🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

Question about the Havens

Shadowfax

Wandering Artisianette
Reaction score
the Willamette Valley in Oregon, USA- the mudskipp
I am kinda new to Tolkiens World, so forgive me if I ask some really stupid questions. Ok, Here goes...
Is the place the ringbearers go another shore?
Does anybody everdie there? When good people die in ME do they go there? (is it heaven?)
Will Frodo's wounds heal there?
I would really like to know, because I still get choked up thinking about the Fellowship staying broken, and Merry and Pippin dead, and Frodo maybe dead by the time Sam gets there (wouldn't that stink?)
Can anyone answer my question?

Thorin

LOTR Purist to the end
Reaction score
The Grey Havens are the shores of what is left of Beleriand of the First Age. Cirdan (the oldest elf of ME) sets ships to sail for the elves when they tire of ME and want to go to Valinor.

Valinor is the Blessed Realm where the Valar, Maia and elves dwell. It is hidden from the inhabitants of ME, until the Valar reveal it to those sailing on these ships.

You could say that it is a kind of heaven. Frodo, Sam, Bilbo, (I'm assuming Gimli as well) will still die, but they will live in peace and healing until that time....

Thorin

LOTR Purist to the end
Reaction score
He did.

If you look in the LoTR appendix, he stayed as the mayor of Hobbiton for many years. When his wife finally died, Sam went the way of the elves and Frodo and Bilbo and sailed to Valinor..

*wipes tear from eye*

Turgon

Ghost-King of Gondolin
Reaction score
Cheer up Shadowfax... not even the Valar know what happens to soul after it leaves the circles of the world. I'm sure all the Fellowship are sitting smoking pipe-weed in the great, big Prancing Pony in the erm... void...

Aredhel

Governor of Imladris
Reaction score
*sniff*That part of the book tore me up a whole deal. Every time I read it, it made me cry to read that Frodo and Sam finally are free from the burden of the ring*sob*

ROSEY

Reaction score
Yeah it was the best and the worst part i think,and it tore me up to(-not meaning to sound like an ecco)but if it didnt go as far as the deaths of the fellowship i would have wanted to know what happened to them up until i heared that they were dead is that weird?legolas was immortal right?id hate to have been him and watch all my friends die!:(

Gil-Galad

in love
Reaction score
Originally posted by Turgon
Cheer up Shadowfax... not even the Valar know what happens to soul after it leaves the circles of the world. I'm sure all the Fellowship are sitting smoking pipe-weed in the great, big Prancing Pony in the erm... void...
That's great idea,especially smoking pipe-weed in the great,big...!
Turgon,will they stop smoking some day cause it will dangerous for their health!Are you trying to kill them?!:p :)

daisy

Reaction score
For me, this is what set LOTR apart form other fantasy epics - although the bittersweetness of the ending did remind me in style of Lion, Witch and Wardrobe where everyone is getting older etc. - the fact that frodo is irreperably damaged by his experiences as ringbearer and nothing the elves or Sam or comfort in the Shire do will erase this fact - he is a broken spirit in some ways - so it in not a cut and dry happy ending as J.R could have made....sad though.

Thread suggestions