🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

Of Reading Ut and HoME

maarten

Reaction score
UT and on

I'm planning on reading some of the ME-story books like unfinished tales, do they read like the silmarrilion or more like LORT?
I liked the silmarillion better actually because of the grandeur of the events told. LOTR seemed more like just another story after i read the silmarilion...
And with what book should i begin, or is there no order in them?

aragil

Just another loremaster
Reaction score
Secondarily Beautiful State of Washington
UT and HOME read more like the Silmarillion, with Christopher Tolkien explanations every chapter describing different versions of the drafts and relating whatever personal feelings his father had shared on these matters. Just a warning, Tolkien's writing style was not yet as refined as it was in later publications. Also CT has presents them pretty much as is, so they don't have the benefit of any editing.

Tulkas

Reaction score
HoME

Ok, a couple of weeks ago I started reading The Book of Lost Tales and I eventually had to stop because I was so confused by all the name changes, such as Vanyar to Teleri and Teleri to Solosimpi. I am now reading the Unfinished Tales and find that easier to read. Could you guys help me out with what HoME books would be worth my reading, or are all HoME books like that?

I plan to read books like The Lost Tales after I have read more Tolkien and have more knowledge of Middle-Earth. The different versions of a story confuse me.

Please help.

Ståle

Reaction score
Vanyar, Teleri(and Noldor) actually refer to the three different "tribes" of Elves(also known as Light-Elves, Deep-Elves and Sea-Elves respectively).

Tulkas

Reaction score
Come on guys. All I need to know is is it ok to read things from HoME out of order? I have many of the books and I see some things that look cool, but I have to read through something boring to get to it.

BTW, it isn't neccesarily boring, just beyond my Middle-Earth knowledge and is hard to read.

Walter

Flamekeeper
Reaction score
Tulkas,

I have got the better part of the HoME about a month ago and whenever I find a topic of interest in the LoTR, I am reading through the appropriate chapter(s) of the HoME.

So, I am reading things "out of order" and I have not noticed any effects on myself that would counterindicate this method ;)

Telchar

Someone out there?
Reaction score
I'm always reading HoME "out of order", I seldom read the HoME books from the beginning to the end, only did it once I think, and now I rearly finish one book before i'm reading some chapters in another. So I agree with Walter, it dosn't matter if you follow read it in the right order or not, as long as you get through it. :)

B

bullitt

History of Middle-Earth -

Volume I : The Book of Lost Tales : Part One
Volume II : The Book of Lost Tales : Part Two
Volume III : The Lays of Beleriand
Volume IV : The Shaping of Middle-Earth
Volume V : The Lost Road and Other Writings
Volume VI : The Return of the Shadow : History of LoTR : Part I
Volume VII : Treason of Isengard : History of LoTR : Part II
Volume VIII: The War of the Ring : History of LoTR : Part III
Volume IX : Sauron Defeated : The End of the Third Age : HoLoTR : IV
Volume X : Morgoth's Ring
Volume XI : The War of the Jewel
Volume XII : The People's of Middle-Earth

I hope I haven't completely confused you.

Bullitt

Camille

Of the Edain
Reaction score
I need help guys, and since you are talking about HOME..., I went to a library last week looking for some tolkien books and I found some of the HOME books, I already have the book of lost tales ,and I read it before the sil, and it was ok to read the sil and found everything in order!! in the Book of lost tales some times you only have pieces of information.
I would like to know if all this collection of books (HOME) have something new, I mean they are based on the stories of the sil and the LOTR anthe Hobbit and just are differnt versions of them, or there are new stories like how Eorl the young made the Rohan city, or more about the dwarves, I would like to know before buying them
greetings

Snaga

The Usual Suspect
Reaction score
I have

Volume VII : Treason of Isengard : History of LoTR : Part II
Volume VIII: The War of the Ring : History of LoTR : Part III
Volume IX : Sauron Defeated : The End of the Third Age : HoLoTR : IV

I bought them in a bookshop, the moment I clapped eyes on them. I wish I had VI, because occasionally I notice that there are things referred to that I don't know about but mostly each volume stands on its own quite well.

I've also got BoLT1, and can't really get used to it! I think for most of us the LotR ones will be an easier read if for no other reason than our familiarity with the final story.:)

Tinder

Reaction score
I've read the first ten volumes of HoME, but not the last two... so I'm sure there are some large holes in my HoMe lore. I don't think its nessecary to read them in order, when ever I read something from HoME it's usually an isolated chapter here and there. I loved 'The Book of Lost Tales' I think I go back and read the stories there more than any other of The HoME books - especially 'The Fall of Gondolin' and 'The Tale of Tinuviel'. 'The Lays of Beleriand' too, I love the section where Fingolfin and Melkor duel...

Last edited:
G

greypilgrim

The Lost Road

I have heard that Ronald (J.R.R.) wrote a story set in the 4th age about a man finding a lost road somewhere in England and it leads to Middle-earth. Can anyone confirm this and if possible, tell me if it is worth looking into and purchasing?

Flame of Anor

Going thru the Wardrobe
Reaction score
of HoME

I would like to what the HoME is like and if it is worth reading, is it repeating a lot of things that I have already read, or does it contain a bunch of stuff that you cannot find anywhere else?

-Flame

Rúmil

THE Loremaster.
Reaction score
Home is sort of like the Sil, constructed from old manuscripts, but MUCH more untidy than the Sil. It repeats a lot from the other published books, but if you are a true Tolkien fan it's definitely worth reading. I would suggest starting with vol. 12 and last, the People of ME, which has a lot of constructed, "finished" narrative; plus; a lot of new information. vol 10 and 11, also, are intersing, and they contain the latest version of the Sil. Vols 6 to 9 contain the drafts of Lotr: basically everything that was rejected from the final novel. This is not easy reading, mostly consists of scattered jottings. However, vol 9 also contains an unfinished novel The Notion Club Papers, not in the style of Lotr or the Sil at all, but about 20th century persons; is is supposed to have connect in the end to the myth of Númenor but never got there (only hints). Vols 4 and 5 contain earlier versions of the texts grouped into the published Sil. Vol 5 contains three chapters of an unfinished novel, The Lost road, again about 20th century people who sort of travel back through time to Númenor. Vol 3 contains two long poems, one about Túrin, one about Bren and Lúthien. Sort of like Beowulf in form. Vol 1 and 2 contain very early versions of the Fall of Gondolin, Túrin, and others.

Hope this answers.

Flame of Anor

Going thru the Wardrobe
Reaction score
Wow, thanks. I think that I will try to get my hands on it. Another question, what are the letters of JRRT like or are they included in the HoME?

-Flame

Ithrynluin

seeker of solace
Staff member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Flame_of_Anor
Wow, thanks. I think that I will try to get my hands on it. Another question, what are the letters of JRRT like or are they included in the HoME?

-Flame
As far as i know,the letters are a separate work and are not mingled with the HOME series.
I've only taken a brief glimpse at them once - I had to return them in an hour or so,but even in that short time I literally consumed them:)
I think the letters are a must for any Tolkien fan and I'll be getting my own copy very soon.

Thread suggestions