🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

Purely speculative, Galadriel and the company

HLGStrider

All Knowing Magic Cat
Reaction score
There is no way we can find out the answer to this question. It isn't mentioned but...

When Galariel looks into the eyes of the Fellowship and only Aragorn and Legolas can withstand it, what is she tempting them with?

She offered Sam a garden plot of his own... Did she offer to let Boromir have the ring? Aragorn have her grand daughter or perhaps immortality? What do you think?

This is a chance to get physcologically into your character... I love using words I can't spell...

Eonwe

Upper Class Twit
Reaction score
she offered Gimli the caves of Aglarond
she offered Legolas his home back with Thranduil and the wine
she offered Aragorn a chance to wear the Ring like Isildur
she offered Boromir Eowyn in a bikini
she offered Sam Rosie Cotton in a bikini
she offered Frodo a chance to weasel out of taking the Ring the whole way
she offered Merry a trip to Rohan instead of Mordor
she offered Pippin a trip to Minas Tirith on Shadowfax with Gandalf books on tape.

Beleg Strongbow

Superior Elf
Reaction score
Doriath AND Sydney Australia and where ever "SHE"
Originally posted by Eonwe
she offered Gimli the caves of Aglarond
she offered Legolas his home back with Thranduil and the wine
she offered Aragorn a chance to wear the Ring like Isildur
she offered Boromir Eowyn in a bikini
she offered Sam Rosie Cotton in a bikini
she offered Frodo a chance to weasel out of taking the Ring the whole way
she offered Merry a trip to Rohan instead of Mordor
she offered Pippin a trip to Minas Tirith on Shadowfax with Gandalf books on tape.

Aragorn and Legolas i guess wanted stuff that they did'n't know yet and Galadriel didn't straight away tell them
Legolas=Sea and Aman
Aragorn=Rangers at Rohan remember
They were probably the most strong willed as well and the least likely 2 be tempted with the ring. Aragorn also had met her before Legolas is an elf myabe it doesn't bother him or he knew of it before hand.

HLGStrider

All Knowing Magic Cat
Reaction score
I could never decide whether she offered Aragorn the ring and to be powerful or Arwen and his throne.
I always thought she offered the Hobbits their home.
I always sort of knew, deep inside, that she offered Boromir the ring and perhaps awakened the desire in him... Whether she meant to or not is her own business.

Arathin

Sic Lucreat Lux
Reaction score
Ok I think that she offered Legolas and Aragorn nothing or nothing important because she knew that they were strong-willed and would carry on no matter what happened. Maybe I am just being weird, but she displayed slight distrust of everyone else in my opinion.

Quercus

The Last Entwife
Reaction score
I think she must have tempted Aragorn and Legolas with something. I just always figured that they were able to endure her gaze because they were the only two who had had many dealings with elves.

H

Harad

Galadried was testing each of them: offering them what they REALLY wanted in exchange for abandoning the Quest. They all passed, except Boromir. Thats why he was ashamed.

Gimli was offered a Dwarf Ring and the rebuilt Mines of Moria

Legolas, Kingship over the newly expanded Mirkwood, renamed ElfWood the Great.

Aragorn, the Kingship of ME.

Gandalf, promotion to Valar.

Merry & Pipsqueek, their own pub in the Shire

Sam, a chain of Gamgee Garden Shops.

Boromir, the OneRing to fight Sauron.

Snaga

The Usual Suspect
Reaction score
** Whispers ** Gandalf wasn't there Harad. You remember the bit with the Balrog...:D A quick edit, and noone will ever know!;)

HLGStrider

All Knowing Magic Cat
Reaction score
Too late... We all saw it!!!

just kidding... Beleg recently corrected me about something anyway... Sigh...

Anyway, I like to think that Aragorn and Legolas were definately tempted. Why would Tolkien take the time to say they could withstand her gaze if they weren't even tempted?

Arathin

Sic Lucreat Lux
Reaction score
Harad, you also left out Frodo, but that isn't important. I like that Elfhood with Aragorn idea because he got the kingship of ME, and I remember somewhere it saying that he hadn't wanted to rule at that point. That came later on in the quest. I think that is right. Please feel free to correst me on this point.

