🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

On a scale of... (Hobbit TV Movie)

On a scale of 1 to 10, how do you rate The Hobbit cartoon

Votes: 10 27.0%

Votes: 1 2.7%

Votes: 1 2.7%

Votes: 4 10.8%

Votes: 2 5.4%

Votes: 5 13.5%

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 2 5.4%
  • I haven't seen it.

• Total voters

Sting99

Reaction score
On a scale of...

On a Scale of 1 to 10, how would you rate The Hobbit cartoon movie. 1 is the worst, 10 is the best. Thank you for your vote.

(I realize I have been doing a lot of polls lately and I apologize if this annoys some of you, but I love polls.)

L

lyca

the hobbit cartoon? when did that happen? Have i been in my hobbit hole too long? :)

Aerin

Halfway out the door
Reaction score
The cartoon versions of the Hobbit or LOTR are horrendously, horribly inaccurate and terrible! Need I go on???

A

acymlf

is there a hobbit cartoon????? never heard of it. can one purchase it???

Mr. Underhill

Reaction score
I gave it a 7 ... just because it's fairly well done and obviously for children. Just might inspire one of the li'l buggers to actually read the book (it did me, many years ago).

Telchar

Someone out there?
Reaction score
Haven't seen it.. Been trying to get it, just to see how it is, but they don't have it in any video stores i've been to..

El-ahrairah

Reaction score
I was only 7 or 8 when I first saw the cartoon and I loved it. I can see how in adulthood I may not give it much credit (now that I have read the books), but for children, I'd give it an 8. It is inaccurate in many ways. For adults, I'd give it a 5.

P.S. You can download the movie from Morpheus. Anyone who is a true fan should give it a chance at least once.

Tulidian

Reaction score
The rating I gave it was a 5. It had cut-out scenes and was altogether bad. But it did get me into the Lord of the Rings, when I was younger. Im glad I saw it, anyway.

R

ReadWryt

Of course, being a Rankin & Bass production, the Animated Television adaptation of "The Hobbit" is highly stylized in ways that annoy anyone who didn't like their "Frosty's Winter Wonderland"(1976) and "Rudolph the Red Nosed Raindeer"(1964), and it takes lots of liberties with the story. But bearing in mind that it's made for small children it stays about as true to the original as any animated kids film stays to the Arthurian Mythology.

You can find more about it at

http://www.snapsite.com/guests/rbh/

the art looks like this

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B00005MP59.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

There was a sequel made called "Return of the King" that took advantage of the fact that the Ralph Bakshi movie left off at an odd spot and didn't ever finish the story. THIS is a truely horrid little TV special that has some of the worst songs ever foisted on small children to have to endour. "Where there's a Whip, there's a Way" is particularly wretched...Where The Hobbit strayed a bit Return of the King gets lost WAAAAAaaaayyyy off the path of the original, being that LotR is considered more Adult and contains things not really "Suitable for Children". *Shudder*

When did THAT happen? I mean, was it so horrible for young people to read Homer or Erich Remarque's "All quiet on the western front"? When I was a kid, I was given my grandfather's collection of hard bound editions of everything written by Zane Grey, some of which were quite graphic in their depiction of violence, and this was common reading for young men in the 50's. The mysteries of Sherlock Holmes often described horrible murders, and the "John Carter on Mars" series by Edgar Rice Burroughs was read by so many kids that were uneffected by the violence and "Adult themes" that it astounds me when, confronted with things like Battles, Honor, the eternal struggle between Good and Evil and Personal Suffering for a cause, stories like Rankin & Bass' "Return of the King" end up so watered down that they are barely recognisable all for the sake of protecting the first generation of kids NOT reading the above books and also the first to take up arms against their peers on Campus...Makes ya think, huh?

F

Frodo Baggins

Animated Hobbit

Has anyone seen the recently re-released LOTR animated movie. (Lord of the Rings is the title by the way) There are many parts where live action is made into animation, and if you've seen the movie you know what I mean. It just looks sloppy and as in the animated Hobbit, there are many scenes nowhere to be found. I do say though that is intended for children, so it does a good job of getting the storyline across. I would not buy it though.

R

ReadWryt

Originally posted by ReadWryt in THIS thread
Disney never made any Tolkien Films. They indeed had at one time owned the rights to make The Lord of the Rings, but dragged their feet about it and lost the rights. Thus "Black Cauldren" was born in the wake of Ralph Bakshi's travesty. Ever notice that when Galadriel looks straight at you she looks like a FISH?

Actually the worst aspect in my mind about that film, aside from the score sounding like someone crammed an orchestra into a closet, is that it was marketed as an "Animated" movie. In fact it was filmed in Black and White with Actors and then Drawn Over (Rotoscoped) with the voices supplied later...

So far as I know the only things that Rankin and Bass ever did were "The Hobbit" and "The return of the King", the latter of which is being released on DVD in 3 days on the 11th...

S

Stalker

I gave it four, and that was just because that uhmmm.... welll.... The name is good:D

Rosie Cotton

Reaction score
I haven't seen in it in quite a long time, but I do remember enjoying it- I gave it a 5.

LOTRF

Reaction score
I really didnt like it because they made the hobbits looks weird and i hated the way they did gollum. The Lord of the rings one I liked better becuase they did the hobbits a LITTLE better. The return of the king was soooooo bad they did hardly any of the book in it.

Orin

Reaction score
The RANKin/Bass Hobbit cartoon

I enjoyed the cartoon when it first came out in 77. But then again, I was 11 years of age. I rented it Saturday to show my son. It was then that I realized how rank it was. It stunk. It s*cked. Not only did it s*ck, but it sw*llowed, as well. It bit the wax tadpole. Don't rent it. Avoid it. It is the plague. If the FOTR is only one tenth as bad as the Hobbit, well...........heaven help us all.
I rate it a negative 4.

Nimawae's hope

Born at a very early age
Reaction score
My dear Orin, you need not be so polite in giving "The Hobbit" cartoon a negative four. Please remember that this is a place where people can freely express their opinions. Why, everyone knows that this cartoon deserves no better than a negative fifteen trillion, five hundred billion, nineteen million, eight hundred thirty-two thousand, four hundred eighty-eight, point nine, nine, nine! Of course if anyone deaires to give this movie less than this it is entirely up to that individual.:rolleyes:

Orin

Reaction score
I will say the cartoon Hobbit does offer very young people a good idea of the story. I rented it for my son so as to make reading the book to him more understandable.

Aredhel

Governor of Imladris
Reaction score
Come on!

I had to watch the cartoon in Grade 8, and although I read the book, and I dearly, dearly dearly loved the story(I read it 13 times in one school year out of a total of 15 my entire life), I hated the cartoon. It missed important points, and had unimportant details in there. Overall, I gave it a 1, and they should make movie of The Hobbit just like thier doing with the Lord of the Rings.

Eledhwen

Cumbrian
Reaction score
Royal Wootton Bassett, Wiltshire, England, UK
I haven't seen this film; it's quite difficult to get hold of in European format. There are some Amazon reviews here, but they don't match the opinions I've read elsewhere. No Beorn (ok, I can understand cutting his household staff, but not him!), no Arkenstone (a gem that harks back to the effects of the Silmarils). And just look at the "buy these two together" deal with the VHS version: Rikki Tikki Tavi? I mean!

Last edited:

Thread suggestions