🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

(perhaps stupid) question about orcs

Melian

Maia Queen
Reaction score
Kit,I've always had a theory about female orcs,but many members would probably disagree with it.My theory is simply this:there are no female orcs.All orcs were turned out in some kind of factories.Probably in Angband and Isengard there were some branches of "ORC Inc."???
Now,seriously.As orcs were perverted Elves(i.e. they were captured Elvish soldiers),I don't believe that any captured Elvish maiden could withstand the horrors of Morgoth's prisons and thus no females lived on to become orcs.Female orcs.:) :confused:

Camille

Of the Edain
Reaction score
You are right melian , I disagree, in the Sil is stated that the orcs reproduced themselves as the manner of the children of the iluvatar (because once upon a time they were eleves....) so I guess there are female orc but they were at the caves taking care of the prisioners and the baby orcs :D :D

Elanor2

Reaction score
Considering the social charmes, culture, and moral values of your average orc, it gives me the shivers to think what kind of education are these "loving" orc mothers giving to their babies...

I guess that a successful baby orc might be the one that manages to survive his own mother. And his playmates as well, I dare say...

At least, it makes them stronger...

Beorn

In the shadows
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, the survival of the fittest.

The orcs that learned to beat the lunch money outta the little guy is more likely to date, mate, and produce fertile offspring.

Anyway, I would suspect so, as the quote goes, in the manner of the Children of Ilu.

I must directly disagree with the Orc Inc. theory. It was said, (not sure where) that evil cannot produce life. Therefore, anyone working for Orc Inc. would not be able to make orcs, as they would be creating life.

Kiwi

Reaction score
If evil cannot produce life (was that said somewhere here?), and Orc's DO reproduce...does that mean that they are NOT inherantly (sp) evil things by nature??

H

Harad

Orcs strive for 5 things in life: Death Marching, Insulting, Threatening, Low Cunning, and Brute Strength. An Orcling growing up in Lugburz, for example, will receive early training out of the Orc Nursery in each of those subjects.

A qualified Instructor will have a class of about 600 Orclings (reduced class sizes) and will generally have about 250 left alive for graduation. There are no rules against capital punishment of course.

Only the most qualified survivors go on to Orcficers Training School to become great Captains like Grishnakh and Shagrat.

Hama

Scholar and Adventurer
Reaction score
Yes, the orcs inc. theory and pj's pod theory are both slightly inaccurate. As someone rightly said so, orcs did reproduce in the manner of the children of iluvatar. I think what Beorn meant was that the powers of evil (melkor, sauron and co.) cannot produce creatures and give them life on their own account. They can breed and corrupt creatures from 'raw material'. There was another thread (someone help me...where was it) that discussed this in further detail. Evil creatures are capable of reproduction. So there are female orcs. However, female orcs are sort of like female dwarves. They exist technically, but one never sees or hears of them. As neither dwarves or orcs are innately beautiful creatures, I think Tolkien could not bring himself to picturing haggard bearded females, and therefore chose to exclude them from his narratives.

M

Maindogg

orcs are produced in this "factory" so they cannot reproduce by mating....half-orcs is a crossing betwen men and orcs, so they can reproduce by mating...anyway thats my teory...:p

Melian

Maia Queen
Reaction score
Alas!I've tried to come up with a more aesthetic idea of orcish origins.For I don't want to imagine how a male orc makes love to a female...It must fascinating.

R

ReadWryt

Harad,

Was that tongue in cheek or do you have some literature from Tolkien that you derive that from?

Goro Shimura

Scribe of the Eldanyárë
Reaction score
Wasn't there a Star Trek episode that featured Orc Mating rituals?

(You see... there's these three brains in an underground bunker....)

aragil

Just another loremaster
Reaction score
Secondarily Beautiful State of Washington
Hama- in defence of PJ, he doesn't depict the Orcs as having been born from the pods. He has the crossing between orcs and men occur in pods. In the movie there is the screaming of grown men as well as the grunting of grown orcs out of the pods. Apparently PJ decided to have cross-breeding as a magical, pod-based thing, rather than depicting passionate love-making between orcs and humans. Thank you PJ. That doesn't mean that PJ thought that future generations wouldn't be born in the more conventional manner.

Lantarion

no house
Reaction score
Originally posted by Maindogg
orcs are produced in this "factory" so they cannot reproduce by mating....half-orcs is a crossing betwen men and orcs, so they can reproduce by mating...anyway thats my teory...:p
I'm afraid you're wrong, because it clearly states in the Silmarillion that Orcs multiplied 'in the manner of the Children of Ilúvatar'. That's Elves and Men, for those who have not read the Sil as of yet.
Half-orcs were bred from orcs and men, btw.
This insane theory about a 'factory' is only from the movie, and I'm not saying it's your fault you got this impression but I'd just like to disprove and correct you. :)
Welcome to the forum. :rolleyes:

Kiwi

Reaction score
Originally posted by Harad
Orcs strive for 5 things in life: Death Marching, Insulting, Threatening, Low Cunning, and Brute Strength. An Orcling growing up in Lugburz, for example, will receive early training out of the Orc Nursery in each of those subjects.

A qualified Instructor will have a class of about 600 Orclings (reduced class sizes) and will generally have about 250 left alive for graduation. There are no rules against capital punishment of course.

Only the most qualified survivors go on to Orcficers Training School to become great Captains like Grishnakh and Shagrat.
Haha!! I like this!

-Where did the half Orc's dwell? (Where are they mentioned?) and were they also slaves of Sauron? (Being made of half evil creature and half man they could be half good half bad??)

aragil

Just another loremaster
Reaction score
Secondarily Beautiful State of Washington

Thread suggestions