🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

Phone and Computer Wallpapers

Erestor Arcamen

Archivist
Staff member
Reaction score
I thought it'd be fun to share our favorite phone/PC wallpapers, if anyone else is interested. Tolkien-related or not. I've found a ton out on /r/iwallpaper and switch mine every so often. These are a few of my favorites for my phone. Feel free to download them if you want. I'd love to see everyone else's!

This is the one I have for my PC at work (I'm from Pittsburgh <3)

Squint-eyed Southerner

Skulking near Archet
Reaction score
Thanks, Erestor. Taking a short break from "life". I doubt I'll be able to make any worthwhile contributions here for a few months yet*. Might have time for a few worthless ones.

*Leaving aside the question of whether I've made any so far! :p

Erestor Arcamen

Archivist
Staff member
Reaction score
I like it! So here's my album on Google Photos of wallpapers I use for my phone. I have an IFTT setup to auto switch my phone's wallpaper from the /r/iwallpaper subreddit and if I like it, I go to Reddit and save it. Feel free to look and download any that you like :).

Olorgando

Reaction score
Wallpaper. Rrrrrright … wasn't there a time when such stuff was called desktops (or desktop something-or-other)? Probably back when most PCs were also still desktops (though only my first PC was one, since then 4 (midi) towers and now my 2013 low-end notebook (or laptop)). I have vague memories of "screen savers" (possibly an ancestor of lock screens); might have been an issue with tube monitors more than now. Or then cellphone ring-tones (again possibly the ancient history of the pre-"smart"-phone era). Especially the last seems to have had a large market, mostly among teens. None of this stuff ever caught on with me (at most very briefly). I remember people occasionally getting into exited conversations on it - my only contribution was invariably a blank, slightly confused stare. 😐

Squint-eyed Southerner

Skulking near Archet
Reaction score
Well, I have to confess that, bored with the ringtone selections furnished with my phone, I downloaded "People of earth, attention!" from one of my favorite 50's SF movies. Try it out here:

Be warned, however: you may get some odd looks from the "people of earth" -- I do! :p

Olorgando

Reaction score
Errrr, my mobile is a 2004 "stupid-phone" thingy which can do audio (aka "talking on the phone") and SMS … would that fall into one of your necrothingy categories? 😄

Squint-eyed Southerner

Skulking near Archet
Reaction score
Most definitely!
2019-08-24 14.58.55.jpg

I was forced to give up my dumbphone when ATT declared they would no longer support them. Still have the original Galaxy S5 I bought in 2015. In TechWorld terms, that counts as an ancient artifact.
Smart-Phone-Time-Travel-847205.jpg
(That's me in the lower right corner).

Last edited:

Erestor Arcamen

Archivist
Staff member
Reaction score
Well, I have to confess that, bored with the ringtone selections furnished with my phone, I downloaded "People of earth, attention!" from one of my favorite 50's SF movies. Try it out here:

Be warned, however: you may get some odd looks from the "people of earth" -- I do! :p
I am a HUGE b-movie/classic sci-fi/classic horror fan. I absolutely love old movies like Earth Vs. the Flying Saucers! I go to a convention every year where they bring in old stars like Charles Herbert (he sadly died jn2015) and other Hammer studios stars to talk about their times in the old movies. I definitely watch more classic horror and sci-fi than modern easily. My favorite sci-fi movie ever is Forbidden Planet!

Squint-eyed Southerner

Skulking near Archet
Reaction score
In that case, Erestor, you need to have some ringtones from the movie:

Or from "The Day the Earth Stood Still"

If you don't already know about them, I highly recommend the CD's produced by Monstrous Movie Music:

Hit the Home icon for a sample. Or the Audio Samples icon for more. And you can download them!

