🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

PLZ help me and friend having fight!

What does it mean???

• he was gona choose 2 elves.

Votes: 10 45.5%
  • he was gona choose 2 people from no race inpiticular

Votes: 12 54.5%

• Total voters

#1ArcherLegolas

FIRE FIRE FIRE FIRE FIRE
Reaction score
well in FOTR when they form the fellowship elrond says he's gona have to go think about which other people he will send and my friend inturpets as saying that he will coose 2 elves and i think it says he will choose out of any race. (if it says something later in the book just say keep reading)what do you guys think?

Dhôn-Buri-Dhôn

Formerly Donnie B.
Reaction score
Elrond starts by naming the number of Companions... nine. He starts with Frodo and Sam, then adds Gandalf. That's three.

Then he states that the rest of the Company will include representatives from the Dwarves, Elves, and Men - he names Gimli, Legolas, and Aragorn as these representatives. Now we have six.

Boromir is added simply because he's going the same way. That leaves two open spots, and Elrond says he'll consider further, and "Of my household I may find some that it seems good to me to send". That suggests that he was thinking only of Elves. Certainly, there are no Dwarves in Rivendell except Gimli, and though the Dunedain are not strangers there, there are no Men who are "of his household". He doesn't seem to have even considered the other Hobbits.

I'd say your friend is correct. Elrond's choices would have been Elves if M&P hadn't spoken up.

Lantarion

no house
Reaction score
Yes, but Glóin was only visiting. He traveled only to tell Elrond (or the whole Council) of the appearance of the Black Riders.
I think he didn't know who else to add to the Fellowship, and as there were no other obvious people present except his 'household' (which were indeed all Elves) he supposed that the last two would be the only ones possible. This proves his 'blindness' in not seeing the potential of the Hobbits: Pippin and Merry were standing right there! He had to be persuaded to add them to the Fellowship, instead of asking them himself.
But he certainly didn't think, IMHO, that the remaining two had to be Elves. Elrond Half-Elven was many things, but not racist. :)

LadyGaladriel

Lady Of The Golden Wood
Reaction score
There was other people that came like Bilbo. Elf friends although truely their were mainly elfs.

I can not think of any dwarf that would enjoy the company of Elves though .;)

Eithne

Reaction score
I think he was talking mainly about elves... from the whole 'from my household i will choose' quote thing, although i never really payed attention to those minor details so i'm not sure... he prolly was just saying someone staying in his household not just the elves living there... hum.

Zale

Wordsmith
Reaction score
On impulse I would say 2 people from no race in particular. But when you think about it, he would want to send the 2 people likely to be of most help to the Company. That would either be the Dúnedain, or Elves; certainly not Hobbits, and there were no other Men or Dwarves present (apart from Glóin, who was probably too old). The Dúnedain were pretty much all occupied hunting down Orcs & so on which managed to get into the region. That leaves Elves, who all have great experience and wisdom, because of their age. He would probably have sent his two sons, Elladan and Elrohir, if he thought they could be spared.

DRavisher

Reaction score
2 persons of his household... I don't know if he considered the guests (like Bilbo) to be of his household. My impressin was that he would choose two elves.

The Necromancer

Reaction score
Two people from his household? Wouldn't this mean his two sons, or te house of elves at least? I think your friend won.

Thread suggestions