🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

Of Men pt.1

Mithrellas.Dagoranna

Heiress of Ecthelion of the Fountain
Reaction score
How is the love life of Men? Is it same like Elves? Coz, i dont really believe if their love like is like the elves'. Coz i have ever heard a state that Men is more alike to Melkor.

Are there any prostitutes or brothel in Middle Earth? If so, where? Perhaps at Gondor?

What is the age maximum for Men?

Galin

Reaction score
You might need GRR Martin here, for example ;)

externally I doubt Tolkien would "go there". To me it just doesn't feel like JRRT as a writer to go down such paths.

internally I keep in mind that The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings are imagined to be written by Bilbo and Frodo, using the recollections of friends and so on. Again I don't see the Hobbits feeling the need to note such things in the tale, if someone noticed anything in Gondor for instance, that might have seemed a bit "unseemly" let's say.

internally still that said, there is this at least (that I recall at the moment), by the author of a text titled Orcs:

"... is a cogent point, though horrible to relate. It became clear in time that undoubted Men could under the domination of Morgoth or his agents in a few generations be reduced almost to the Orc-level of mind and habits; and then they would or could be made to mate with orcs, producing new breeds, often larger and more cunning."

Saruman did this much later, a wicked deed indeed.

Last edited:

CirdanLinweilin

The Wandering Wastrel
Reaction score
internally still that said, there is this at least (that I recall at the moment), by the author of a text titled Orcs:

"... is a cogent point, though horrible to relate. It became clear in time that undoubted Men could under the domination of Morgoth or his agents in a few generations be reduced almost to the Orc-level of mind and habits; and then they would or could be made to mate with orcs, producing new breeds, often larger and more cunning."

Saruman did this much later, a wicked deed indeed.

That is horrifying..........

CL

HalasĂ­an

Dunedain Ranger
Reaction score
I know it isn't canon, but I always thought the Forsaken Inn was a bit of a bawdy place compared to the proper inns of Bree.
Located out of town, a bit of a dive bar, saucy barmaids, etc. ;)

Mithrellas.Dagoranna

Reaction score
I know it isn't canon, but I always thought the Forsaken Inn was a bit of a bawdy place compared to the proper inns of Bree.
Wow. I can imagine it. Alike with medieval times. How many inns exactly at Bree?

Do Gondor or Rohan have one or two?

AzrubĂȘl

DrĂșadan
Reaction score
Haha this is great. For some reason, I keep reading "...dive bar, saucy MERMAIDS", but that's a different issue....

HalasĂ­an

Dunedain Ranger
Reaction score
Wow. I can imagine it. Alike with medieval times. How many inns exactly at Bree?

Do Gondor or Rohan have one or two?
I would guess there was more than one in Bree, with the Prancing Pony known for the best beer and food. I woyls suspect that other places, like Edoras, had an inn and/or tavern, and there were likely more than one in Minas Tirith with its 7 levels. The only canon I can point to is the bit in the Hobbit where it is mentioned 'inns' as plural, when the Forsaken was passed. It's been decades since I read the Hobbit though, so can't point to the particular passage right now.

Mithrellas.Dagoranna

Reaction score
I would guess there was more than one in Bree, with the Prancing Pony known for the best beer and food. I woyls suspect that other places, like Edoras, had an inn and/or tavern, and there were likely more than one in Minas Tirith with its 7 levels. The only canon I can point to is the bit in the Hobbit where it is mentioned 'inns' as plural, when the Forsaken was passed. It's been decades since I read the Hobbit though, so can't point to the particular passage right now.
Ahhh... thanks!! No quote no text, no problem! As long as you can state it as "from Tolkien", i would believe!!

HalasĂ­an

Dunedain Ranger
Reaction score
This bit was a vague mention by J.R.R. Tolkien in The Hobbit...

At first they had passed through hobbit-lands, a wide respectable country inhabited by decent folk, with good roads, an inn or two, and now and then a dwarf or a farmer ambling by on business. Then they came to lands where people spoke strangely, and sang songs Bilbo had never heard before. Now they had gone on far into the Lone-lands where there were no people left, no inns and the roads grew steadily worse.

Thread suggestions