🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

Psychological Profile # 2 - Gandalf Stormcrow

Ancalagon

Quality, not Quantity!
Reaction score
Psychology: the science that studies the human mind and behavior; mental state.
Psychological: of or relating to psychology; relating to or coming from the mind or emotions: able to affect the mind or emotions.
Profile: a biographical sketch

Second up on the couch; Mr Gandalf Stormcrow

Following on from the theme found here; http://www.thetolkienforum.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3775

I want members to add their interpretation of how they view Gandalfs psychological profile. This could include;

Personality traits,
Issues with Parent(s)
Addictions
Emotional Strengths and Weaknesses.......to name but a few.

Have fun.

Last edited:

Camille

Of the Edain
Reaction score
mmm Gandalf is a good one to be analized, but maybe we might want a psicologist help, Is someone in this forum one of them?

Lantarion

no house
Reaction score
Sorry, I'm too lazy. Contemplating Gandalf's mind is far too complex and long of a process for me to.., er, process right now. :)

Ancalagon

Quality, not Quantity!
Reaction score
See, I think Gandalf probably had the motto; 'if you want a job doing, do it yourself'. He did tend to spread himself too thinly and was renowned for meddling in the affairs of others. Could this be some sort of complusive disorder? Was he a bit of a 'control freak' when it came down to it?

You have to admit, he may have liked to meddle, but he was notorious for not finishing what he started. Look at his role in the Hobbit, leaves to pursue other matters....Sauron in Mirkwood, I ask you!

Camille

Of the Edain
Reaction score
come on guys!!! someone post something this could be a good thread I am sorry I do not have the vocabulary, but I acan think in some ideas:
Gandalf Liked to have the last word at everythig.
he was homeless.
Dress always in grey
Skill to uncover the evil.

Turgon

Ghost-King of Gondolin
Reaction score
Psych-profile of Gandalf the Grey

Turgon: Lie down Gandalf, that's it... just relax and take a few deep breathes... No, no smoking I'm afraid, put the pipe down... I don't care if you do turn me into something unnatural, just put the pipe down. That's a good fellow...

And so it began, Gandalf the Wise brought to this, a shivering wreck on my couch... A hard nut to crack, he'd been keeping his own counsel so long, he found it hard to open up to others.

Gandalf: It's like this, at first I was Gandalf the Grey, but now I'm Gandalf the White...

Turgon: Okay...

Gandalf: And Saruman, nngggg, Saruman was Saruman the White, but now he's not, I am...

Turgon: Yes...

Gandalf: So now I'm Saruman the White and he's Gandalf the Grey? I don't get it... it freaking me out... Elbereth! I think I'm going crazy!!!

Turgon: Look at me Gandalf, Look at me... Breathe goes in, breathe goes out. Breathe goes in...

Gandalf: Hobbits, hobbits, all I can think about is hobbits and Galadriel, oh Galadriel, you're so... nnggg... No, no... the Balrog... he's here, he's going to get me... Arrggghhhh!!!!

A hopeless case I'm afraid; not being able to get any more sense out of the great wizard I had to end our session. Prescribing him a course of Valium, I asked him to return again when he felt a little calmer....

Last edited:

Úlairi

Crying in the Wilderness
Reaction score
That was the single most funniest thing that I have ever read whilst I have been here on the forum Turgon. Why don't you become a comedian? You'd make a brilliant one!

Quercus

The Last Entwife
Reaction score
It's pretty obvious to me . . . Gandalf had A.D.D.

Get that man some Ritalin - he'll be right as rain in no time!

Camille

Of the Edain
Reaction score
Poor Gandalf!! Turgon, your sesion did not go so well!! :(, maybe he was under a lot of presure, maybe he needs a vacation at Valinor, maybe Nienna will be a better terapy.

Ancalagon

Quality, not Quantity!
Reaction score
I don't think anyone has even begun to scratch the surface here. Surely all those well versed in the Rings should be able to identify a little more than has already been offered up here!

Úlairi

Crying in the Wilderness
Reaction score
Originally posted by Ancalagon
I don't think anyone has even begun to scratch the surface here. Surely all those well versed in the Rings should be able to identify a little more than has already been offered up here!
Well, not only will I scratch the surface I will dent it permanently for you Ancalagon. It says somewhere in UT that Gandalf was not in anyway proud, but he was quick to anger. It says also that we will not know much of Olorin, only what he revealed in Gandalf will we know. So, Ancalagon, you have psychoanalysed Gandalf Stormcrow, not Olorin himself, therefore you were psychoanalysing the wrong person. I cannot blame you for this as we do not know much about Olorin's character. Gandalf is a person who does not mind his own business, but sticks his nose into other peoples affairs (at this moment lets completely disregard the fact that is was his mission to do so as it is irrelevant), he is nosy and does not mind his own business. There is a bad point about Gandalf. He usually makes the right judgement (save his decision to go through Moria), and is always correct. I am surprised that this fact did not make Gandalf in anyway proud. He had an innate sense of preminition, he could foresee many things that would happen e.g. that he believed that Gollum may still have a part to play in the end. At this present time I cannot think of much more as I am really tired, so Ancalagon, I hope I have scratched the surface and have given some things for people to debate over.

Thread suggestions