🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

Of the 3 extended edition films,which one is your favorite and why?

KL70

Reaction score
Of the 3 extended edition only LOTR films on blu-ray, which is your favorite film and please say why.

Starbrow

Tolkien Fan
Reaction score
My favorite is the Fellowship of the Rings. I love how the Shire and Lothlorien are depicted in the films. For me the characters are the least cringe-inducing in this part. I don't like how Gimli was made into such a clown and I hate how they changed Faramir's character in the other films.

Maiden_of Harad

Diligere est Pati
Reaction score
Code:
My favorite is the Fellowship of the Rings. I love how the Shire and Lothlorien are depicted in the films.
Me too! The pace of FOTR is wonderful too; lingering, almost languid at times, while at other moments I held my breath in fear. This film is one of the most beautiful, in scenery, costuming, and acting that I've seen. Plus, I think it's the one that sticks closest to the book (at least that's how it looked to me, who only read LOTR straight through once).
In all each of these elements came together to make a truely enjoyable film.
Now if only they had Glorfindel instead of Arwen at the fords...
...And yes, I read the book well before seeing the movie, and I reread my favorite parts over and over again:)

Sulimo

Reaction score
Though I dislike Aragorn and Arawen's characters in the film I do think it is by far the best of the films. The others do not even compare.

Olorgando

Reaction score
I'll go with "Fellowship", too. The EEs generally added stuff for the nerds, but I guess it has to do with "Fellowship" straying least far away from the book. PJ had to reckon with several millions, if not tens of millions of readers of the book screaming with rage if he had taken too many liberties. And with principal photography having been finished even before the first film hit the cinemas, there would have been potential for serious financial disaster with such a reaction - at least it might have put a very serious dent in potential box office receipts.

Halasían

Dunedain Ranger
Reaction score
Fellowship by far. Less reliant on CGI and though my stomach churns every time I see Arwen sneak up and catch Aragorn at unawares, it is still the best. The only other thing I wish to mention is in Return of the King, I love it when Peter JAckson gets skewered by Legolas's arrow.

Olorgando

Reaction score
… The only other thing I wish to mention is in Return of the King, I love it when Peter JAckson gets skewered by Legolas's arrow.
Do they show the EEs in cinemas occasionally? Memory is sketchy … but in a cinema full of nerds, that scene would probably be followed by a roar of
"All right! Go Gimli!" 😆

Erestor Arcamen

Archivist
Staff member
Reaction score
Do they show the EEs in cinemas occasionally? Memory is sketchy … but in a cinema full of nerds, that scene would probably be followed by a roar of
"All right! Go Gimli!" 😆
I recall them slowing the EE's at least once in my local Cinemark. It's been a while though.

Halasían

Dunedain Ranger
Reaction score
I dont think I saw the EE ROTK in a cinema. I did see FotR & TT EE at the theater on the lead up to the midnight showing on release of ROTK.

One of the more memorable moments of watching ROTK in a theater.. I saw it twice at one... was when a guy stood up as Frodo got his finger bit off by Gollum and started singing in perfect key 'Frodo of the Nine Fingers' song from the Rankin Bass cartoon.

Gothmog

Lord of Balrogs
Staff member
Reaction score
Well, favorite would be going too far. But my least hated is Fellowship. Despite the theatrical release being so bad that I almost walked out half-way through, the extra in the EE did make it watchable.

The worst by far is Two Towers. I recall all the furor over the name before it's release with many saying that it should be changed because of the Twin Towers and thinking what a load of invented outrage. Then I saw it in the cinema and thought it should have been re-named and all references to Lord of the Rings removed from the posters as there was almost no reference to the book within the film!

Squint-eyed Southerner

Skulking near Archet
Reaction score
Barliman told me that while he was in line for TT, he saw a guy wearing a T shirt reading "Remember the Real Glorfindel!".

Halasian, you should have gotten up a rousing chorus of this:

Last edited:

Thread suggestions