🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

Prototype Debate: Was Feanor Proven Right?

Finduilas

Hope brings Death...
Reaction score
Ok, the teams are fine.
And about the time limit, I guess that from 12th May till 22nd May will be just as fine too. :)

So if the other members agree, I believe there's no further arrangement to be made....except the judges that is. :)

I'll try to persuade GG or Lhun, or Manveru but I'm not sure whether they'll agree....lack of time... :rolleyes:

Opinions?

And let's finally get this debate started! :D

Elfarmari

Tingilindë
Reaction score
Snaga said:
Published Silmarillion - The Flight of the Noldor
Then turning to the herald he [Feanor] cried: "Say this to the Manwe Sulimo, High King of Arda: if Feanor cannot overthrow Morgoth at least he delays not to assail him, and sits not idle in grief. And it may be that Eru has set a greater fire in me than thou knowest. Such hurt at the least will I do to the Foe of the Valar that even the mighty in the Ring of Doom shall wonder to hear it. Yea, in the end they shall follow me. Farewell!"
Was Feanor proven right? I say yes.

And it may be that Eru has set a greater fire in me than thou knowest.
A smith without peer in the works of his hands, Feanor created the Silmarils, the holy gems capturing the light of the Two Trees. From these jewels sprung all the events which came to be called the Silmarillion. Feanor, called the Mightiest of the Noldor, completely changed the future of his people, for good or ill.

In Feanor was indeed set a greater fire than in any other of the Eldar even in their days of youth. Several episodes show this clearly.

. . the eldest of the sons of Finwe, and the most beloved. Curufinwe was his name, but by his mother he was called Feanor, Spirit of Fire. . . .
. . .in the bearing of her son Miriel was consumed in spirit and body; and after his birth she yearned for release from the labour of living. And when she had named him, she said to Finwe: 'Never again shall I bear child; for strength that would have nourished the life of many has gone forth into Feanor.'
After Melkor's first flight from Valinor, he came to Formenos where Feanor was exiled, and tried to persuade Feanor to flee with him, saying among other things that the Silmarils would not be safe from the Valar.
But his cunning overreached his aim; his words touched too deep, and awoke a fire more fierce than he designed; and Feanor looked upon Melkor with eyes that burned through his fair semblance and pierced the cloaks of his mind, perceiving there his fierce lust for the Silmarils. Then hate overcame Feanor's fear, and he cursed Melkor and bade him be gone, saying: ‘Get me gone from my gate, thou jail-crow of Mandos!' And he shut the doors of his house in the face of the mightiest of all the dwellers of Ea. Then Melkor departed in shame. . .
Who else ever dared to treat Melkor like this? And who else, even of the Valar, perceived the thought of Melkor so clearly?
Then he died; but he had neither burial nor tomb, for so fiery was his spirit that as it sped his body fell to ash, and was borne away like smoke.
This is said of none other of the Quendi.

Yea, in the end they shall follow me.
That this was true cannot be disputed. The hosts of the Valar ultimately followed Feanor into Middle-earth to defeat Melkor.

And now for perhaps the most contentious point:
Such hurt at the least will I do to the Foe of the Valar that even the mighty in the Ring of Doom shall wonder to hear it.
Unfortunately, there is no record of the reactions of the Valar to the actions of the Noldor. We only know this: When Earendil reached Valinor and delivered his Embassy, the Valar completely reversed their previous actions and decisions, pardoning the Noldor and sending a host to defeat Melkor. The hurt that Feanor did to Melkor was not delivered personally – after the Formenos incident, they never met again. However, Feanor set into motion all of the events which caused hurt to the Foe of the Valar.

It was the words of Feanor to Fingolfin which first exposed Melkor for what he was: an unrepentant evil-doer, losing Melkor his place in Valinor and forcing him to flee. Feanor also created the Silmarils, the stealing of which earned Melkor the undying hate of the Noldor, which ultimately, through Earendil, brought about his destruction. The most significant thing that Feanor did, however, was the Oath which he and his sons swore, and the Kinslaying of Alqualonde, and the resulting Doom of Mandos. Feanor's fiery spirit and stubbornness made him unwilling to change course, even with the foreknowledge of defeat:
And looking out from the slopes of Ered Wethrin with his last sight he beheld far off the peaks of Thangorodrim, mightiest of the towers of Middle-earth, and knew with the foreknowledge of death that no power of the Noldor would ever overthrow them; but he cursed the name of Morgoth thrice, and laid it upon his sons to hold to their oath, and to avenge their father.
This ensured that the loss of the Silmarils would never be forgotten. While these things worked often to the advantage of Morgoth, they also caused the hurts which he suffered. Here are three events which were caused ultimately by Feanor.

A. Melkor's fight with Ungoliant. This fight, resulting in Melkor's inability to change his shape, resulted from the Silmarils, which were made by guess who – Feanor!

B. Fingolfin's duel with Morgoth. This duel, after which Melkor never dared to come forth to battle, resulted in Melkor receiving seven wounds, a stab in his foot, and having his face marred by Thorondor. Fingolfin came to ME because he did not wish to be separated from his people, who had been persuaded to leave Valinor by guess who – Feanor!

C. Beren and Luthien's exploits This resulted in Melkor having his lieutenant (Sauron) disgraced, having himself be disgraced by Luthien, who put him to sleep enabling Beren to steal a Silmaril, and in the death of the greatest wolf of all time – Carcharoth. What started this chain of events? Thingol attempted to have Beren killed by sending him on the impossible quest of recovering a Silmaril (which as we already know was made by -- Feanor!).

I think I would be justified in guessing that the Valar would have ‘wondered' to hear of these defeats, as well as the beauty which the Noldor in ME achieved before their ultimate ruin.

Thread suggestions