🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

PC, and VDT

Firawyn

Verbatim et litteratim.
Reaction score
Hey people, I'm in the mood to discuss Prince Caspian and the Voyage of the Dawn Treader...join me please...my stupid family doesna't understand anything about this world.

Question: Why was she called the Dawn Treader? Thought?

YayGollum

Conscience of TTF
Reaction score
Columbia, South Carolina, the United States of Nor
Dawn Treader, treads the dawn, traverses along the line on which dawn is identified (the horizon). Makes sense to me. Anyways, okay, let us discuss Prince Caspian and The Voyage Of The Dawn Treader. Prince Caspian, had some cool bits but was one of my least favorite in the series. I mostly hated it because there wasn't as much crazy fantasticalness in it. A bunch of boring humans. Hm. But then, The Horse And His Boy, my favorite, has even more humans. oh well. The Horse And His Boy was the most unique. Anyways, The Voyage Of The Dawn Treader was achingly entertaining. Plenty of crazy fantasticalness in that.

Ermundo

Bam!
Reaction score
Voyage of the Dawn Treader was pretty good, but the book I really liked was the Silver Chair. Now that was a book worth reading. Also, the silver chair was the first of the Narnia books that I read so obviously.

I got my sister hooked onto the series ever since I forced her to read The Lion, The Witch, and the wardrobe. Anyway, Prince Caspian was really good to, since it was a much bigger adventure than any of the other books, and really put you imagination to work.

Morgoththe1

------------
------------ ((Off topic but doesn't that look kinda like three lane
------------ highway)

Firawyn

Verbatim et litteratim.
Reaction score
Morgoth you're hystarical. Yes, that does look like highway.

Hummm back on topic. Yay, I see your point about PC not really having alot of fantasy. SC def. tops it in that arena.

I personally loved PC, because time travel never stops grabbing my undevided attention. lol

I like the way PC and VDT follow one another. It makes the story seem longer...those books were not long enough....

Though Lord of the Rings was almost TOO long!

YayGollum

Conscience of TTF
Reaction score
But then, don't all of them follow each other? Oh. Well, I forget if the publishing order made it so that only Prince Caspian and The Voyage Of The Dawn Treader were in chronological order. Anyways, didn't all of the books have a bit to do with time travel?

Firawyn

Verbatim et litteratim.
Reaction score
In concept, yes they all deal with time travel, but Prince Caspian focused on it.

Hey have any of you ever seen 'The Companion of Narnia' by Paul Ford. It is the bomb, esp the apendixes.

Majimaune

No face, no name
Reaction score
I like the two with Reepicheep. He's the best. It's good in Dawn Treader because he has a fairly big part.

I like The Horse and His Boy as well. It's (in my opinion as a writer) the best.

HLGStrider

All Knowing Magic Cat
Reaction score
The Dawn Treader is my favorite book. I think because it is possibly the most fantastic. You have the pool of water that turns people to gold and the island of nightmares for the ominous. You have the Dufflepuds for the humorous, and in the end the promise of the end of the World, Aslan.

It is a beautiful book.

Prince Caspian was interesting but never got my attention all that much. I wouldn't say it was my least favorite though. I may get snapped at for this, but I don't really care for the Last Battle.

chrysophalax

Dragon of Note
Reaction score
I, too, like the Silver Chair the best...mainly because of Puddleglum. He has optomistic pessimism down to an art! And who doesn't want the recipe for Man Pie?? *toothy Dragon grin*

YayGollum

Conscience of TTF
Reaction score
I thought that Prince Caspian focused on a bunch of boring humans fighting about whether they should look at a bunch of freaks of nature as equals or not. :rolleyes: oh well. No, I haven't read that book outside of those The Chronicles Of Narnia books but about them. What, is that like a The History Of Middle Earth sort of thing, but for the C. S. Lewis dude? Anyways, the order of coolest to most boring is actually ---> The Horse And His Boy, because it is the most unique and interesting, The Magician's Nephew, because of the magician, the witch, and creation stories are cool, The Voyage Of The Dawn Treader, because it had lots of information that you'd been wondering about ever since you heard of those islands, and Eustace was cool when he was annoying and got turned into a dragon, The Silver Chair, because of Puddleglum, who is the best, the owls, and the superly cool and evil plan of the witch's, The Lion, The Witch, And The Wardrobe, because I didn't care about very many of the characters, Prince Caspian, because only Trumpkin was cool, and The Last Battle, easily.

Firawyn

Verbatim et litteratim.
Reaction score
HLGStrider said:
The Dawn Treader is my favorite book. I think because it is possibly the most fantastic. You have the pool of water that turns people to gold and the island of nightmares for the ominous. You have the Dufflepuds for the humorous, and in the end the promise of the end of the World, Aslan.

It is a beautiful book.

Prince Caspian was interesting but never got my attention all that much. I wouldn't say it was my least favorite though. I may get snapped at for this, but I don't really care for the Last Battle.

I'm going to have to side with Elgee on this one....LB was my least favorite....after reading it a dozen or so times, I started skipping the first two chapters....they are so boring.

