no. And I thought the necromancer Gandalf expelled from Mirkwood was different from Sauron. Ooh, I must be losing my touch.

Walter

Flamekeeper
Reaction score
Eogthea,
And I thought the necromancer Gandalf expelled from Mirkwood was different from Sauron
This is from Appendix B (The Tale Of Years) in LotR:
"2941 Thorin Oakenshield and Gandalf visit Bilbo in the Shire. Bilbo meets Smeagol-Gollum and finds the Ring. The White Council meets; Saruman agrees to an attack on Dol Guldur, since he now wishes to prevent Sauron from searching the River. Sauron having made his plans abandons Dol Guldur. The Battle of the Five Armies in Dale. Death of Thorin II. Bard of Esgaroth slays Smaug. Dain of the Iron Hills becomes King under the Mountain (Dain II)."

The Necromancer "expelled" from Mirkwood was indeed Sauron, though it seems he left there voluntarily...

Last edited:

Thread suggestions