🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

Non-Tolkien related fora/threads

Legolam

Ad astra per aspera
Reaction score
What do you Periaur think of the closing of the GoP and GoR? Does this mean the end for all non-Tolkien related fora? I have to say that I'm not a fan of this decision.

Ithrynluin

seeker of solace
Staff member
Reaction score
The fate of the other non-Tolkien areas has yet to be decided.

If it were to be discussed, I'd be opposed to closing down the Periaur and the Outcasts. Perhaps moving them off the main page, but otherwise leaving the two untouched.

Elbereth

Star Queen of Valinor
Reaction score
It would be a sad sad day if and when they decide to close guilds like the Guild of Periaur or Guild of Outcast because it is "non-Tolkien related" because I have never seen this guild as a non-tolkien guild.

If you read back you will see that my original vision for this guild was indeed to incorporate the discussion of Tolkien amongst members of our generation. The fact that the members of the guild chose not to discuss Tolkien in here was out of my hands.

I have taken great pride in this guild...because although we do not discuss Tolkien in great length, we have had very worthwhile discussions on other matters that really mean something to us. And it also allows the membership to really shine and show others that we Tolkien fans are really more well rounded than the skeptics and critics give us credit for. It would be a shame to loose that aspect of this forum.

However, I understand Webmaster for wanting to keep his Tolkien forum tolkien-related. He is the boss after all and what he says goes...and if he wants this guild removed....so be it...I will be greatly saddened....but I won't stand in his way.

Niniel

Random Quoter
Reaction score
I think TTF is suffering from its own success: after a while, many fora become not only places where people can dicuss certain subjects, but also real communities, where people can meet with their friends and talk about everything they want. It's like schools: people go there because they need to learn stuff, but when they are there they do lots of other stuff besides. I think the force of TTF is that it has become such a community, and that it has always been possible to have off-topic discussions. Of course I do like to discuss Tolkien-related subjects, we all do, but the people on TTF are also my friends and if we could only talk about Tolkien TTF would not be as much fun as it is now. If there were only Tolkien-related subjects to discuss, TTF would loose much of its attraction for me and I think I would not visit here as often as I do now.

Legolam

Ad astra per aspera
Reaction score
I totally agree. The idea of discussing Tolkien and his works were what drew me to this forum initially (almost 2 years ago!), but it's the people and non-Tolkien discussions that keep me coming back daily. I still love to discuss the books/movies, but if that was all that was on TTF, I wouldn't be here half as often.

DGoeij

Pan Narran
Reaction score
True. I met a lot of people here from all over the globe because of Tolkien in the first place, but I really enjoy talking about other issues as well.

I think I really understand the WM's dilemma. This is a Tolkien site primarily, but people start talking about other things as well because they like to do so. I really wonder how one could change that, even if it's only a little.

Darkknight

Honourable Periaur
Reaction score
Since it's April and this thread was posted in October is it safe to assume Guild of Periaur was permitted to exist? The off-topic board communities are often what keeps people interested in a messageboard because not everybody would wish to discuss topics all of their time on the board.

Elbereth

Star Queen of Valinor
Reaction score
Yes, amazingly so, the Periaur have survived to see another day.

I am greatful to have new members like who are are keeping the conversations alive.

Now as for non-tolkien threads....as I may have said before, it is definately necessary in our forum as it keeps the sense of community alive and well in our little Tolkien community. Tolkien is in the minds of all us when we come into this forum...but it is not all consuming in our lives and shouldn't be here.

I would go on...but my muscles are sore and I'm tired....I'll continue another day I guess.

Darkknight

Honourable Periaur
Reaction score
Elbereth said:
Yes, amazingly so, the Periaur have survived to see another day.

I am greatful to have new members like who are are keeping the conversations alive.

Now as for non-tolkien threads....as I may have said before, it is definately necessary in our forum as it keeps the sense of community alive and well in our little Tolkien community. Tolkien is in the minds of all us when we come into this forum...but it is not all consuming in our lives and shouldn't be here.

I would go on...but my muscles are sore and I'm tired....I'll continue another day I guess.
Tolkien is what brought us here and the community is what let's us stay. As long as people keep coming then the board will stay, right?

Tolkien is in the minds of all us when we come into this forum...but it is not all consuming in our lives and shouldn't be here.

You mean Tolkien is not a lifestyle? :p

Elbereth

Star Queen of Valinor
Reaction score
Having Tolkien as a lifestyle is all well and good if that is what you want to do. I just think one should have a bit of balance in their lives.

I do admit,Tolkien is a good thing to have in your life, it opens one up to fantasy and creativity and a world that is a wonderful escape from the harsh realities of our own world. However, anything in excess is never a good thing. And as long as one realizes that, then I say, go ahead and live that Tolkien lifestyle to your hearts content! :cool:

Thread suggestions