VDT, again, siding with Elgee, was the best. It had a little of everything for all types of people.

I, too, like the Silver Chair the best...mainly because of Puddleglum. He has optomistic pessimism down to an art!
I could not have said this any better....hey did you guys hear the Andrew Ademson will probobly be playing Puddleglum in the Silver Chair Film?

Majimaune

No face, no name
Reaction score
Firawyn said:
I could not have said this any better....hey did you guys hear the Andrew Ademson will probobly be playing Puddleglum in the Silver Chair Film?
I had no idea. The one with all four as kids is being made next though I think, cause otherwise the kids will get too old and look too different. That will be the one before VDT. Cant think of the name.

Firawyn

Verbatim et litteratim.
Reaction score
Elgee you beat me to the punch....ah well. As you said, it's Prince Caspian.

Do you guys prefer to read them in publishing order -
1. LWW - The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe (1950)
2. PC - Prince Caspian(1951)
3. VDT - The Voyage of the Dawn Treader (1952)
4. SC - The Silver Chair (1953)
5. HHB - The Horse and His Boy (1954)
6. MN - The Magicians Nephew(1955)
7. LB - The Last Battle (1956)

Or in chronicalogical order?

1. The Magicians Nephew
2. The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe
3. The Horse and His Boy
4. Prince Caspian
5. The Voyage of the Dawn Treader
6. The Silver Chair
7. The Last Battle

Or in some other order...please elaborate. :p

Ermundo

Bam!
Reaction score
Firawyn said:
Elgee you beat me to the punch....ah well. As you said, it's Prince Caspian.

Do you guys prefer to read them in publishing order -
1. LWW - The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe (1950)
2. PC - Prince Caspian(1951)
3. VDT - The Voyage of the Dawn Treader (1952)
4. SC - The Silver Chair (1953)
5. HHB - The Horse and His Boy (1954)
6. MN - The Magicians Nephew(1955)
7. LB - The Last Battle (1956)

Or in chronicalogical order?

1. The Magicians Nephew
2. The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe
3. The Horse and His Boy
4. Prince Caspian
5. The Voyage of the Dawn Treader
6. The Silver Chair
7. The Last Battle

Or in some other order...please elaborate. :p

When I first read the books, I started with the sixth one, since I didn't know the book was part of a chronology. It was a great book, make no mistake about that, and was beautifully writen.

After I read The Silver Chair, I heard from my friend about an even better book by the same author (atleast, that was his opinion), called the Last Battle. I read it, and I was amazed, I tell you. From a readers standpoint, that would have been problably the best of the seven Narnia books.

Something than clicked in my head, and I realized I had been reading a series of books the entire time. But I had thought it was a trilogy.

Our class had been assigned to do a book review. An aquatince of mine, Joe, happened to have choosen the Magician's Nephew. While presenting in front of the class, he added a sidenote about other books of the series. He mentioned all 7 books, down to the Last Battle

After I heard that, I resolved to read the other five books in chronological order. And that's my story.

YayGollum

Conscience of TTF
Reaction score
But then, have not preferences for orders to read these books been covered in another thread of this section? I figured that this was supposed to be exclusively about the Prince Caspian and The Voyage Of The Dawn Treader books. :confused: Because it's easy to jump from thread to thread, if the desire to switch topics strikes you. *hides*

Firawyn

Verbatim et litteratim.
Reaction score
If you want to all technical about it, fine, be that way. Personally, since we're discussing more than one book, the order in which they are read seemed relevant. :p

I might just be a pain in the rear end though....

Well Mr. TTF, you bring up a PC or VDT discussion...you never seem to be without ideas.:D

YayGollum

Conscience of TTF
Reaction score
Sure thing. To satiate desires ---> Yikes! How horrifyingly racist are those Narnian humans? Garn! That Caspian dude grew up thinking that all of the way more magically oriented types were superly cool, he takes over, then apparently zero gain cushy statuses? No fair, man. Sure, maybe, since they're fantastical type creatures, they might not have interests along the lines of titles and responsibilities (recalls the paradisical and lackadaisical attitudes of most of them, before the humans messed the place up too badly), but then, I would think that a bit of representation would be called for, since there were some creepily different mindsets among them. Ick! All of those human lords they were looking for! Gots to round up all of our finest, you know! You freaks of nature are amusing, every now and then, but that's about all you're good for (recalls disrespect to Reepicheep).

HLGStrider

All Knowing Magic Cat
Reaction score
I kind of read it that Caspian felt called to find the missing lords simply because they were loyal friends to his father. His intentions seem less to drag than home than to garantee their safety and honor their fates.

Also, didn't Trumpkin (It has been so long since I've read the Silver Chair, I may be totally slaughtering names and details here) receive stewardship in Caspian's absence, which would put him second in command over Narnia.

Though certain forms of "magic creatures" probably just didn't want anything to do with it. Nymphs and fawns come to mind. In the Last Battle it appears to me that only an extreme situation brought the doomed nymph out of her forest at all.

Thread suggestions