🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

Newsletter?

Should there be a Newsletter on the TTL?

• Yes

Votes: 3 75.0%
  • No

Votes: 1 25.0%

• Total voters

user16578

Retired
Reaction score
Fellow Tolkinians,

What do you think about a Newsletter by members for members of the TTF?

TTL must be TTF ofcourse...

Olorgando

Reaction score
Fellow Tolkinians,

What do you think about a Newsletter by members for members of the TTF?

TTL must be TTF of course...
Good idea
How would this differ from the Member Announcements?
Just checked my e-mail inbox. The last "The Tolkien Forum Newsletter" e-mail from TTF was sent on 12.09.2019. I received at least one earlier one, it's on a two-week schedule.
12.09.2019 is exactly one day before ArwenStar joined. The next TTFN should go out tomorrow.
It appears to show threads where there have been recent posts.
It has an "Unsubscribe" button at the bottom, which you may have selected at some time in the past, S-eS.
But it is, in one sense, probably not "by members for members" as per user16578's post, as at the bottom is a statement "Sent on behalf of The Tolkien Forum by Threadloom".
Not a member name I can recall ever having seen, so I'd guess a site-internal bot.

Erestor Arcamen

Archivist
Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah, from how I understand how it works, it's an add-on to the forum software. I get an email Saturdays where I choose what threads show up in the newsletter. I mainly choose any threads that deal with discussing Tolkien's work and don't include things like new member posts.

Olorgando

Reaction score
... I get an email Saturdays where I choose what threads show up in the newsletter. ...
Interesting. 12.09., when I received the last e-mail, was a Thursday, and if I remember correctly (I deleted the previous, probably first e-mail) it was exactly two weeks after receiving the previous one.
I am close to unsubscribing the e-mail, as I don't need a reminder to drop by here (I mean, the incomings in my e-mail inbox have skyrocketed with notices that there has been a new post in a thread I'm watching - only the first such post, mind you! - or that someone has "liked" a post of mine).
What is absolutely new to me is the possibility to choose the threads that show up in the newsletter. How does that work?

Erestor Arcamen

Archivist
Staff member
Reaction score
It lists the threads that have been active and created. I 'vote' on them by choosing whether they're the type that should be included or not. Like I said, if it's a Tolkien discussion oraybe member artwork or things like that I choose to keep it included. If it's a game thread or a new member intro, I exclude those.

ArwenStar

Reaction score
I get an email Saturdays where I choose what threads show up in the newsletter.
Interesting...
The last "The Tolkien Forum Newsletter" e-mail from TTF was sent on 12.09.2019. I received at least one earlier one, it's on a two-week schedule.
12.09.2019 is exactly one day before ArwenStar joined. The next TTFN should go out tomorrow.
It appears to show threads where there have been recent posts.
It has an "Unsubscribe" button at the bottom, which you may have selected at some time in the past, S-eS.
But it is, in one sense, probably not "by members for members" as per user16578's post, as at the bottom is a statement "Sent on behalf of The Tolkien Forum by Threadloom".
I never check my email so...
Not a member name I can recall ever having seen, so I'd guess a site-internal bot.
And how can a bot post?

Olorgando

Reaction score
And how can a bot post?
Er, probably bot is the wrong term here.
But it's not about posting in a thread, it's about sending out e-mails outside the site.
Since I get an e-mail notification every time there is a new post on a thread I am watching (also sent automatically, but only for the first new post there), I really don't need this bi-weekly message.

Thread suggestions