🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

origin of the hobbits

maarten

Reaction score
This question must have been asked a 1000 times before, but where did the hobbits come from in middle-earth, or who did they descend from??
I'v read the Hobbit, LOTR and the Silmarillion butr i have no idea.
To me they look most like a cross breeding between Elves and Dwarves....
Any thought or knowledge about this?:confused:

Nazgul

Reaction score
I read somewhere that they are descended from Men. but I know for sure they dont have any relation with elves.

Cian

sylvan madman
Reaction score
"... and that my 'hobbits' were in any case of wholly dissimilar sort, a diminutive branch of the human race." JRRT Letters

Lantarion

no house
Reaction score
I remember reading that they 'originated' around the Vale of Anduin, wherever that is. :D I suppose it's somewhere to the south.
Welcome, Maarten! :)

FrodetteBaggins

Reaction score
They are kind of decendants of men and their is no average hobbit. Like their isn't a set height or weight for them and there is three types of them....Harfoots, Stoors and Fallohides. Also they are very old-fashioned and have no idea what machines are..........had to say that bit.:cool:

Thread suggestions