Snaga

The Usual Suspect
Reaction score
Arathin

I think its pretty clear Aragorn was going to claim the kingship. In the movie he isn't of course! Aragorn might like elf-hood, because then he can shack up with Arwen for all eternity.

But don't these things need to seem to be within her power to give? It wouldn't work as a test if you could just stand there and go 'Yeah right, like you can really give me that!' So I'm not too sure about some of these lists

Dhôn-Buri-Dhôn

Formerly Donnie B.
Reaction score
My guess is that Galadriel could, for a few moments at least, make any mortal believe anything she offered was a realistic possibility.

But would Elfhood have seemed appealing to Aragorn? I'm not sure. He came from a long and proud line of Kings of Men. He admired and respected Elves, and was in love with one; but I'm not convinced that he would have wanted to be one.

I'll go along with the "Crown and Queen" idea as his temptation. Aragorn's greatest desire and ambition was to be the greatest King since Elendil (at least) and to share his life with the Evenstar. I don't think even promotion to Vala-hood would have seemed more tempting to him.

QueenBeruthiel

Reaction score
The temptation for Aragorn waas definately 'queen and crown', as this was his greatest desire.
Galadriel herself stated at her final parting with Aragorn "through darkness you have come to your hope, and have now all your desire. Use well the days".
obviously she knew what he wanted most, and it seems obvious that this is what she would tempt him with.

HLGStrider

All Knowing Magic Cat
Reaction score
... but Aragorn was already trying to get that by going on the quest... I always thought she'd offer something that was dishonorable, going against the quest... like skipping out and going home or taking the Ring for your own purposes. Aragorn was already making an attempt for Queen and Crown, so he could just say "I'll get it my own way, sweetie..."

I think there might be something hard to turn down in becoming an elf, considering it would mean getting Arwen without all the work... or being offered the ring to make the world tremble at his feet and Elrond be glad to offer his daughter to the new lord of middle earth... anyway, he passed whatever it was, so we can just remember that he is perfect... :)

QueenBeruthiel

Reaction score
Yeah, i've been thinking about it more, and you're probably right.
She would have tempted him with something bad. But i'm noy sure about the elvish thing though.
Maybe she tempted him with the option of rejecting the quest, to turn aside from his responsibilities and take the easy way out-give up on his crusade against Sauron, reject the struggle for the crown yet still get Arwen and live a happy stress-free life.

Hama

Scholar and Adventurer
Reaction score
I've come into this discussion slightly late, so pardon me.
Queen B and others: I do not think that Elfhood was a clear possibility for Aragorn. The only men or halfmen who were given elfhood were Elrond, because he had Elven blood, and Tuor, because he married an elf and went to Valinor. Had elfhood been a possibility for Aragorn, it would have been mentioned. I believe, (someone correct me here) only the Valar can decree elfhood, and since Aragorn did not seem like he was heading off to Valinor any time soon, I do not think it was a possibility. He was destined to be a king of men, and if Arwen was to be his queen, she would have had to have given up her immortality. On what Galadriel tempted each of the nine (or eight rather) with, I would list the following:
1)Aragorn - Arwen
2)Boromir - Stewardwhip of Gondor
3)Legolas - the sea
4)Gimli - Moria
5)The four hobbits - Back at home in the shire as if none of this infernal ring business had ever happened

Remember: Pippen had yet to see Minas Tirith, Merry Edoras and Gimli the caves.

Arathin

Sic Lucreat Lux
Reaction score
Perhaps. We will never know. Strider, we all know that Aragorn is perfect, but so is Viggo Mortensen. For anyone who has no idea of what I'm talking about, not many if any, Viggo Mortensen played Aragorn in the movies. Isn't he great?

Hama

Scholar and Adventurer
Reaction score
He was great, in my honest opinion, second only to Cate Blanchett in embodying all the aspects of his or her character. The fact that he was given terrible lines (let's hunt orc) (I am not ashamed of being a Tolkien purist) should not be overshadowed by the fact that he did an incredible job in the film.

Hama

Scholar and Adventurer
Reaction score
By the way, Arathin, I think a discussion of such an issue has a better place in the movie forum. Perhaps you can start a thread on Aragorn there. This place is better suited, in my opinion, for discussions of the book as an independent entity from the film.

Thread suggestions