🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

Other Works?

T

taylorstaten1

What are other works by J. R. R. Tolkien? I've never heard of them:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

T

The Vukster

I have read The Hobbit and am currently in the final book of LotR. As I have found these to be most entertaining, I would like to read some of Tolkien's related works. Does anyone have any opinions on which order these books should be read in? I am considering reading The Silmarillion, Unfinished Tales, and the entire HoME series. I am also looking at The Tolkien Reader and The Tolkien Companion.

Also, I have heard some good things about the following books: An Atlas of ME (Fonstad), A Complete Guide to ME (Foster), Journeys of Frodo (Strachey), and a Tolkien Bestiary (Day). Perhaps reading these first might enhance the others?

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

tookish-girl

Pippin's stranger sister
Reaction score
There's also "Tales from the Perilous Realm" by Tolkien that has poems in about the story of Tom Bombadil, the Errantry (which I love!) other silly Hobbit songs by Bilbo and one by Frodo, I think, all supposedly set down in the Red Book. There's also short stories like Leaf by Niggle and Farmer Giles of Ham. Really cool!

Hirila

2009 - life is great
Reaction score
And don`t forget "Roverandom"!

The sweetest story of a little dog that has the luck to visit the man on the moon and the kingdom down under the ocean. And you`ll even find there relations to the Lost Tales:

Becuse in Roverandom the children from earth visit a valley on the moon in their dreams and they visit a valley on Tol Eressea (or is it in Valinor? I don`t remember at the moment) in BoLT.

Inwe

Reaction score
Don't forget the Book of Lost Tales 1 & 2. If you enjoyed the Silmarrilion these give lots really good background.

Thread suggestions