🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

Prototype Debate: Was Feanor Proven Right?

Snaga

The Usual Suspect
Reaction score
Some of you may know the debating is over in the TTF Debating Tournament, and we are looking for a new format of debating that is maybe a little less 'debating for the sake of victory' and more 'debating to learn'.

Walter has suggested a new format, so I thought we should try it out and see how it goes.

Here are the rules:

(1) I, the host, will post a topic.
(2) There will be two teams, each taking one side of the debate. People may put themselves forward to be one of the teams. (ie you choose which side of the topic you are debating).
(3) Each team will have 5 members. When both teams have 5 members the debate may commence.
(4) The team that was filled first, posts first.
(5) The debate lasts exactly one week from the first post. (Extensions may be applied and will be granted at the discretion of the host, if both sides agree and there seems to be more to be said.)
(6) The host will appoint four other judges to assist him in voting for the winning team. Whichever team gets the most votes wins (obviously!)
(7) Each judge may also nominate one 'star debator'.
(8) Normal standards of behaviour in the debate apply... try to be friendly and honest at all times.:)

Ok? Good.... so here's the topic

Published Silmarillion - The Flight of the Noldor
Then turning to the herald he [Feanor] cried: "Say this to the Manwe Sulimo, High King of Arda: if Feanor cannot overthrow Morgoth at least he delays not to assail him, and sits not idle in grief. And it may be that Eru has set a greater fire in me than thou knowest. Such hurt at the least will I do to the Foe of the Valar that even the mighty in the Ring of Doom shall wonder to hear it. Yea, in the end they shall follow me. Farewell!"
Were the (underlined) words of Feanor proven true?

OK... pick your sides. The Noldorin Team will argue 'Yes'; The Valarin Team will argue 'No':D

Elfarmari

Tingilindë
Reaction score
I would like to take the Noldorin side, if anyone else ever joins. . .

Personally, I definitely prefer this type of debate, where you can pick your own side.

C

celebdraug

i will side with the The Noldorin side!
Where is everybody anyway? :confused:

Snaga

The Usual Suspect
Reaction score
There seems a distinct lack of interest. Tis a shame.

C

celebdraug

Snaga said:
There seems a distinct lack of interest. Tis a shame.
i know! *shakes head!*
Well, if i swap sides (tho i dont want to but if no one else is going to show up......) me and Elfarmari (that is if s/he still is participating) can battle it out one-on-one!

Elfarmari

Tingilindë
Reaction score
yes, I'm still interested in participating (I'm a 'she'), although my computer access is spotty right now as internet browser at home freezes when I open the Tolkien Forum (and a few other random websites). I would not be able to check or post every day, so perhaps if the debate were extended it might work better?

C

celebdraug

How long do you think the deadline should be? im on most of the time so its no problemo wid me! :)

Khôr’nagan

Ar-Zigûrlôkhî
Reaction score
I'll take the side of the Valar. They seem to be quite outnumbered in this debate thus far, so I might as well even the odds a bit.

I'm okay with any deadline. I typically only post about this time of night (for me it's 8:14 PM right now. I usually post from 8 until the early morning hours). So when does the fun begin?

Elfarmari

Tingilindë
Reaction score
deadline. . . um, 10 days? two weeks? It's hard for me to say how often I will be able to post. Right now it wouldn't be more than a few times a week. Should we wait and try to get one more person to even up the sides?

C

celebdraug

thats fine, tho not many people are willing at the moment...

Ithrynluin

seeker of solace
Staff member
Reaction score
I guess I could join Khôr’nagan and defend the Valarin side just for fun. Shall we have a two on two debate then (the guys against the gals ;))?

Finduilas

Hope brings Death...
Reaction score
I hope I'm not "breaking" the number of debators here (two-on-two...). I'd like to take the Valarian side, that is "No".
Maybe one more person should sign up? Or I may help with the judging if noone comes?

Elfarmari

Tingilindë
Reaction score
I don't know about anyone else, but I'm fine with having 2 on 3, as long as we actually get to debate! Whenever everyone is ready to start is fine with me.

Ithrynluin

seeker of solace
Staff member
Reaction score
Take my place, Finduilas. I don't feel like debating, and I don't have the time either.

Finduilas

Hope brings Death...
Reaction score
I'd be honoured to. :)
Thanks.
So, is there someone still willing to debate? :)
If yes, when are we starting and are there going to be more members to join?

Khôr’nagan

Ar-Zigûrlôkhî
Reaction score
Wow, this was so long ago...

But yes, I'm ready (as I'll ever be).

Is Snaga aware that this idea has been revived? If not, perhaps someone should PM him...

Last edited:

Elfarmari

Tingilindë
Reaction score
I'm not sure if Snaga is aware of this or not, I'll pm him. . . . For me personally, it would be best if we do not start debating until next wednesday (May 5) at the earliest, preferably May 7. This would also give all of us time to do some research and give some thought to our arguments. Does anyone have a preference for time?

Finduilas

Hope brings Death...
Reaction score
Well, May 9 will be somehow better since I have a birthday on May 7....:)

Is it fine with you?

Elfarmari

Tingilindë
Reaction score
I have an idea. . . let's just say we'll start debating this wednesday, May 12, and see how this goes?
so, I think the teams are:
Khôr’nagan and Finduilas on the Valarin side
and
me and celebdraug on the Noldorin side.

should we set a time limit? I would prefer something longer than a week, so we have more time to think about our posts in between. Should we say two weeks? or is that too long? 10 days?

Snaga said he is busy, and hasn't responded to my pm about judges, but I guess we can worry about that later. . .

Thread suggestions