I have the first two:
monstrous_movie_music_mmm1950.jpgmonstrous2cdtn.jpg
But I want more. I may have to invade somebody!
MSM_Mesmerized_By_Trump_Tweets.gif

Last edited:

Olorgando

Reaction score
"Forbidden Planet" - oh yes, I've seen that one more than once (on TV). The original inhabitants who had self-extincted were the Krell, weren't they?
And the robot "Robbie" was recycled in one episode of the 1960s TV show "Lost in Space" ("Star Trak" done as a typical sitcom of the era).
Something vaguely similar to wallpapers are stickers for cars. Not the bumper stickers that seem to have been in vogue in the US for a time.
Rear window stickers (which if excessive can get you in trouble with the traffic cops in Germany).
Might even have been here on TTF: a sticker with a stylized Gandalf with raised hands, staff in one, Glamdring in the other.
With his statement to the Balrog "You shall not pass!"
Ironically funny (and I'm guessing the owner of the cat knew this) as that smallish car would be a prime target for passing, at least on Germany's Autobahns. ;)

Squint-eyed Southerner

Skulking near Archet
Reaction score
Robbie was used in several TV shows, as well as films.

I had a "Not All Who Wander Are Lost" bumper sticker on my truck, back in the 90's, but they proliferated after the movies. As for the window decals, a wide range are now available. A few examples:
61QdExLntqL._SL1100_.jpgil_794xN.355842432_e5yy.jpgPrecious_on_Board_LOTR_Lord_Rings_Tolkien_Gollum_Frodo_Bilbo_Mordor_Galdalf_car_photo_large.jpgFollow-Me-To-Mordor-Funny-Lord-of-the-Rings-iInspired-Car-Decal-free-shipping-s2081.jpg_q50.jpg

Erestor Arcamen

Archivist
Staff member
Reaction score
"Forbidden Planet" - oh yes, I've seen that one more than once (on TV). The original inhabitants who had self-extincted were the Krell, weren't they?
And the robot "Robbie" was recycled in one episode of the 1960s TV show "Lost in Space" ("Star Trak" done as a typical sitcom of the era).
Something vaguely similar to wallpapers are stickers for cars. Not the bumper stickers that seem to have been in vogue in the US for a time.
Rear window stickers (which if excessive can get you in trouble with the traffic cops in Germany).
Might even have been here on TTF: a sticker with a stylized Gandalf with raised hands, staff in one, Glamdring in the other.
With his statement to the Balrog "You shall not pass!"
Ironically funny (and I'm guessing the owner of the cat knew this) as that smallish car would be a prime target for passing, at least on Germany's Autobahns. ;)
Yup, the Krell! Their story always fascinated me. I'd love to have a prequel about their downfall.

SES - I didn't know about that CD but will definitely check it out. I go to a movie convention every year for old monster movies. I missed this year because I was traveling on vacation but in 2020 two of the guests will be Pat Priest and Butch Patrick from the Munsters, so that'll be lots of fun! Here's more info about it: http://www.monsterbashnews.com/bash-June.html
People sell all kinds of hard to find movies and they show a ton of old movies too. I have a TON of old horror and sci-fi DVDs.

Squint-eyed Southerner

Skulking near Archet
Reaction score
Well that does look like fun, though it's more convenient for you to get to than it would be for me!

Yeah, definitely check the MMM site -- they have released lots more stuff since I bought the first two, years ago, likeThis Island Earth (and other invasion films).jpgKronos-300x300.jpg
8301469830_bc4d168e72_n.jpg

These are newly recorded, BTW, after locating the original scores, and include lavish booklets. I was frankly surprised to see they didn't go out of business. In fact, they seem to be thriving -- there must be more fans of these old films than I thought!

Interestingly, they decided to keep the close miking and smaller orchestra normal with the, let's say, lower-budget films of the time. This contrasts with the approach of a similar project by the Marco Polo label, which re-orchestrates, or at least expands, the original scores -- the rationale being that, even for major studios, the studio orchestras in the 30's and 40's were usually quite small, often only around 30 members. I have a number of theirs, and the results can be impressive, as in their King Kong soundtrack.
51SOBuvYFtL._SY355_.jpg
I have this Marco Polo release, but I see it's also been issued on their budget label, Naxos. Either way, worth having, for any Kong fan.

Last edited:

Thread suggestions