🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

Question about the island by Rauros.

Wood Elf

Reaction score
Question about the island

I have a question:
At the end of FotR, beginning of TTT, the company comes to that island in the middle of The Great River/Anduin, right before the Falls of Rauros. Is that where Amon Hen, the seat of seeing is? Or is Amon Hen and Tol Brandir and Parth Galen on the western or eastern shore? Because when Boromir dies, he dies near Parth Glen, then the three others send him away on the boat, and they go back to Parth Glen and pick up the orcs trail. If that is on the island, then they would have had to cross one branch of the Anduin to get to shore, but Tolkien just describes them following the orcs path through the night. Which shore are they on when following the orcs? I guess I am a little confused here. Hmm..can anyone make it clearer to me? Thanks,

Gothmog

Lord of Balrogs
Staff member
Reaction score
`Behold Tol Brandir! ' said Aragorn, pointing south to the tall peak.
'Upon the left stands Amon Lhaw, and upon the right is Amon Hen the Hills of Hearing and of Sight. In the days of the great kings there were high seats upon them, and watch was kept there. But it is said that no foot of man or beast has ever been set upon Tol Brandir. Ere the shade of night falls we shall come to them. I hear the endless voice of Rauros calling.'
So Parth Galen is not on Tol Brandir as there has been no-one on there.

Aragorn led them to the right arm of the River. Here upon its western
side under the shadow of Tol Brandir a green lawn ran down to the water from the feet of Amon Hen. Behind it rose the first gentle slopes of the hill clad with trees, and trees marched away westward along the curving shores of the lake. A little spring fell tumbling down and fed the grass.
'Here we will rest tonight,' said Aragorn. `This is the lawn of Parth Galen: a fair place in the summer days of old. Let us hope that no evil has yet come here.'
The Company landed on the side of the river nearest to Rohan and Isengard. So to follow the Orcs they did not have to cross the river. I hope that helps.

Wood Elf

Reaction score
Hey,
So, what places are on the island? I guess I am still confused. Tol Brandir, Amon Hen and the other mountain are all on the island right? And the Parth Galen is on the island too, right? Argh! I don't know!

Thorondor

Indie kid to the end
Reaction score
My heart will always be in the land of sky blue wa
This is how I think it goes. Amon Lhaw is on the east bank of Anduin, Tol Brandir is the island, and Amon Hen is on the west bank where they land(and Frodo has his little visions on the seat of Amon Hen). So to answer your question, when the Fellowship seperates, Frodo and Sam cross the river to the east bank, and those that remain of the company stay on the west bank and head over Rohan.

Wood Elf

Reaction score
Thank you very much Thorondor, that makes things a lot clearer for me. :) This part confused me and I had trouble 'visualizing' it in my head, know what I mean?

Thread suggestions