🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

Pronunciation

Shadowfax

Wandering Artisianette
Reaction score
the Willamette Valley in Oregon, USA- the mudskipp
I have a quick question, and I hope that there is not a thread on this already. How does one pronounce "Shire"? Is it like Enlish towns (Yorkshire, Hartfordshire, Devonshire) they all sound like "sure". Or does it have a long "i" sound? (my friend and I have been having a long, involved "disagreement" about this)

Nazgul

Reaction score
As far as I know "Shire" is pronounced SH-AYE-R...
I guess you could say it has a long i :)

EverEve

Back from a long hiatus
Reaction score
I've always pronounced it SH-EYE-R (you get what im trying to say?) *shrug* but I guess it's really up to you.

Turgon

Ghost-King of Gondolin
Reaction score
As an Englishman from the fair county of Lancashire, I can definitively say that Shire (on its own)is pronounced with a long 'I' (like eye) it's only pronounced 'sure' at the end of a name, or 'sheer', or 'shaw', depending on where you come from....

Dûndorer

Reaction score
yea, i always said it with a long 'I' sound. but i have trouble saying alot of words in tlotr. not just normal words but places and peoples names. that gives me an idea does any know a web site that says how to pronounce all these words?

HLGStrider

All Knowing Magic Cat
Reaction score
Isn't there a pronounciation key somewhere in either the appendix to the RotK or maybe it was in the Silmarilion... All I know was I found a place that taught me to say Sauron Sour-on and Celeborn Keleborn in one of those two places...

Dûndorer

Reaction score
thats what someone told me but i dont know what one or where to look.

HLGStrider

All Knowing Magic Cat
Reaction score
FOUND IT!!! Back of the Silmarillion, page 384 in my copy.
It's only two pages however and lists the proper sayings of only certain letter combinations, not of all words. It does confirm that Cel is Kel, however.
My copy is the Ballantine paper back... 1982, I believe.

Lantarion

no house
Reaction score
Turgon, EverEve and Nazgul are absolutely correct. The 'i' is indeed long. It would sound silly to say The Shr! :D

HLGStrider

All Knowing Magic Cat
Reaction score
I used to get into arguments with a friend over this sort of thing. He was pronouncing Gandalf Gand-aff and I was saying Aragorn Are-Agorn.
We eventually straightened each other out... There were a lot of other things we could never decide on.

Hirila

2009 - life is great
Reaction score
Another thing: the english pronunciation of "Sauron" is legally with the "au" being like <mother>.
And that`s the way they say it in the film.
But didn`t Tolkien say that it should be pronounced like the German "au" that is the u after an a. A bit like <lousy>.

Thread suggestions